• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's the difference between us and Portland?

TroyMcClure

Even with the youngest team in the league and the third youngest ever, the Blazers have sustained a level of play that our Hawks have never come close to. The difference is one thing. Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif Coaching. Look what a good coach like McMillan does, early on the job, with his star draft pick sidelined. Now look at the job Woody has done. Four years in and his biggest achievment is a five game winning streak. Immediately followed by a losing streak, no less. I'm not trying to convert anyone. I just wanted to point this out. Injuries and youth have always been the last defense of Woodson defenders. You may feel differently, to me though, it illustrates beautifully, the difference between us.

Coaching is definitely a huge part of it but they also have pieces that fit very well together - i.e., a go to perimeter scorer in Roy, a low post scorer in Aldridge and a bunch of complimentary shooters, slashers and role players.

If Oden can come back and just be a top notch defender and rebounder they will be tough to beat in years to come.

1. They have 2 PGs, (Jack / Blake), who are better then any of ours PGs (atleast at this point in Law's career). Blake is also and excellent shooter while Jack is the defender (solid 1/2 punch at PG).

2. Aldridge gives them a true, legit offensive scoring option in the post that forces double teams.

3. Nate McMilian is an excellent coach. He took Seatlle to the Pacific West Championship in Ridnour's last healthy season.

Quote:

Actually the biggest difference is that they are one of the best 3 pt shooting teams in the league and we are the worst.

Bingo ! Funny how good shooting makes other weaknesses all but dissapear.

I wish we had a PG who could shoot like Blake. I thought we were getting one in Law. Hope he finds his touch before next season.

portland can shoot the ball, they make open shots, we miss them. they hit big shots, we miss them or throw the ball away. there are usually three or four shots that matter in a game. they start runs, stop runs, or rip out an opponents heart. portland's players have found a way to hit those shots, ours have not. btw, i do believe portland is playing way over their actual selves. they'll come back after the all star break

Quote:

Actually the biggest difference is that they are one of the best 3 pt shooting teams in the league and we are the worst.

Yeah, but that's just a symptom. He's had four years. Have you ever seen us screen for a 3 point shot? I can't remember the last time I saw it. We've got some guys that can shoot. We've had some in the past. Woody just misuses every shred of talent we have.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Even with the youngest team in the league and the third youngest ever, the Blazers have sustained a level of play that our Hawks have never come close to. The difference is one thing.
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif
Coaching. Look what a good coach like McMillan does, early on the job, with his star draft pick sidelined. Now look at the job Woody has done. Four years in and his biggest achievment is a five game winning streak. Immediately followed by a losing streak, no less. I'm not trying to convert anyone. I just wanted to point this out. Injuries and youth have always been the last defense of Woodson defenders. You may feel differently, to me though, it illustrates beautifully, the difference between us.

The Blazers have good Bigs.. And will get better.

Quote:

Yeah, but that's just a symptom.

LOL

Woody can be blamed for a lot of things but it isn't his fault that we have so few shooters.

Quote:

Have you ever seen us screen for a 3 point shot?

every game. They run a play for JJ when they screen for him at the foul line and he comes from under the basket to pop out for a staightaway 3.

• Premium Member

Quote:

1. They have 2 PGs, (Jack / Blake), who are better then any of ours PGs (atleast at this point in Law's career). Blake is also and excellent shooter while Jack is the defender (solid 1/2 punch at PG).

2. Aldridge gives them a true, legit offensive scoring option in the post that forces double teams.

3. Nate McMilian is an excellent coach. He took Seatlle to the Pacific West Championship in Ridnour's last healthy season.

Along those lines..

While we were concentrating on dime a dozen pieces (forwards), they were concentrating on neccessary pieces (Bigs, PGs).

They've made drafting mistakes (Marvin Webster, trading away Deron Williams).

However, when confronted with Steve Blake like we were... they took him.

When given the opportunity to take Pryz.. they took him.

Portland has not been so controlled by a montra but they actually took good fitting pieces. Whereas we had to have the long/athletic guys...

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, but that's just a symptom.

LOL

Woody can be blamed for a lot of things but it isn't his fault that we have so few shooters.

Quote:

Have you ever seen us screen for a 3 point shot?

every game. They run a play for JJ when they screen for him at the foul line and he comes from under the basket to pop out for a staightaway 3.

So, you've boiled it down to just shooters? Are you serious?

I was thinking of anyone other than Joe. He's the only guy we've ever consistently done anything for.

Quote:

Quote:

Along those lines..

While we were concentrating on dime a dozen pieces (forwards), they were concentrating on neccessary pieces (Bigs, PGs).

They've made drafting mistakes (Marvin Webster, trading away Deron Williams).

However, when confronted with Steve Blake like we were... they took him.

When given the opportunity to take Pryz.. they took him.

Portland has not been so controlled by a montra but they actually took good fitting pieces. Whereas we had to have the long/athletic guys...

I agree with that. However, an enthused, active, intelligent coach could, imo, over achieve, so to speak. Anyone think Woody has overachieved with us the last four years?

Quote:

yep its shooters, they hit shots, we don't. and when i say shots i don't neccessarily mean three pointers, i mean shots that need to be made

That's generally because we have no offense. There is no rhythm. It's not like we have great flow and then we just brick the shot. Our ball movement sucks and has no rhyme or reason. That's why we have so many tentative jump shots, imo.

We could obviously use a quality shooter that can defend and play bigger minutes. We could also be doing better, despite not having one.

Quote:

Reading is fundamental.

I said the BIGGEST difference is 3 pt shooting. They shoot 3 pointers 8% better than we do and have made twice as many.

if you want to blame Woody for that you are seriously reaching. it isn't like you have to set a pick to get Smith a free look from 3. He can get that whenever he wants.

Quote:

Quote:

Reading is fundamental.

I said the BIGGEST difference is 3 pt shooting. They shoot 3 pointers 8% better than we do and have made twice as many.

if you want to blame Woody for that you are seriously reaching. it isn't like you have to set a pick to get Smith a free look from 3. He can get that whenever he wants.

This post isn't about the difference between our respective 3 point shooters. It's about how Woody sucks compared to Nate McMillan. 3 point shooting, like any other coachable aspect of a game, is merely a symptom. I don't want to talk about 3 point shooting. If you think that is the ultimate major difference, then fine. If you don't, what are you saying? I don't really see what you're trying to say. That Woody is a competent coach, he just doesn't have the shooters? Again, I wasn't talking about 3 point shooting. I was talking about coaching in general.

This post isn't about the difference between our respective 3 point shooters. It's about how Woody sucks compared to Nate McMillan.

Funny i thought the title to the thread was

Quote:

I guess i misread it.

Quote:

I don't want to talk about 3 point shooting.

Then you should have made a different title to the thread.

Quote:

That Woody is a competent coach,

I have never said that.

Quote:

#280107 - 01/17/08 01:16 PM Edit Reply Quote

Even with the youngest team in the league and the third youngest ever, the Blazers have sustained a level of play that our Hawks have never come close to. The difference is one thing. Coaching.

What is so hard? I asked the question. I gave my answer. I feel it is coaching. You, obviously feel it is a lack of shooters over a lack of coaching, correct? We disagree. That's about it, right? Why such a hard time? Just because I made a reference to us not really trying to get good looks? You know our offense is garbage and has been for the entire Woodson era.