• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The BPA at 3 is...

D.R.P.

Quote:

You should be asking this question.

When has Billy Knight ever made a pick that was a total bust?

Never.

Billy Knight, as a GM, has picked Stromile Swift, Pau Gasol, Josh Childress, Marvin Williams, and Shelden Williams in the lottery of the draft. None have been busts.

I never called any of those picks a bust, in fact I still believe in Marvin Williams. Let me ask you this what lottery pick for the Hawks has Knight picked that has turned out to be the best pick available at that time?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Walter

Name the last GM who passed on two consecutive R.O.Y.

It's a short list of one I'm certain.

SW, even Childress may be busts for different reasons, but a bust at 5 simly is a rarity.

The simple fact is that BK got the WORST of 3 possible picks three consecutive years in a row. KB, you must stick your head out of BK's rectum to see this.

Note: Anyone else notice that KB is not sticking his head out AT ALL this draft season? Last year it was "SW is horrible and not a BK type player" and "Roy is a perfect compliment to JJ and is a BK type pick" early on. Then he flip flopped like a Chinese acrobat when the BK promise leaked. This year, KB is waiting until BK gives him the signal. KB, whom do YOU want the Hawks to pick and where? Does KB have a mind of his own or is it hard wired to BK's? Maybe we'll find out.

W

That doesn't matter, because there are several GMs that made picks in those drafts that never get criticized for making those picks.

Why doesn't Michael Jordan get criticized for taking Adam Morrison last year over Brandon Roy? Billy Knight is the only GM that passed on taking Brandon Roy that gets criticized for doing so, yet two teams that picked ahead of the Hawks, the Bulls and the Bobcats, both had GLARING NEEDS at the shooting guard position yet took Tyrus Thomas and Adam Morrison with their picks. You don't hear a peep of criticism for that though. But Billy Knight, who has Joe Johnson at Brandon Roy's position, gets criticized for passing on him to take a player that brought what the team needed the most. Portland traded out of the 3rd pick in 2005 and lost the opportunity to take Deron Williams or Chris Paul. Yet, you don't hear any criticism for that even though the player they took looks very much like a bust pick now. However, Billy Knight takes the player that was the consensus #1 or #2 player on the board in that draft, and he gets criticized.

Everyone wants to talk about who the Hawks could have had. How about all the teams that passed on Josh Smith? Do you hear constant talk about them passing on the guy who is probably the 2nd best player from the 2004 draft behind only Dwight Howard? Somehow, Billy Knight gets no credit for drafting Smith. The Utah Jazz had two picks before Smith was taken and took Kirk Snyder and Kris Humpries. Yet, they don't get the constant criticism that Billy gets even though they passed on Josh Smith twice.

Quote:

Quote:

[b ]JUST ASK HORFORD'S OWN TEAMATE WHO IS BETTER BETWEEN YI AND HORFORD.

I've never heard of Noah's jaw publically dropping in awe of Horford even when doing so hurts Noah's own stock. Noah was VERY public about how impressive Yi was. THAT should say something about where Yi stands next to Horford. Noah knows Horford best and he gushes over Yi not Horford. That's big.

Why didn't you respond to this?

W

I said Horford is the BPA at # 3 but not the best available player available at 3 for the Hawks. We don't have to see Noah's jaw drop about Horford, people have actually have seen Horford play full games. Why won't you answer my questions?

Quote:

For all of the Yi lovers why won’t your boy work out versus Horford? Why is it that Yi did not attend the workout drills in Orlando and compete versus any other players?

There goes Parker again to the hole. Did you just hear Mark Jackson say how Parker became unguardable?

Quote:

The Utah Jazz had two picks before Smith was taken and took Kirk Snyder and Kris Humpries. Yet, they don't get the constant criticism that Billy gets even though they passed on Josh Smith twice.

Thats because the Jazz already had Andrei Kirilenko. Also the Jazz aggressively moved up to take Deron Williams in the 05'draft. The Hawks taking Josh Smith at 17 was a no brainer, at that spot the pick had less risk and more reward, just like when the Vikings took Randy Moss.

If you could just get your head out of Billy Knight's arse for one minute.

There goes Parker making my POINT for me again!

Yi is just to much of a mystery to me. If he's so great why is this the first year where hearing about him. Unlike Yao Ming who we heard about for years before he came over. I mean China is only the most populous country in the world.

Quote:

Have you seen Yi play one full game?

Youtube clips don't count.

Can Yi guard Dwight Howard, Eddy Curry, Shaq, Jermaine O'Neal?

Shaq doesn't have any more than 2 years left. Curry is the softest big man ever, and O'Neal is headed to the Lakers.

As far as Dwight Howard, you think Horford can defend him?

