• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

hawks Jeremy Richardson to 10 day contract

PureGreatness

• Premium Member

DX.com

Quote:

“A body like Rawle Marshall, and a game like Rip Hamilton” says D-League Senior Coordinator of Basketball Operations Brandon Barnett.
“The wing player with the most upside in our league”
says Director of Basketball Operations Chris Alpert. You think they like him in the D-League? After watching him play twice and sitting down with him between games, it’s not hard to tell why.

Jeremy Richardson started his college career at Copiah-Lincoln Community College. From there, he went to Division II powerhouse Delta State, where he was only named to the all-region second team by Daktronics. He got a little bit of exposure for himself by working out with
ohn Lucas—who was extremely high on him it must be said
—and earned himself NBA workouts with his local Houston Rockets, as well as the Washington Wizards and Milwaukee Bucks, mostly off Lucas’ recommendations. We had him pegged as a player who should be invited to the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament after watching tape on him against Florida State and from his conference tournament, but that wasn’t enough to get him an invite to the PIT or the pre-draft camp.

Without the assistance of an agent-- his father still handled his business for him as late as last week—he found his way onto a D-League team after being shrewdly selected in the 2nd round by Fort Worth. Since then, he’s averaging 18.5 points on 47% shooting from the field and 40% from the 3-point line.
He was one of the hottest names amongst NBA scouts during the D-League Showcase
in Sioux Falls, and it really wouldn’t shock anyone if he were to be called up this season once non-NBA playoff teams start bringing up players with upside that they want to take a look at.

Upside would be a good place to start his scouting report.
Standing 6-7 with an
extremely long wingspan,
Richardson has great size for the swingman position. He is a very good athlete who can get to where he needs on the court thanks to his quickness, and he elevates off the floor smoothly for mid-range jumpers with nice separation. Richardson has a quick release on his shot, and he made a great living for himself in Sioux Falls by
coming off screens and curls endlessly knocking down shots. He didn’t force a thing
in either of his two games, which helped him hide
his biggest weakness at the moment—his ball-handling skills. Richardson is much improved in this area compared with what we saw in college, but he still has a ways to go.
He prefers to pull-up from mid-range rather than taking the ball all the way to the hoop, and therefore is averaging less than 3 free throws a game in the D-League so far. His frame is also on the lanky side, which doesn’t help him much in this area. Defensively, though, he does a good job due to his length and work ethic.

As noted, he should be considered a prime candidate for a call-up this season, and will surely be an interesting player to follow over the summer.

Wow. This isn't "Bibby for trash," but two straight solid moves for Knight is hard to deal with.

This guy is still VERY raw, and is the best wing in the NBDL. I really hope he sticks this season.

honestly the only problem i have is that we didnt make it for the whole season...i think being signed to a 10day contract, changes how a player plays in some degree (maybe make mistakes trying to make something happen or too much pressure on shots)...i think he has some potential to be a poor man's corey brewer (yes that's right, i used a poor man's reference)....

but should give him the whole season and see where he is at...if you don't think he'll get much playing time, fine, but help him develop in your own system as opposed to leaving it up to the NBDL to do it...now you can't do that for anyone but i think jeremy richardson you could.

• Premium Member

Quote:

honestly the only problem i have is that we didnt make it for the whole season...i think being signed to a 10day contract, changes how a player plays in some degree (maybe make mistakes trying to make something happen or too much pressure on shots)...i think he has some potential to be a poor man's corey brewer (yes that's right, i used a poor man's reference)....

but should give him the whole season and see where he is at...if you don't think he'll get much playing time, fine, but help him develop in your own system as opposed to leaving it up to the NBDL to do it...now you can't do that for anyone but i think jeremy richardson you could.

If he has a "season-ending injury" and he's on a 10-day, you just let him go. That's the only reason for not signing him for the rest of the year. He'll likely get another 10-day after this one.

Pierre you scared me for a sec but dope track lol

Man J-rich has a chance to be a really sick shooter on our squad if he's givin Consistent PT..not alot..but consistent ya know...He could be like a JJ-Lite who was on the Suns...a transition deep bomber..if he fits that role with Super Mario slashing and J-chill being the garbage man then this bench could be kinda nice

Quote:

Richardson has a quick release on his shot, and he made a great living for himself in Sioux Falls by coming off screens and curls endlessly knocking down shots.

Which is exactly what we need.

Quote:

his biggest weakness at the moment—his ball-handling skills

Quote:

is averaging less than 3 free throws a game in the D-League so far

No biggie. We have other guys who can get to the line. We are top 10 in the league in free throws made.

Quote:

Defensively, though, he does a good job due to his length and work ethic.

So he can make jumpers and play D. Sounds good to me.

I have a feeling we'll see Richardson more than we'll see of Salim. One guy has to be inactive with our 13 players, my guess is SS rides the pine in a suit.

The reports on Jeremy look good. I hope he can flourish with Bibby and JJ getting him the ball off screens. Man will that help the offense.

Did I miss something? Have the Hawks traded a swingman recently?

If not, is this guy going to take time away from JJ, Childress or Marvin? Doesn't Bibby's acquisition limit the time Childress will play at the point (not that he should have played point anyway) so in turn require Chill to get his minutes as JJ and Marvin's back-up?

I thought the Hawks needed big-man depth after the trade?

Richardson is needed to fill out the roster and provide backcourt depth. The team needs a shooter off the bench as well that can defend the bigger guards. Hence, Richardson, IMO gets time over Salim. This isn't to say that he'll see the court that much, but he'll get more minutes than Salim.

I think that this signing probably isn't anything long term but it does allow Chillz to get the majority of his minutes backing Marvin up at his natural 3 and Jrich will be a much more prototypical backup SG. If anything I think it will take minutes away from Mario.

I'm sure we will have another big man signed by the end of the week.