• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chad Ford's Proposed Hawks/Knicks Trade

AHF

• Moderators

In Ford's article with ideas to fix the Knicks, he proposes that the Knicks trade Eddy Curry to the Hawks for Zaza/Lue. He says if the Hawks won't do that deal, the Knicks should accept Lo/Lue for Curry.

Interesting food for thought.

• Admin

Talent wise we are winning although Curry is the one of the most overrated centers in the league. He has a really good post game. Although that is all he has.

His contract is large, we are basically giving up FA money for him and he can't rebound or play a lick of defense. Also it means Horford goes to the bench. He has a bad attitude and he doesn't work hard and is out of shape...but he does have a nice low post game (something we need).

I never liked him and during that FA summer when CHandler, him and Dally were available. He was the one I didn't want us to go after. There is a reason why the Knicks have not improved at all by having him and that he didn't help the Bulls do anything.

I brought this up a while back:

http://www.hawksquawk.net/forums/showflat....p;fpart=#268778

I like the idea if these things happen:

1. ownership makes the decision to go over cap to resign Smoove and Chills.

2. we get Curry in a trade for minimal assets (Lue / ZaZa / Sheldon, Speedy, Salim)

I explained why Curry is a better fit with the Hawks then he is with the Knicks in the above thread. No need in repeating it.

I know most take the opposite stance as I do when it some to Curry being a Hawk. However, I think valid points are made on both sides of the debate.

Before you guys make up your minds for yourselves just check out the link.

The Knicks won't trade Curry unless they fire Isiah first. Isiah has never made a trade to cut salary since he's been in New York. You have to remember that Isiah made a huge risk in trading for Curry. He traded two unprotected picks for him despite Curry having a heart condition at the time. He also said that Curry was better than any player in the 2006 draft. I doubt they are going to give him up for an expiring.

As for Curry's value to the Hawks...Curry is a crap defender and rebounder but he can draw a double team down low which we desperately need. I think Curry's defense can possibly be hidden if you surround him with good defenders like Chicago did in 2005 where they had the number one defense despite Curry playing 25 mpg. My only problem with trading for Curry is that he has no passion for basketball. I'm from Chicago(I've seen him in person many times) and I heard a while ago that Curry doesn't step foot inside a basketball gym from the end of the season until mid-August.

Quote:

If we could get Curry without losing a core player we would be NUTS to not do it - or cheap...ASG..ASG..ASG.

I agree. We give up little to nothing and get a big. But I don't see why NY does it. They obviously could get a lot more for him. But they have too many stars and need role players.

The biggest drawback is putting Al on the bench. But it could create a hell of a rotation at the 3-4-5 with Curry, Al, Smoove, Marvin. His presence would help Al and Smoove rebound and block shots.

Quote:

The Knicks won't trade Curry unless they fire Isiah first. Isiah has never made a trade to cut salary since he's been in New York. You have to remember that Isiah made a huge risk in trading for Curry. He traded two unprotected picks for him despite Curry having a heart condition at the time. He also said that Curry was better than any player in the 2006 draft. I doubt they are going to give him up for an expiring.

As for Curry's value to the Hawks...Curry is a crap defender and rebounder but he can draw a double team down low which we desperately need. I think Curry's defense can possibly be hidden if you surround him with good defenders like Chicago did in 2005 where they had the number one defense despite Curry playing 25 mpg. My only problem with trading for Curry is that he has no passion for basketball. I'm from Chicago(I've seen him in person many times) and I heard a while ago that Curry doesn't step foot inside a basketball gym from the end of the season until mid-August.

you don't need to be in chicago to hear all that. i heard all that before the draft as well. he's only playing the game for money.

This fanbase has got to be the dumbest in all of basketball. We need a post presence. Curry is a top 5 offensive post player. He is a legitimate big. We theoretically get him for a big and a point that are almost useless to us. I'd even throw in Shelden to sweeten the pot. All this board then bitches about is how Curry isn't a "Perfect" big. But guess what HS...ain't no perfect big comin! Horford is playing out of position. There are no free agent bigs that are available that aren't stiffs. We have no draft pics so we can't draft one.

Therefore since we can't have a perfect big, we have to build one from parts. Curry is the offensive part, and Horford is the rebounding, defensive part. Even though Curry isn't a defensive stalwart, he helps us when we play teams that have big front lines..i.e the Bucks

I wouldn't necessarily put Horford on the bench. Sure, it would be unpopular to bring a guy off the bench making the money that Curry does, but I would do it initially.

Horford is important from a defensive and rebounding standpoint to start and finish games, so I'd definitely keep him as the starter. When we're winning games at the end, Horford would be in. If we're losing at the end, and need offensive options every trip down the floor, Curry would be in.

The dimension that Curry would give us, is a guy that someone like JJ could get the ball to down low, when teams try to double JJ on the perimeter when the shot clock winds down. Curry also forces people to defend him down low. He draws a foul 20% of the time when he shoots, which means he can get the opposing center in foul trouble.

But to obtain Curry and not lose Chill, may immeadiately make us a contender in the East. Then the decison will have to be made on Chill over the summer.

JJ, Curry, and Smoove would give us 3 players making 10+ million, but we could still be just slightly over the cap if we lost Chill and kept everybody else. But if we lost Chill, a guy like Mario West has to immeadiately be able to somewhat fill the backup 2 role.

Then you'd have the MLE to possibly go out and get a shooter that you can bring off the bench . . or you can move Shelden ( possibly for a pick ), to draft a late 1st round or a 2nd round shooter.