Quote:

Yi is just to much of a mystery to me. If he's so great why is this the first year where hearing about him. Unlike Yao Ming who we heard about for years before he came over. I mean China is only the most populous country in the world.

Because you don't follow International basketball. Yi's name has been around since 2002. The guy has 3 titles. He's actually had more popularity than Yao because there weren't as many fans of basketball in China back then.

Quote:

Quote:

Have you seen Yi play one full game?

Youtube clips don't count.

Can Yi guard Dwight Howard, Eddy Curry, Shaq, Jermaine O'Neal?

Shaq doesn't have any more than 2 years left. Curry is the softest big man ever, and O'Neal is headed to the Lakers.

As far as Dwight Howard, you think Horford can defend him?

Horford would do a heck of a better job than Yi. Horford is a Power Forward while Yi is just a forward. Howard is way to strong and physical for Yi to handle him in the post. Yi would be in to much foul trouble to have an impact.

Quote:

Horford would do a heck of a better job than Yi. Horford is a Power Forward while Yi is just a forward. Howard is way to strong and physical for Yi to handle him in the post. Yi would be in to much foul trouble to have an impact.

And Yi could give Horford just as much trouble on the other end of the floor with his quickness, length, and range on his shot.

Quote:

Quote:

Because you don't follow International basketball. Yi's name has been around since 2002. The guy has 3 titles. He's actually had more popularity than Yao because there weren't as many fans of basketball in China back then.

Championships in the CBA (Chinese Basketball League) its not exactly the Euro league.

Quote:

Al Horford, and this is coming from a certified gator hater. The BPAFH (Best Player Available for Hawks) is Mike Conley Jr. Horford’s not the best player for the hawks because he is NOT A CENTER neither is Yi. Conley’s not a reach when Memphis could definitely draft him at #4, since Marc Iavaroni is their new head coach, and his first priority will be to get a point guard, just like when Brian Colangelo became the GM of the Raptors and traded for T.J. Ford. Kyle Lowry only played 10 games last year he can’t be counted on the start next year. For Memphis it’s clearly between Horford and Conley at #4.

For all of the Yi lovers why won’t your boy work out versus Horford? Its simple cause Al would eat Yi alive on the court. Yi would wind up missing and on milk cartons if he went 1 on 1 with Horford. Why is it that Yi did not attend the workout drills in Orlando and compete versus any other players?

Some of the same people that’s on the Yi love boat are some of the biggest Marvin haters, yet they want to draft a 22 year old prospect compared to Marvin being a 18 year old prospect when he was drafted. Yi hasn’t even being playing in the second best basketball league yet he’s 22.

"This is Yi after seeing Horford in the gym, waiting for Horford to leave."

hidesbehindsofa.gif

You make good points.

A good case can be made for Hoford, Conley, & Yi.

Three days ago my mind had narrowed itself down to only Hoford & Conley at #3. They both make very compelling cases for themselves. Each would fill the major hole we have causing an immediate impact.

1. Conley- is lighting quick, great measurments, 40.5'' vertical, & very strong. The guy simpply has the genes of a world class track athelete & it shows. He is the fastest guy in the draft. He is also very savy and smart with the basketball, rarely turning it over. He seems to have the best basketball IQ of any PG in the draft. He has proven he can not only effectivly but almost perfectly run a 1/2 court & fast break offense. His defense has never been in question. He plays the game with the saviness of 4 a year college floor general with world class atheleticm. He has all these strengths and one weakness. He is an average shooter. By no means TJ Ford bad-shooter but will get better. All his strengths will translate to a good PG in this league. Once he learns to shoot better he will be elite b/c every other part of his game is elite

While the subject is brought up that Conley is not #3 worthy I disagree. His athletisam & BB IQ are amazing. A PG has the most effect on his teamtes them any other player on the court. The Hawks turn the ball over almost as much as any team in the NBA. That is due to the lack of a playmaker to creat for our scorers. Without a playmaker our scorers are forced to try and become playmakers for their teamates. Most of the guys feel forced to do this are not equipped to do it but with Lue and AJ rarely if ever actually creating offense with some dribble penetration & creativity big guys try and be PGs resulting in ZaZa, Smith, Marvin, & even JJ to an extent being something they are not and playtivity. They are not PGs & end forcing too much and each turn the ball over at least one time too many a game. If you look at the T/O average for ouu be shocked. With a PG they will be able to play under control.

A PG like Conley will have a profound impact on the team.

Conley fixes this !

Law is available at #11 if no one decides to go back to school. (Hawes has not hired an agent) if Hawes does not stay in the draft, Law will likely be gone before #11. This would make Conley even more valuable as the best and onle NBA ready PG.

