• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Life in The Land of Yi . / Milwaulkee

coachx

manning 2 also did it..

but it doesnt make him racist...he called it ahead of time because of what was going on in China dealings but he diddnt base it on skin color/ethnicity, he based it on information he had concerning china.

Being called a racist is simply not the end of the world. Too many people are accused of being racist, when all they are guilty of his having a differing opinion. White people get paralyzed when confronted with this meaningless accusation. Not me. The way people throw that phrase around these days, it is of little more significance to me that if I were accused of being tall.

Yi is in essence being the racist. he insisted on going to a city with a large Asian population.

if he can't go where there are alot of people that look the way he does he will take his little ball and go home.

Yi is the issue.

Quote:

Yi is in essence being the racist. he insisted on going to a city with a large Asian population.

if he can't go where there are alot of people that look the way he does he will take his little ball and go home.

Yi is the issue.

Good viewpoint. I think there is a little bit of that but mostly its money. Exposure & advertisement dollar. Any highly marketable player would lose a lot of money by being in a small market.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Yi is the issue.

Either Yi or the people pulling the strings for him.

Bingo. The Chinese government (not Yi, not Fagan the agent) are calling the real shots here. They want Yi in a large city with a large Asian population to help make them money. Period. They don't want him playing for a small market surrounded by Midwest Cheeseheads. Blame them. Its not even Yi's call to make.

Just doing a little research on population demographics. Here are percentages of "Asians" living in a few NBA cities:

Atlanta: 1.9

Milwaukee: 2.9

Houston: 5.3

Portland: 6.3

Boston: 7.5

New York: 9.8

LA: 13.0

These numbers are based on data from the 2000 U.S. Census. Source is U.S. Census Bureau (www.census.gov) U.S. Census Bureau

A couple of things. First, only LA has a really significant portion of the population being listed as "Asian". NY has a good sized population and the raw number is significant since NY has about 8.5 million people (2005 estimate), for a total of around 833,000 Asians.

The problem with these numbers is that it treats people from the continent of Asia as a homogeneous group. That is a poor lumping as Asians are a very diverse "lump" of people. For example, the Japanese and Chinese hate each other. Indians and Chinese don't get along either. Southeast Asians (Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia) are quite diverse culturally and don't exactly get along with each other either.

What I am getting at is that the Chinese government hasn't really done their home work. I am not even sure they are looking at the demographics as, if they are did, they would only want Yi to play in LA or NY, or possibly Seattle and/or Portland.

I feel sorry for Yi, as I don't think the actually cares where he plays as long as he gets to play. Every day I am appreciative of living in the U.S., despite all the problems we have here.

Quote:

Bingo. The Chinese government (not Yi, not Fagan the agent) are calling the real shots here. They want Yi in a large city with a large Asian population to help make them money. Period. They don't want him playing for a small market surrounded by Midwest Cheeseheads. Blame them. Its not even Yi's call to make.

And it's not so much the Chinese demographic as it is, Milwaukee is a TERRIBLE sports market.

Look how good their baseball team is yet nobody cares.

It's probably the worst possible situation he could have landed in out of all the possible destinations in the lottery.

Quote:

Kobe did the same thing and he's not Chinese

Eli Manning did the same thing and he's not Chinese

So if you're suggesting that this is only going down because he's Chinese then yes you are a racist

Your such a hater.

What you really are is a biggott who flashes unwarranted race cards at undeserving people.

Quote:

Your such a hater.

What you really are is a biggott who flashes unwarranted race cards at undeserving people.

Im the one WITHOUT the agenda pointing out that there is cases of a black and white player doing the same thing.

So Im suggesting you have a double standard if you're making this about race/nationality in the case of Yi.

Im not calling you a racist, Im saying it's a racial double standard.

Yeah...there are a lot of really rich businessmen in China these days who might want to come over to the states and watch their boys play. Houston is a good town for business (Yao) as would be most teams in CA or the NY area for Yi.

Milwaukee?...not so much. nol2.gif