• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Latest information (long)

Sothron

There will be a RIOT at Phillips Arena if Billy Knight picks Wright. I mean I dont think Horford is the guy for us either but I would rather take him or Conley who I think is the right pick. But Wright is Young and Raw and we have enough young players on this team as it is So, I dont understand the logic behing picking Wright....

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Give them #3 , Marvin , Childress, Zaza, Salim and Future 1st rounder. That would def. get there attention and they would probably take it. Do you guys realize how good Dwight Howard is and how good he is going to be. This guy is an allstar at 21 yrs old and will be an allstar for the next 15 years his potential is so high. We would still have our 11th pick and to take Conley or Critteon(dwight howards Best Friend). We would have this starting lineup for the future.

Conley/Critt.

Joe Johnson

Josh Smith

Shelden Williams

Dwight Howard

This lineup would get us deep into the playoffs.

Quote:

Quote:

speedy(when healthy)/critt/aj

jj/chill

chill/smoove/jj

smoove/howard/shelden

howard/shelden/solo

So you don't want to trade Chill even to get Howard. What a surprise.

if the only deal included marvin/chill, i would take it, but only if we got to keep #11, so we could get our pg

i'd rather do without sf than without a pg...our #11 this year should NOT be traded unless we are getting a pg back some other way

I don't see the owners will concede Yi. Woody will have to concede Yi but he'll ask for vet-C like Prz or Maglior or something like that. He'll also ask for Jack/Caldarone because he doesn't want put his career at the hand of a rookie.

BK won't take Wright. He has everything to lose and nothing to gain from it. At the end he will go with his bosses.

Every given month hundreds of American millionaire travel to China to cash in on the new World Economy. None of them are treated as royalty. Hawks owners will be treated like royalty if they draft Yi. They'll make more money for this special treatment than they will make from the Hawks. Its such a no brainer from their point of view.

Quote:

I just can't believe Knight would seriously draft Wright unless it was for another team and we were trading with them later in the draft.

I doubt that BK's interest in Wright is a smokescreen because what other team is really interested in him?

• Premium Member

If we took Horford I can see Memphis taking Wright but after that it gets very unclear. I don't think Wright falls out of the top ten but I can't sit here and tell you "team x" would absolutely not let him get past them either.

Thanks for the info...very interesting stuff!

The one thing that's frustrating is I just can't understand why the Hawks never make things easy on themselves and just do the right thing. I know this year there's not a lot of consensus among Hawks' fans, but the one thing we all know is that we don't want Wright.

And I actually don't dislike Wright as much of a lot of people here do - but he's too far away right now and doesn't have the fire we need to help on the boards. So for us, at least, he's not the right guy. I hope BK will eventually acknowledge that.

To me, either get Gasol or Howard at a reasonable price - meaning we can't gut our entire team and not have a SF or a PG, because we have no pick next year and probably don't have a lot of money, so we'd basically be right back we're we started.

So failing a reasonable deal for Gasol or Howard, I really think we need to go with Horford and Critt. I know a lot of people disagree, but I (like Woody) also see Horford as "Amare-lite," not as a Shelden clone. I think he's the safest pick and the guy who will make the most immediate impact on the boards, in the low post, and with his shotblocking. But I also think he has upside and the chance to be the best player five years from now too.

And then Critt gives us a bit of project in terms of learning how to run a team and not turn the ball over. But I think he's got the body, strength and athleticism to play NBA basketball right away. I think he can get out in transition and be effective right away. I think he can slash and score right away. I also think he has a chance to be as good as Conely down the road. And, between AJ, Speedy, and Lue, I think we can afford to bring him off the bench without too much pressure on him.

Overall, I think - outside of a trade - Horford and Critt give us the best mix of readiness and upside. Those guys would make for an exciting team in the East. (And I'm glad to know that the ATL Spirit aren't brain-washed...I've suspected for a while that they either can't afford to make a change at the top right now or else wouldn't be able to convince anyone better to take the job...but of course you can't come right out and say that.)

Quote:

We would trade #3 and Chill with expiring contracts to Memphis for Pau Gasol

Has Memphis lowered their asking price? It was my understanding that when Chicago was discussing trade Memphis was asking for Deng, Thomas, #9 and expirings.

Do you think Memphis is going to cave to Pau's desire to get out?

If so, that would be a hell of a trade for Atlanta.