2. Hoford is a proven college center for the 2 time defending champions. He is one of if not the strongest guy in the draft. His atheleticm is very good almost great. A 35.5' vertical is pretty impressive for a 6'10'' 245 pound guy. All of this we know translates on the floor. He most definately is a upgrade over our center situation. He is a guy who can finish after contact offensivly. Something no one really does well on the current team. Late in games when the ref swallows their whistle do you want to alwayse rely on jump shots ?

It is imperative to have a guy who can finish in he paint with some contact when the whistle are not being blown like Hoford or some one to creat something out of nothing like Conley or a Home Run like Yi could be.

3. Yi must be home run if he taken and I don't doubt he is not that home run waiting to happen.

He is still the most unknown of any of the players. No one projects him as a center. He is known to shy away from contact but is young. (Hoford is just as young but loves contact).

Never the less, Yi has this it factor or maybe it is just the mystery of the unknown since we have not really seen him.

Yi has basketball skills that are uncanny for player his size. Watching him is almost Durant like if he were doing it against the college competition we are so familiar with. Are unfamiliarity with the CBA does allow us to gage at what speed Yi plays at. But on tape he looks great, better then great, almost unbelievable. He almost looks to good to be true. I would really like to have an honst Del Harris on he phone, I'm sure BK has.

If for some reason Yi turns out to be good but not great he is not the right pick since another good foward really would not have the impact that strengthening our weakest positions with a good PG or C.

I am almost sold Yi will be that great superstar. I'm sure getting there.

The cases for all three are very strong. I am glad I'm not BK. They will all 3 be good but if he misses the one that is great he will never live it down. The pressure in on! Hope he gets the right guy, if there is really a "right guy" out of 3 quality guys like this.

There are really 3 BPA depending on which view point you put your value in. I see all points of view, that is what makes the decision all the more difficult.

• Premium Member

I don't and I don't think many here believe Yi to be a C...

Just another strawman that the Yi haters have built up.

However, here's the truth of the matter about Yi and who he works out with:

At the facility in LA, Yi has been working out against Noah and Hawes. Of the three, you haven't heard much about Noah and Hawes except tha they are in awe of Yi.

You say that if Yi worked out against Horford, Horford would eat his lunch?

Who knows. I don't know and I don't think you really know either. I just think you're trying to promote your boy. SO instead of trying to down Yi, let's talk about your boy.

MCJ... Can't shoot.

Hawks, worst shooting team in the NBA.

How is MCJ the best player for the Hawks??? If he keeps us the worse shooting team in the NBA, the only ones who benefit is Phoenix.. I don't want to send Phoenix a 1 pick next year.

• Moderators

Quote:

I don't and I don't think many here believe Yi to be a C...

Just another strawman that the Yi haters have built up.

Actually, a lot of posts have been wasted on lineups for next season with Yi as a center. I agree that Yi is not a C at this point by any stretch of the mind but that doesn't mean we shouldn't consider him at #3. The Yi as a C line has been run by his more enthusiastic supporters, not "Yi hates."

People who are not enamored with drafting Yi certainly do bring up the prospect of duplicating our current assets because he isn't a C, though. That is a legit line of discussion.

Quote:

You should be asking this question.

When has Billy Knight ever made a pick that was a total bust?

Never.

Billy Knight, as a GM, has picked Stromile Swift, Pau Gasol, Josh Childress, Marvin Williams, and Shelden Williams in the lottery of the draft. None have been busts.

Stromile is basically a bust. Gasol is the only really good pick of the bunch when you consider the talent Billy left on the board.

• Premium Member

I feel that Yi is a PF and maybe in the future could be a PF/C but that's not even relevant to the question should we get him. YES we should get him for his overwhelming potential and talent.

If it were KG, the year KG came out, there would be no question about taking him. Hell, there's no question about taking Durant. I just think it's a straw man mostly by the Yi hate fan club to build up a "he is not a center" argument when that's not even the subject....

• Moderators

Quote:

I feel that Yi is a PF and maybe in the future could be a PF/C but that's not even relevant to the question should we get him. YES we should get him for his overwhelming potential and talent.

If it were KG, the year KG came out, there would be no question about taking him. Hell, there's no question about taking Durant. I just think it's a straw man mostly by the Yi hate fan club to build up a "he is not a center" argument when that's not even the subject....

People probably post projected starting lineups for next season with Yi playing center at least a half dozen times a day right now. You and I are on the same page with Yi (although you sound more sold than I am right now - I am in an "open mind" stage with most of the prospects and haven't made up my mind on anything). If he is good enough you take him without him needing to be able to play center.

I just think a lot of people are pumping him up as a center to resolve the complaint that we would have an overabundance of talent at the forward position.

In my mind, if we draft Yi and think he is ready to compete this season then we need to trade Marvin, Chills, or someone else to round out the roster more effectively.