• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Darko to the Grizz

Guest Riv

This should have some fans here drooling ala Homer Simpson. I mean Darko, Gasol & Conley Jr all together? Its what some wanted in the ATL.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Link

Free-agent center Darko Milicic agreed in principle to a three-year contract with the Memphis Grizzlies on Wednesday, the player's agent Marc Cornstein told ESPN.com Insider Chad Ford.

Cornstein refused to disclose the amount of the deal, but the starting salary is believed to be for substantially more than the $5.3 million mid-level exception.

"We are extremely excited for this new opportunity," Cornstein said. "Darko's going to a team that really wants him. He's going to a young team with an exciting bright future much like his own. We're very excited Darko gets to learn from coach Marc Iavaroni. We believe he's one of the best big men coaches in the game. And we couldn't be happier that he has found a new home where he's appreciated."

Milicic was recently waived by the Orlando Magic to clear the cap room necessary to sign Rashard Lewis.

"Memphis has really pursued Darko since the moment he became an unrestricted free agent last week," Cornstein said. "And I'm grateful for the opportunity they'll be providing for Darko at this stage of his career."

Milicic was the second pick in the 2003 NBA draft. He was taken ahead of All-Stars like Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade and was widely regarded as a draft bust heading into his third season.

Milicic was traded to the Magic in February of 2006 and began to turn around his career. He averaged eight points and 5.5 rebounds in 23 minutes per game for the Magic last season. But he upped his averaged 12.3 points per game in the playoffs this year.

Magic general manager Otis Smith said that the team's top priority in the offseason was signing Milicic, but he reversed course after it became clear that signing Lewis would take all of their cap room.

Milicic should address the Grizzlies' biggest offseason need -- adding a center to play with Pau Gasol. His game appears to complement Iavaroni's up-tempo system.

Guest Walter

Quote:

This should have some fans here drooling ala Homer Simpson. I mean Darko, Gasol & Conley Jr all together? Its what some wanted in the ATL.

Horford simply is not an NBA center. Not next to JS especially. You don't draft 3rd overall with the intent of playing a player OUT OF POSITION, recognizing that doing so in all likelihood diminishes his impact and lowers his ceiling.

Horford (a 4.25) would've done well with a 4.5 though like Darko. It would have been the single likeliest move that would have made me not only receptive but agreeable to drafting Horford.

W

Well, it won't be long now before the Grizzlies are looking to be sold and moved from Memphis yet again. The fan interest in Memphis is going to go down after another season like last year, and that's exactly where this team is heading.

Darko Milicic doesn't improve this team. Why? Because the one thing this team needed the most is defense, and Darko is a below average defender. The combination of Darko and Pau will give Memphis a front court that may be the softest in the NBA. It will be so easy to score on this team inside the paint. Plus, it will end up being a very high priced and overvalued front court in the long run, as neither player is good enough to live up to the contracts they have.

This is the kind of stuff Chris Wallace did in Boston.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Darko Milicic doesn't improve this team. Why? Because the one thing this team needed the most is defense, and Darko is a below average defender.

Darko is the 4th best per minute center defensively and 6th best regardless of MPG per TENDEX. Even I don't think he's THAT good, but he's considerably better than "average". The guy is 22 and can block shots at an alarming pace.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

Horford simply is not an NBA center.

I love ya, bro, but geez... I think you make the mistake of thinking if you say it over and over again that it will actually turn the frog into a prince... love.gif

Please, there is no one that misunderstands your opinion at this point...

And, no other new way for you to cast some new light or thought on your point...

Just be satisfied that you've done your best to persuade, and at this stage, there's nothing more you can do, other than drive people away from your side of the argument, and for that matter, any future sides of any argument.

I say that as a confessed offender myself in that realm.

Okay???

( russian.gif )

Quote:

I think Darko is pretty messed up in the head.

I think his first few years in Detroit really killed his confidence, motivation, love for basketball, etc.

Detroit gave him a hard time simply b/c they were a WIN-NOW team and at one point, im sure Darko just gave up.

Quote:

Quote:

Horford simply is not an NBA center.

I love ya, bro, but geez... I think you make the mistake of thinking if you say it over and over again that it will actually turn the frog into a prince... love.gif

Please, there is no one that misunderstands your opinion at this point...

And, no other new way for you to cast some new light or thought on your point...

Just be satisfied that you've done your best to persuade, and at this stage, there's nothing more you can do, other than drive people away from your side of the argument, and for that matter, any future sides of any argument.

I say that as a confessed offender myself in that realm.

Okay???

( russian.gif )

Very well put Sturt. Maybe Diesel will take some of that advice and give Marvin a chance.

Quote:

Well, it won't be long now before the Grizzlies are looking to be sold and moved from Memphis yet again. The fan interest in Memphis is going to go down after another season like last year, and that's exactly where this team is heading.

Darko Milicic doesn't improve this team. Why? Because the one thing this team needed the most is defense, and Darko is a below average defender. The combination of Darko and Pau will give Memphis a front court that may be the softest in the NBA. It will be so easy to score on this team inside the paint. Plus, it will end up being a very high priced and overvalued front court in the long run, as neither player is good enough to live up to the contracts they have.