Thanks for the info Soth. I think my blood pressure just shot through the roof from this thread. I hope Knight does what most other smart gms would do and just take Horford at #3. I dont get this talk that this guy or that guy has more upside then Horford. Why are people thinking that Horford is not gonna get better? I can handle Critt at #11 (even though I prefer Jack or Law). But Wright at #3 would be a tragedy.

Quote:

Thanks for the info Soth. I think my blood pressure just shot through the roof from this thread. I hope Knight does what most other smart gms would do and just take Horford at #3. I dont get this talk that this guy or that guy has more upside then Horford. Why are people thinking that Horford is not gonna get better? I can handle Critt at #11 (even though I prefer Jack or Law). But Wright at #3 would be a tragedy.

Where is Horford going to play????? He is not a center at all and we already have 2 lottery picks coming off the bench. This would make yet another one if Horford was a center or could play center I would be all for it but the reality is he is not. This Horford to Hawks crap is silly we already have 2 Forward starters who want to become allstars they need minutes! I dont want to draft someone to come off the bench that high. This reeks too much of Shelden Williams all over again a guy who we wanted to play Center who just couldnt and sucks azz. I rather take Yi who is a 7 footer or Conley at 3 and watever big man is left at 11. We will regret passing on Conley if we dont get him in this draft. He is going to be a top pg in the league if TJ Ford and Tony Parker can be good players in the NBA so will Mike Conley JR. They both fill needs and not are going to be coming off the bench for there 1st few years in Atlanta. I cant imagine drafting another lottery pick that wont start for the HAwks thats just stupid.

• Premium Member

I honestly think, and this just my saying this, that its 50/50 rather or not they trade Gasol here. Its all up to their new GM to decide if they are rebuilding or not. If they are rebuilding then Gasol is out. If they are not then he stays. There just is not another way to put it.

My quick thoughts:

1. If BK has the ability to take whomever he wants without regard to the desires of ownership and/or his head coach then he needs to be fired immediately. If ownership is so afraid of us missing another ROY of the candidate then they need to dictate to him who they are willing to accept at #3 and at #11. BK has had his chance to prove himself as "trustworthy" with these projects and everyone from the owners, to Woody, to the players, and fans deserve more than that. If BK takes Wright I am walking straight from my living room (complete with broken on draft night plasma) all the way to Atlanta to beat BK to death. I might try and see if Pacman Jones is available to help me out with that chairs.gif

2. Maybe Woody should be given the reigns to the team. Let him be the GM and coach. I have blamed Woody the past year for his apparent lack of a system but maybe it's not his fault. Maybe he simply doesn't have good enough players to comprehend a real NBA system other than a few players like JJ, Lue and SW. Get this man a real, legit big man and PG. Take Horford at 3. Offer something like Chillz/11 or Marvin/11 to Boston for the #5 pick and take Conley.

3. Spirit, if you are reading this, PLEASE GROW SOME BALLS and DO NOT let Billy take Wright. I am okay with him taking Crittenton at 11 but DO NOT let him take such a huge risk on Wright at 3 or anywhere for that matter. The guy has bust written all over him. From working out alone to being so nonchalant on the court the writing is all over the walls on this kid. If we can't make a trade for a young big like Howard, Amare, Aldridge, or Gasol for the 3/filler then please make Billy take Horford. I would even be okay with Yi because I think he will be a star and he will bring a lot of positive attention to the Hawks but he doesn't fill the need for a 5 like Horford can potentially do. I'm not crazy about Horford at the 5 but together with SW they should be able to physically handle any 4/5 combo in the league because of their strength, intelligence, and well taught positional defense.

4. Get Howard. Get Howard. Get Howard. I don't care if we have to offer the Magic the #3, the #11, Marvin, Chillz, and salary filler plus a future first or two. Do it. Howard solidifies us from 2-5 for the next decade and we can make another run at Cassell this offseason to man the point for us until we find a permanent solution. Getting Howard makes us a playoff team instantly, will draw fans, will get Atlanta all kinds of positive national recognition, etc.

Again, thanks Soth for your great information!!

Quote:

Quote:

Where is Horford going to play????? He is not a center at all and we already have 2 lottery picks coming off the bench. This would make yet another one if Horford was a center or could play center I would be all for it. But this Horford to Hawks crap is silly we already have 2 Forward starters. I dont want to draft someone to come off the bench that high. This reeks too much of Shelden Williams all over again. I rather take Yi who is a 7 footer or Conley at 3 and watever big man is left. Because they both fill needs and not just are going to be coming off the bench for there 1st few years in Atlanta. I cant imagine drafting another lottery pick that wont start for the HAwks thats just stupid.

