• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's the difference between us and Portland?

TroyMcClure

• Moderators

Quote:

I feel it is coaching. You, obviously feel it is a lack of shooters over a lack of coaching, correct? We disagree. That's about it, right?

That does seem to be it.

Exodus feels the biggest difference is three point shooting which is not a product of coaching.

Troy thinks the biggest difference is coaching which is exhibited in a lot of areas, including 3pt shooting.

My personal response is the two biggest differences between us and Portland are: (a) roster balance (true PGs, big men, swing men, etc.) and (b) coaching. The overall talent is not far apart (excluding Greg Oden since he isn't playing this year).

Their owner being very committed and having some of the deepest pockets in the league really helps as well. Do you think we could have ever done that Steve Francis buyout thing? Their GM is in a great situation.

Thats definitely not the main reason, but it does play a role.

Quote:

Their owner being very committed and having some of the deepest pockets in the league really helps as well. Do you think we could have ever done that Steve Francis buyout thing? Their GM is in a great situation.

Thats definitely not the main reason, but it does play a role.

Didn't that deal ultimately save them money long term by unloading Randolph's contract?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1. They have 2 PGs, (Jack / Blake), who are better then any of ours PGs (atleast at this point in Law's career). Blake is also and excellent shooter while Jack is the defender (solid 1/2 punch at PG).

2. Aldridge gives them a true, legit offensive scoring option in the post that forces double teams.

3. Nate McMilian is an excellent coach. He took Seatlle to the Pacific West Championship in Ridnour's last healthy season.

Along those lines..

While we were concentrating on dime a dozen pieces (forwards), they were concentrating on neccessary pieces (Bigs, PGs).

They've made drafting mistakes (Marvin Webster, trading away Deron Williams).

However, when confronted with Steve Blake like we were... they took him.

When given the opportunity to take Pryz.. they took him.

Portland has not been so controlled by a montra but they actually took good fitting pieces. Whereas we had to have the long/athletic guys...

I agree with that. However, an enthused, active, intelligent coach could, imo, over achieve, so to speak. Anyone think Woody has overachieved with us the last four years?

TM asking a coach to overachieve is really asking a lot.

Coaches don't overachieve anymore. Can you name one coach that's overachieving in the NBA right now?

I mean if I had to pick one, I guess I would say Nelly. However, he has a lot of talent down there.

Still, overachieving is not easy...

A coach just can't go out and say... today my team will over achieve!!!

It requires him having coachable players. That's why the GM is so so important.

Lenny overachieved while he was here because Mookie, Smitty, and Deke were all talented but at the same time very coachable. When Lenny was given Rider and Jackson, you saw the wheels come off of this team.

I would say Wood has done a job expected of a top assistant. When talent was low, he did nothing. When talent was high, he had a .500 existence. It may be his time to go, but I don't think many coaches put in his circumstance would fair much better.

I think it's a combination of things but shooting is a big part of it. Josh Smith has gotten appreciably better at getting to the hoop in the halfcourt sets, but he still misses way too many close in shots. Offensively we also stand around to much (that's on Woody).

Also, we have guys doing things that just aren't their real strengths and we have guys going up against bigger stronger guys in the paint. Horford is a great energy rebounder but offense-wise we would be much better off if he was facing PFs. He's having to post up 7 footers too often. (That is - when he is made a part of the offense).

Quote:

Even with the youngest team in the league and the third youngest ever, the Blazers have sustained a level of play that our Hawks have never come close to. The difference is one thing.
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif
Coaching. Look what a good coach like McMillan does, early on the job, with his star draft pick sidelined. Now look at the job Woody has done. Four years in and his biggest achievment is a five game winning streak. Immediately followed by a losing streak, no less. I'm not trying to convert anyone. I just wanted to point this out. Injuries and youth have always been the last defense of Woodson defenders. You may feel differently, to me though, it illustrates beautifully, the difference between us.

Well go watch and become a Portland fan then! mad.gif

Quote:

1. Coaching

2. PG's

3. Bigs

I'd say one decent big for us would make a huge difference. Help out Horf and play defense.

That's EXACTLY it. We have those 3 things and we are a MUCH better team that can compete with anyone. Without those 3 things were are just a 500 team. The facts.