This is the kind of stuff Chris Wallace did in Boston.

Dude do you ever have anything good to say about any other team besides the Hawks jesus christ you are so biased its unreal. Every team sucks and doesnt improve but the Hawks right? Get a reality check Homer.

Also I wanna add that the Grizzles lineup and team along witht he Bobcats lineup is much better then ours and they started rebuilding at the same time or after. Every team keeps improving and the Hawks keep making awful draft picks.

Speedy

Joe Johnson

Marvni WIlliams

Josh Smith

Al Horford

or

Mike Conley Jr.

Mike Miller

Rudy Gay

Darko Milic

Pau Gasol

Ill take The grizzles team all day considering who knows what Marvin is going to do and we dont know if Speedy is going to stay healthy and what is Horford going to do. But yet you have homers that only see through a window and believe the Hawks are the greatest team and every other team sucks.

Quote:

Also I wanna add that the Grizzles lineup and team along witht he Bobcats lineup is much better then ours and they started rebuilding at the same time or after. Every team keeps improving and the Hawks keep making awful draft picks.

Speedy

Joe Johnson

Marvni WIlliams

Josh Smith

Al Horford

or

Mike Conley Jr.

Mike Miller

Rudy Gay

Darko Milic

Pau Gasol

Ill take The grizzles team all day considering who knows what Marvin is going to do and we dont know if Speedy is going to stay healthy and what is Horford going to do. But yet you have homers that only see through a window and believe the Hawks are the greatest team and every other team sucks.

Or you have pessimistic people who think every other team is All-NBA and we have no talent even though any outsider will tell you we are one of the most talented young teams in the league

Acie Law = Mike Conley Jr

Joe Johnson > Mike Miller

Marvin Williams = Rudy Gay

Josh Smith > Darko Milic

Al Horford

Hawks Bench > Grizzlies Bench

Iam not pessmitic I just dont have my homer googles on 24-7 this is reality so many on this board bash every single teams moves but yet everything the Hawks do is so good and amazing but yet we still havent made the playoffs in 10 straight years go figure. Rudy Gay is already better and will be better then Marvin Williams will ever be in his life he actually does other things besides scoring he rebounds, blocks shots and plays good defense. Ill take the pure PG 19 yr old MIke Conley JR over combo guard 22 yr old Acie Law and with that said i give the edge to Memphis also Mike Miller is a really good player who does alot of things.

Quote:

Speedy

Joe Johnson

Marvni WIlliams

Josh Smith

Al Horford

or

Mike Conley Jr.

Mike Miller

Rudy Gay

Darko Milic

Pau Gasol

well using that logic, who knows what gay and conley will do?

Quote:

Speedy

Joe Johnson

Marvni WIlliams

Josh Smith

Al Horford

or

Mike Conley Jr.

Mike Miller

Rudy Gay

Darko Milic

Pau Gasol

Grizzlies have been rebuilding since they picked up a rookie named Gasol for a veteran 20/10 guy named Shareef six years ago. That is a two year head start on our rebuilding plan; when we traded away all-star JT 4 years ago.

They missed the playoffs six years into their re-building plan and there is no guarantee that with a rookie PG they will get there this year. Would that be acceptable to you? Us missing the playoffs not just this coming season but the next one or two as well. You still think they are doing that much better of a job than us?

I like what Memphis has done but I also know it has taken them six years to build this team. I also think that defense is going to be an issue for them. I think we have built the better defensive unit and are only 4 years into our re-building plan.

Not being a homer here. Six years is greater than four; I do not care which team is your favorite...

Hmm im not sure what you are talking about.. But the Memphis Grizzles as bad as you say they are have made the playoffs 3 years in row counting out the two previous years. What is this talk that they havent made the playoffs in 6 years. You need to get facts straight before you start an argument. The Grizzles have made the playoffs 3 out of the last 5 years. The Hawk have not made the playoffs in the last 10 years the longest drought in the NBA. Hawks fan should not bash other teams moves when we are pretty much the laughing stock of the league its ridculous. It seems every time a move is made by another team you got Hawks fans bashing every single thing like they are ones to talk its a shame really.

um, hate to burst your bubble here (as well as many others who don't seem to be quite 'up on the Grizzles)...

they're in year two of rebuilding. Remember those 3-4 straight playoff appearences with Pau as their anchor? Rebuilding started last year (by West), when he traded Battier to Houston, getting the pick that was Gay in return (and boy did the team and community miss Battier this year, seriously, you have no idea).

Living in Memphis and having gone to quite a few games last year...it's obvious that most Hawks fans know not of the demeanor or status of the Memphis team or its fanbase...

It's too bad TENDEX doesn't take into account the actual number of easy shots this guy gives up. It's just like any other stat that tries to quantify defensive ability. It fails to do so because it puts too much emphasis on blocks and steals, and you simply cannot quantify the ability to make players work for shots and take bad shots.

Darko Milicic and Pau Gasol are your typical European defenders. Both are very much below average on defense with the exception of blocking shots from the help side. Just wait and see though. I'm sure you will still be trying to say they are good defenders when that team is giving up 110 PPG this season and is allowing teams to shoot 65% from the inside.