Who said Horford cant play center? YOU GOT FREAKIN ZAZA PACHULIA PLAYING CENTER. And you have Billy Knight saying on radio that Shelden is gonna be played more at the 5? You know why hes playing at 5? Because he cant stick PFS and hes all of what 6'8? Give me a break.

Where is Yi gonna play? Hes not playing center. And your gonna start him over Marvin Williams/Josh Smith? You think the hawks organization is gonna sit the #2 draft pick on the bench and not give this kid every oppurtunity to suceed? Its not even a given that Conley would start here right off the bat. So your arguement for drafting another lottery pick that wont start pertains to your 2 fav choices.

Quote:

Quote:

Where is Horford going to play????? He is not a center at all and we already have 2 lottery picks coming off the bench. This would make yet another one if Horford was a center or could play center I would be all for it but the reality is he is not. This Horford to Hawks crap is silly we already have 2 Forward starters who want to become allstars they need minutes! I dont want to draft someone to come off the bench that high. This reeks too much of Shelden Williams all over again a guy who we wanted to play Center who just couldnt and sucks azz. I rather take Yi who is a 7 footer or Conley at 3 and watever big man is left at 11. We will regret passing on Conley if we dont get him in this draft. He is going to be a top pg in the league if TJ Ford and Tony Parker can be good players in the NBA so will Mike Conley JR. They both fill needs and not are going to be coming off the bench for there 1st few years in Atlanta. I cant imagine drafting another lottery pick that wont start for the HAwks thats just stupid.

I see what you're saying I don't want to miss out on Conely. But I think Horford CAN play center and would start over Zaza. And I think two or three years from now there might not be a huge difference between Conely and Critt, but there would be a huge difference between Horford and whoever falls all the way to number 11.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised that if we took Conely at 3 we ended up with a SF at 11 because he was the "best available." So to me neither situation is perfect, but Horford + Critt seems like the best way to maximize the value of both picks.

All I'm gonna say is, we better come in with players who are gonna help this team, this year or the next. SO if it was my way I'd go with

#3. Horford(60%) or Yi(40%)

11. Crittenton(55%) or Law (45%)

Wright is not gonna help this team, if Knight wants him based on his post skills, whats wrong with Horford, who is a more polished post player, Yi also is more offensively versatile than Wright.

I also really appreciate this post/info..

It does not hurt the Hawks because it does not tip the hand of what finally happens - but it shows us who is thinking what it appears.

My call after reading this (and it pleases me as a Yi supporter), is that we either get Gasol (what BK wants) if Memphis decides to trade him at reasonable cost, or we get the intersection of what owners want and BK wants (in second place) (Yi).

I can handle trade or Yi or Horford but if the pick is kept and the owners get their way then we do need to trade for a defensive C in addition to the draft of Yi and the draft (or trade) for a PG.

I am ok with Woody not getting his way - I've seen enough to believe he is gone once the lawsuit is done, regardless of who wins the franchise.

By the way, is anyone else starting to get really scared of Yi? First of all, he doesn't seem to be garnering a lot of interest from other teams as a consensus top 4 or 5 pick.

And then there's the fact that BK really likes him, which probably means he'll be a disappointment.

And I also get the feeling the owners like him based on his marketing-potential rather than on his actually basketball skill, which to me (since I'm not footing the bills) isn't very attractive.

Basically, I only want Yi if he's got more than just "potential." I want a guy who's ready to dominate in actually five-on-five games versus NBA competition, not a guy with some skill and marketability.

Quote:

I'm sorry but Billy Knight needs to submit to the coach on this one. His track record in the draft(with the Hawks) is not good. Meanwhile the owners are thinking with their pockets (who can blame them) but the coach is the one with the idea thats gonna put the best team on the floor.

You have to be in the playoffs this year and you have no first round pick next year.

No playoffs = no job for knight

Use your head Billy.

Wrong. Billy needs to submit to the owners, and the coach needs to submit to Billy. Does anybody on this board think Woodson is a better coach than BK is at drafting?

Quote:

He feels that the glut of forwards we have simply means that Woodson will have to find new ways to put the best five players period on the court.

Good info Sothron.

Did anyone else notice what I have quoted? Is there some tension between BK and Woodson here?