• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bernie Mullins take on Yi

Rexhawk

Bernie Mullins was on 680the fan this morning with his Breakfast with Bernie Weekly Spot. Here is what he said about Yi during the interview:

1. Billy, Woodson,Fitzsimmons (Assistant GM), and marketing people witnessed Yi's workout in LA as reported by Sekou

2. Hawks staff was really impressed and blown away by Yi's workout. Bernie stated that according to BK and Woody Yi is a "legitimate 7'0 prospect". Bernie claimed that he was the real deal, but admitted that it would be a risk for the Hawks

3. Joe Johnson has vouched for Yi after seeing him play live during the Olympics. Bernie stated that Yi went for 15pts and 7 rebounds against Dwight Howard and company during the Olympic Games last summer.

4. Bernie did not say that Yi was the pick but stated that they will make a final decision once they brought players in the week of the 20th to meet current players and coaches in person. The tone of his voice indicated that they are seriously thinking about Yi unless they get a great trade offer (e.g. Aldridge)

Unless Horford or Brandon Wright have an outstanding workout, Yi will be a hawk. The Hawks can offer him the biggest contract with the 3rd pick. Additionally, Yi is reportedly into Hip Hop culutre. What better place to be regarding Hip Hop than Atlanta.

• Moderators

I thought Bernie was a bit more reserved about who we would take in the draft. He said that BK and Fitzsimmons (strangely, he spent as much time talking up the Assistant GM as Yi) and Woodson went to LA for a private workout and were very impressed with what they saw. He said Yi would be a risky pick and that he wanted to make sure people did not read his comments as Yi being the guy at this point. He also said that BK's phone is ringing off the hook with people wanting to talk trades.

It sounded pretty open ended to me.

Quote:

...Additionally, Yi is reportedly into Hip Hop culture. What better place to be regarding Hip Hop than Atlanta.

Wow...a 7-foot Chinese Rapper...now that would be unique!

(if we do pick him somebody needs to warn him to stay away from the dogfights)

I think Bernie's concern is regarding the fan's reaction if we draft Yi. There is mad support on this board but the average fan has never seen or heard of Yi and would kill this pick on talk Radio. Everyone has seen Brandon Wright,Al Hortford, Noah, and MCJ play deep into the NCAA tournament. Uneducated fans naturally would be upsed if we passed on known names.

The hawks could get pass this problem by drafting a pg (Critt or Law) or trading for one (Luke or Jack). There will not be a big at 11 because Hawes will go to Chicago at 9.

• Premium Member

There's too many players at both college and pro level (not just in the NBA) as well as scouts, coaches and executive who are high on Yi for me to think he's THAT much of a risk. If we do indeed draft Yi I will give him the benefit of the doubt and support him as a Hawk.

Quote:

I think Bernie's concern is regarding the fan's reaction if we draft Yi. There is mad support on this board but the average fan has never seen or heard of Yi and would kill this pick on talk Radio.

Are you saying Squawkers should keep calling 790 and 680 to get this through to their heads?

If BK likes Yi, he won't care for what casual fans will think. Seems like everyone has made up their mind on Yi already. Not like they have a choice. Yi is just too good.

• Moderators

Quote:

I think Bernie's concern is regarding the fan's reaction if we draft Yi. There is mad support on this board but the average fan has never seen or heard of Yi and would kill this pick on talk Radio. Everyone has seen Brandon Wright,Al Hortford, Noah, and MCJ play deep into the NCAA tournament. Uneducated fans naturally would be upsed if we passed on known names.

I think he is more concerned about maximizing the value of our pick through the media than about anything else. If he is really critical of any top prospect I will change my mind.

Instead, I expect that the Hawks will publically offer praise and talk about how impressed they are with Horford, Yi, Wright, etc. in order to maximize their pick.

I don't think the fan reaction will be that bad either. In general, the average fan is going to go by what they read about a prospect. There is a lot of stuff out there about Yi Jianlian that people can read, and some will become convinced that he is the 3rd best player, if not the 2nd best player, in this draft.

I'm a little more reserved in that, because I would rather let my own eyes be the judge than to believe what someone has written. So far, I've got about 18 minutes into an actual game that Yi played in, and I've seen some positives and some negatives to his game so far.

Quote:

I've seen some positives and some negatives to his game so far.

Isn't that true about everybody - including Oden & Durant?

The crux of the matter is Yi has a higher probability of becoming a franchise player than all the other available picks combined.

He is also extremely mature, intelligent and hard working. With that type of freaky athleticism, he is a can't miss prospect.

• Premium Member

Yes, too often I think people watch tape and expect 19 or early 20 year old kids to somehow have a complete game and fail to realize just how many few NBA players have a total package.

Yi has looked impressive against both inferior and superior competition. He has also shown some flaws in his game and in his intentisy level during a game. Do I think its something he can work on and overcome? Absolutely.

Quote:

LOL, if we trade down to #5 and get some scrub player and end up missing out on Horford/Yi, I will be EXTREMELY UPSET

i wouldnt be if the trade was right....they throw in jefferson (which they won't) or maybe perkins (which they might).

I am trying imagine David Stern reaction to that? Well he didn't screw us in this draft. I am guessing he will like the idea. I like this news. Now that Wright isn't a 6'10 Josh Smith. Horford in many people eyes(myself included) would be like drafting Shelden all over again.