• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

addition to coaching staff

DrReality

What do you guys thing about this? Lister is a new face. Hope he coaches better than he played?

By Sekou Smith

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/22/07

The lineup of faces on the Hawks' bench will change considerably this season as coach Mike Woodson confirmed a staff shakeup that has been in the works for months.

Assistant coaches Herb Brown and Greg Ballard, both members of Woodson's staff since he took over the team three years ago, are moving into different roles in the final year of their contracts. Also, former NBA center Alton Lister joins the staff as an assistant coach with an emphasis on tutoring the Hawks' big men.

Lister, 49, played 16 NBA seasons with Milwaukee, Seattle, Golden State, Boston and Portland. He was drafted in the first round of the 1981 draft by the Bucks. Lister spent the past seven years as the men's basketball coach at Mesa Community College. He's also been a long-time instructor at Pete Newell's Big Man Camp, a must-stop for young big men on their path to the NBA and young centers already in the league.

Lister, a 7-footer who was a member of the 1980 Olympic team that was forced to sit out the Moscow games because of a boycott, was a part of the Hawks summer league coaching staff last month in Utah. That crew was led by Woodson's top assistant, Larry Drew, who will return this season in the same position after almost leaving for the same job in Sacramento. Drew accepted the position with the Kings but wasn't allowed out of the final year of his contract with the Hawks.

Woodson's staff for the season is set with Drew, Bob Bender, David Fizdale and Lister joining him on the bench when training camp opens Oct. 2.

Brown, will return in a consultant's role, mainly as a special adviser to Woodson. Ballard, who previously mentored the team's big men, joins the scouting staff.

In other Hawks news, the team has picked up the contract options for Marvin Williams and Shelden Williams for the 2008-09 season.

Hmmmmmm, guess the other big man coach was not getting the jon done ? Alton must have really impressed Drew & the staff with his work on Horford, Williams, and Jones in the rookie league.

I still say Mark Jackson or Mark Price would be just what the doctor ordered / mentoring Law.

I wanted the Hawks to dig up Antoine Carr from his cave to have him coach the big men. Carr was an offensive beast in his prime and eventually became a very good defender in his senior years with Utah and San Antonio.

I'll admit, Lister's resume looks very solid. He clearly has coaching experience. I thought Tyrone Hill was the "unofficial" big man coach. I'm still concerned that non-offensive ex-players like Lister and Hill are working with our guys. How are Horford, Zaza, Shelden and Solomon suppose to expand their offensive games when being tutored by guys who could only score on offensive rebounds?

For those who didn't see Lister play, he was a less athletic version of Tyson Chandler. Strong defense. Zero offense. Same is true for Tyrone Hill.

Quote:

I'm still concerned that non-offensive ex-players like Lister and Hill are working with our guys. How are Horford, Zaza, Shelden and Solomon suppose to expand their offensive games when being tutored by guys who could only score on offensive rebounds?

I agree. Well maybe he can still help Zaza and Solo on D. shrug.gif

At least Smoove had a good "Dream" this summer. scratchchin.gif

I would like to know more about all this. Did Herb lose interest in the whole affair?

One thing about the change in the big man coach - management must not have been content with the development of our bigs. But I don't think anyone who could get an NBA assistant job anywhere else would take a spot on the Hawks given the current status of ownership and the coaching staff lockdown.

I posted that idea when they wouldn't let him leave. I think he would do a MUCH BETTER JOB relating to the players.

Re Lister: most great players don't make good coaches and more so-so players are inclined to be better coaches. Hope that is true. We need to see more improvement from all our bigs. Whoever coached Shleden last year needs to be fired.