Let's see if I can give a minutes breakdown, to justify this deal.

C: Horford 20 minutes / Curry 28 minutes

PF: Smoove 34 minutes / Horford 14 minutes

SF: Marvin 34 minutes / Chill 10 minutes / Smoove 4 minutes

SG: JJ 34 minutes / Chill 14 minutes

PG: AJ 22 minutes / Law 20 minutes / JJ 6 minutes

JJ - 40 mpg

Smoove - 38 mpg

Marvin - 34 mpg

Horford - 34 mpg

Curry - 28 mpg

Chill - 24 mpg

AJ - 22 mpg

Law - 20 mpg

( by the way, this is why teams have TIMED SUBSTITUTIONS, in order to properly try to separate the minutes. All basketball coaches have a set ideal of when and how much PT a player will get. )

That's pretty much a solid 8-man rotation, that can be tweaked depending on foul trouble, matchups, etc. Against a team like Phoenix, Curry would probably play much less. Against a San Antonio, much more. JJ and Smoove would still have to play a lot. Chill's minutes would be reduced to make room for Curry.

Curry is an offensive player, so you use him in that regard. Don't have any illusions that he will dominate the paint on both ends of the floor, because he's not. Smoove would still have to roam to block shots and rebound, along with Horford. Horford might become a more potent offensive weapon because he'd be able to play PF for 1/3 of the game.

I can see everybody's scoring averages staying the same, with maybe Horford's scoring being up slightly. JJ's ppg numbers may stay the same, or go down a little. If it goes down, expect his assist numbers to go up.

As for Curry, he'd replace offensively what Shelden, Lue, Zaza could give us.

14 ppg - 5.5 rebs - 56% FG . . and considering that Zaza and Shelden routinely shot in the low 40%, that's a big improvement. Curry's offense in the beginning of the 2nd and 4th quarters, may make us a much more consistent offensive team for an entire game.

Quote:

All this board then bitches about is how Curry isn't a "Perfect" big. But guess what HS...ain't no perfect big comin! Horford is playing out of position. There are no free agent bigs that are available that aren't stiffs. We have no draft pics so we can't draft one.

Therefore since we can't have a perfect big, we have to build one from parts. Curry is the offensive part, and Horford is the rebounding, defensive part. Even though Curry isn't a defensive stalwart, he helps us when we play teams that have big front lines..i.e the Bucks

Excellent post.

( talking like Rick Pitino )

"Moses Malone ain't coming through that door folks. Dikembe Mutumbo ain't coming through that door."

Quote:

I wouldn't necessarily put Horford on the bench. Sure, it would be unpopular to bring a guy off the bench making the money that Curry does, but I would do it initially.

Horford is important from a defensive and rebounding standpoint to start and finish games, so I'd definitely keep him as the starter. When we're winning games at the end, Horford would be in. If we're losing at the end, and need offensive options every trip down the floor, Curry would be in.

I agree. Curry would be best off the bench. Bring him in at the 5 minute mark of the 1st quarter and let him feast in the paint on back up centers allowing JJ to get the early breathers we are never able to give him.

Curry would be a tool used for a specific purpose. When that funtion is not needed the tool gets put back in the box. The problem now is we are missing that tool all together.

Quote:

Quote:

I agree. Curry would be best off the bench. Bring him in at the 5 minute mark of the 1st quarter and let him feast in the paint on back up centers allowing JJ to get the early breathers we are never able to give him.

Curry would be a tool used for a specific purpose. When that funtion is not needed the tool gets put back in the box. The problem now is we are missing that tool all together.

I'm glad to see you guys state this. I was trying to post earlier on my T-Mobile Dash phone but kept getting an error. (FYI. Do not get a T-Mobile Dash phone. Windows Mobile SUCKS!!!)

Ok, back to the post... I would Mos Def do that trade and bring Curry off the bench. Give him the same minutes Zaza and Lo have been getting. He is an upgrade compared to those guys.

• Premium Member

Let me give you one link why this trade is a poor one:

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/da...aries/hawks.jsp

The Hawks can't afford to have a poor rebounding, poor shotblocking, detrimental ballhog on the roster for 3 years, $31M after this season just to come off the bench.

If you want a scoring big, go after Mehmet Okur. He can open up the floor for the wings, has a better contract, and can rebound, pass, and defend as well as Curry.

Adding a post scorer without addressing the perimeter needs would be foolish.

• Moderators

Quote:

I was waiting for someone to propose the White center alternative. At least it wasn't Prizbilla this time.

Pryzbilla is a waste other than as someone to play very limited minutes.

I don't know what White/Black has to do with Curry/Okur. There has never been a season in Curry's career where he averaged as many rebounds as Curry. Is that because Curry is black?

We need post scoring, we don't need a GD rebounding Stiff...that is what Zaza is. We take the hardest shots in the league because we don't have a post presence. Curry, when he is on is one of the Top 5 centers in the league in post offense. He is not a big rebounder but in our system he doesn't have to be. Curry is the cheapest way to get a dominant player.

I wish there was some way we could get Crawford along with Curry. In order to do that, ownership would have to agree to go over the cap to at least re-sign Smoove or either somehow convince NY into taking on Speedy's contract. Either way, I see ways it would be beneficial for us to get Curry. He's definitely a post presence we don't have and could probably be had for much less than Pau Gasol....much, much less. He doesn't rebound or block shots like Pau either.