• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

With A Competent Coach, We Win Last Night

JackB1

Yes, the missed free throws were all on the players and contributed to our loss last night, but there were some HUGE coaching blunders that also contributed just as much. I feel that with a better coach last night, we would have won the game.

Here are the incidents:

-Smoove not realizing the time left on the clock after that timeout. Woodson should have reminded everyone when they broke their huddle how much time was left.

-Woodson not calling a time out when we had the ball with 20 something seconds left and were running around like panicked chickens looking for their heads.

-Calling the same inbounds plays over and over. Everyone knows to look for JJ off a screen...Why not send someone slashing to the hole once in a while?

-Leaving Marvin in there in the 4th when he was obviously struggling. I would have rather seen Chills in there till the end last night.

-The team seems to have no "direction" coming out of those late game timeouts.

-We don't get the calls from the refs because we don't have a coach that they fear or respect. Woodson will just fold his arms and look like he was asked a trigonometry question.

When we lose, the coaching inadequacies are so apparent. When we win, it's usually in spite of them. When is management going to realize this young team needs a coach that can teach and handle a bunch of 20 year olds. This isn't a veteran team that knows what to do. They need hands on coaching!

Quote:

Yes, the missed free throws were all on the players and contributed to our loss last night, but there were some HUGE coaching blunders that also contributed just as much. I feel that with a better coach last night, we would have won the game.

I haven't even read your post yet. I hit the quote button as soon as I saw your subject. LOL, this should be interesting.

Quote:

Here are the incidents:

-Smoove not realizing the time left on the clock after that timeout. Woodson should have reminded everyone when they broke their huddle how much time was left.

How do you know that Woody didn't do such a thing? And even if he didn't, I'm sure the players were well aware of the time on the clock. These are professionals, not middle and high school kids.

Quote:

-Woodson not calling a time out when we had the ball with 20 something seconds left and were running around like panicked chickens looking for their heads.

We had gotten the stop. There was absolutely no need to call timeout at that time with the ball and a chance to take the last shot. Why they tried to get a quick score in that situation is anyone's guess.

Quote:

-Calling the same inbounds plays over and over. Everyone knows to look for JJ off a screen...Why not send someone slashing to the hole once in a while?

And who would you suggest get the ball other than our best player? Most teams have one or two inbounds plays, depending on where they are on the court. If the main option isn't open, other options break free to get open.

Quote:

-Leaving Marvin in there in the 4th when he was obviously struggling. I would have rather seen Chills in there till the end last night.

Your first valid argument. Marvin struggled both from the field and from the line. Marvin has been money the vast majority of the year though, so i see why Woody stuck with him.

Quote:

-The team seems to have no "direction" coming out of those late game timeouts.

Most of the time, we got exactly what we wanted out of a timeout. We looked to take the ball hard to the hole. We got to the line and missed 3 FTs late. Marvin got to the hole, got fouled, but no call. And JJ went inside and got blocked. I wouldn't call that a team with "no direction".

Quote:

-We don't get the calls from the refs because we don't have a coach that they fear or respect. Woodson will just fold his arms and look like he was asked a trigonometry question.

LOL . . haven't you figured ish out? We just had a win taken away from us by that leprechaun of a commissioner we got. We haven't gotten the calls al year, and it has nothing to do with Woody. It has everything to do with us being the Hawks. The league doesn't give a damn about us. We barely touch somebody and we get a foul. We go hard to the hole, and we MIGHT get a foul call 60% of the time. If Woody would've cussed a ref out, and drew a tech, you'd be blaming him for that.

Quote:

When we lose, the coaching inadequacies are so apparent. When we win, it's usually in spite of them. When is management going to realize this young team needs a coach that can teach and handle a bunch of 20 year olds. This isn't a veteran team that knows what to do. They need hands on coaching!

That's complete BS. This team plays so many close games, that they know EXACTLY what to do in those situations. Ish, we've been in that exact situation I know 15 - 20 times already this season. Almost every game this team plays, goes down to the wire, whether we win or lose. They know what to do. These aren't a bunch of 12 year olds on the court that you have to tell everything to.

If you're going to do this, you either need to give all the balme and credit to the players, or all the blame and credit to the coaches. You don't get to praise the players during wins, but not place any blame on then during losses. Some on this board will let you do that, but I'm not going to let you get away with it.

The bottom line is that even with all od the BS we had to overcome, if our guys hit their FTs, we win that game . . .PERIOD. We shot 54% as a team from the line. 54%. And of the 11 FTs we missed, we had to have missed 6 - 7 FTs in the 4th quarter and OT. Meanwhile, Washington shoots 92% FT and hit damn near every FT during that same time period.

More than any other nit-picking factor that you want to point to, that was the reason why we lost.

Correctemundo. While I can't say that the team might not respond better to a different voice after hearing from Woody all this time (not yet advocating that, but considering it now), I see little to suggest that they aren't being coached properly now. They either can't or don't execute.

Good response, Northcyde.

Question - - How many of those free throws that the Hawks

missed were the coaches fault?

Question - - It WAS the coaches fault that he didn't

remind his team of 12 year old players that they had

only 3 seconds to get a shot away. Why didn't he tell

them? Did he really think that they would know?

Was it Woody's fault that the Hawks made some of those

turnovers that created scoring opportunities?

Makes sense. The players fail to do their job. Don't

blame them, blame Woodson.

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe Woody is a great

head coach. Some things he does, I can't agree with.

I hate his doghouse, for example.

This loss is all on the players. Give THEM credit

for this loss. They deserve it.

blush.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I haven't even read your post yet. I hit the quote button as soon as I saw your subject. LOL, this should be interesting.

Quote:

Here are the incidents:

How do you know that Woody didn't do such a thing? And even if he didn't, I'm sure the players were well aware of the time on the clock. These are professionals, not middle and high school kids.

Probably because of the play design. The PG dribble a bit and then pass to a post up player... this play is probably designed out of a timeout because... that's what coaches do in a timeout. But in this case, the coach didn't realize the time on the clock. Another brain fart from the coach.

• Moderators

I think it would hurt us to fire Woody during this season, but the Wizards game was a prime example. You can't just ride the same 6 guys all night. JJ played 49 minutes?

Plus, did anyone else notice that when Woody went with Chill and Marvin at the end of regulation with AJ on the bench AJ just sat there staring straight ahead while the rest of the bench stood and watched. I give AJ credit for a lot of our turn around (and maybe he was just tired) but it seems when he's not playing he's not happy.

Quote:

I give AJ credit for a lot of our turn around (and maybe he was just tired) but it seems when he's not playing he's not happy.

It was a good move there to have Chills in for defense. We were subbing per possession at that point.....AJ in on offense an Chillz in on defense.

The vet that AJ is should realize this. If AJ was pissed at that sbstitution I would be dissaointed in a 34 year old vet who should see the big picture.