• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will Horford bring the pick n' roll to Atlanta?

leftwich

At Florida, Horford was generally the guy to initiate the pick and roll when the offense got stagnant. He's got a big upper body, handles the ball well, and shoots well enough from 18 feet and in to be useful in this situation.

The question is will Woody use Horford this way? In other words, in the past have the Hawks not run the pick and roll much because there aren't players fit for it, or because it doesn't fit into Woody's game plan?

I think Law/JJ would be great in this situation with Horford setting the high screen. Who expects to see some of this come next season?

• Moderators

Quote:

I think Law/JJ would be great in this situation with Horford setting the high screen. Who expects to see some of this come next season?

we better see a lot of it in the summer league with those two.

Al Horford's ability to hit the 15-18 foot jumper is another reason this is such a great pick for the Hawks. First and foremost, Al Horford is a pure post player. He's got a back to the basket game with a great drop step move to the basket, but he can also range out and play the high post effectively.

I think Woody will use the pick and roll a lot. Up until this time, I don't think we have had anyone that could truly run the pick and roll well. The last time the Hawks really ran the pick and roll well was when Jason Terry and Lorenzen Wright were matched up.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Al Horford's ability to hit the 15-18 foot jumper is another reason this is such a great pick for the Hawks.

This is why I'm not terrible concerned about Horford at center. If he can play even league average post defense at the 5, his ability to stretch defenses on offense should make him the starter very quickly.