• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Cavs trade for Wally, West and Wallace

DeacKillsaDevil

I think that's a pretty darn good move for the Cavs. I have always felt like Gooden was underrated but Wallace will more than replace what he provided other than a little offensive help. Hughes didn't fit in with that team and couldn't stay healthy and isn't nearly the shooter that Wally is. West still has a chance to be a good player as well.

Interesting deal...I don't see the point of the Cavs taking on Wallace though. He's got the worst attitude of any player in the trade and he's going to get even less minutes and be even less effective in Cleveland than he was in Chicago. West/Wally/Smith all seem like excellent fits playing next to Lebron though.

I was trying to figure out their new starting lineup? Surely, you don't bring Ben Wallace or Big Z off the bench with their contracts do you?

Gibson

James

Wally

Big Ben

Z

That's a few people playing out of position and Gibson's far from a true PG, but unless you start West, who else starts? Eric Snow?

Quote:

I think that's a pretty darn good move for the Cavs. I have always felt like Gooden was underrated but Wallace will more than replace what he provided other than a little offensive help. Hughes didn't fit in with that team and couldn't stay healthy and isn't nearly the shooter that Wally is. West still has a chance to be a good player as well.

Why?

I mean Ben Wallace has been pretty bad this year. His contract is God-Awful. His defense used to more than make up for his offensive defencies, but I don't think they do anymore.

Wally is a decent player, but vastly overpaid. He's a spot up shooter. Thats about it. IMO, you can get close to the same kind of production out of someone like Brent Barry or Matt Carrol who likely would've come at far less expense.

• Premium Member

Quote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3257159

Let's see: Cavs get Wallace, Szerbiac, West and Joe Smith.

Chicago gets: Gooden, Hughes, Simmons, and Brown.

Seattle gets ending contracts and Marshall.

Gentlemen, now is the best time that the Hawks have to go somewhere.

While Wallace will improve rebounding and defense.... they gave up too many athletic players to get him. Plus, Szerbiac is a great shooter, but you already have 2 guys standing on the three point line already. They will miss the defense of Hughes and the veteran leadership of Marshall.

Chicago didn't improve a whole lot either. They add yet another SG. BUT.. They make Noah the man. I don't know if that's good or bad. Noah is so sometimy.

I kind of like the deal for Clevland in the respect that when they do win games its because of their defense and having Wallace back there helps a whole lot. They added to their strength in my opinion. Wally can shoot and Hughes seems like he is always hurt.

Quote:

This seems like a trade just to appease Lebron temporarily. Cavs still don't have a real PG. What is Paxson doing btw?

I think Ben Wallace is a cancer so they just traded him for whatever they can get. Hughes is pretty bad but he's been playing much better recently and Gooden is solid with a solid contract. I'd probably take Hughes or Gooden over Wallace especially when you consider he's 33 with 2 more years on his contract after this year.

Quote:

This seems like a trade just to appease Lebron temporarily. Cavs still don't have a real PG.
What is Paxson doing btw?

Getting rid of a mistake.

Getting younger.

Saving a few million.

Dumping a cancer.

What do you expect Ben W to net them?

Its essentially a garbage for garbage trade. We don't like our garbage, we think their garbage smells better.

I think this deal is better for Cleveland than people realize. West was actually a pretty good pg for the Celtics. he can hit the 3 and play good D. He doesn't break down the defense that well but he doesn't need to with Lebron there.

Having so many shooters will really open things up for Lebron and Big Z. Joe Smith is a good pickup for them too.

I'll go ahead and address this point by point...

Quote:

Paxson signed Wallace in the first place.

Yes, it was a mistake. Now he is trying to rectify that mistake. Wheres the issue?

Quote:

Now they can pay Hughes + Badden = $20M next year instead.

Or they could continue paying Wallace and Smith 21million for next season. The Bulls saved approx 3 million by doing this trade, and Larry's contract doesn't run longer than Ben's. Whats your point?

Quote:

Oh and they lost a productive and expiring contract player in Joe Smith.

Drew Gooden is just as productive, and just as expiring as Joe Smith - what's your point? I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about.

Quote:

SO is Skiles coming back now?

Considering he quit on the team, why would they want him back?

Quote:

Yes, it was a mistake. Now he is trying to rectify that mistake. Wheres the issue?

Well at least he's consistent.

Quote:

Or they could continue paying Wallace and Smith 21million for next season. The Bulls saved approx 3 million by doing this trade, and Larry's contract doesn't run longer than Ben's. Whats your point?

I think you fuddered those numbers a bit. But hey whatever it takes to make you feel better.

Quote:

Drew Gooden is just as productive, and just as expiring as Joe Smith - what's your point? I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about.

You're playin yourself.

Quote:

Considering he quit on the team, why would they want him back?

I think it was the other way around.

At first thought after seeing this trade, I said... really?

But after looking at it... I like it... but don't love it for the Cavs.

They still lack a reliable #2 option to go with LeBron. However, Gibson when he gets back from injury and Wally on the perimeter gives you 2 40+ percent 3 point shooters and Damon Jones is good from range too. Joe Smith still has a very consistent jumpshot. Not to mention they were able to keep Z. That should give them a pretty decent committee to be the #2 option.

But the team defense is going to be absolutely amazing when they all get used to playing together. Big Z and Wallace clogging the paint is a scary thought. West plays very solid defense for a guard as does Pavlovic whenever he gets back.

This team is also BUILT for the playoffs. A frontline of Z, Wallace, Varejao and Joe Smith is pretty damn good.

• Moderators

Quote:

I think this deal is better for Cleveland than people realize. West was actually a pretty good pg for the Celtics. he can hit the 3 and play good D. He doesn't break down the defense that well but he doesn't need to with Lebron there.

Having so many shooters will really open things up for Lebron and Big Z. Joe Smith is a good pickup for them too.

West was the guy who I also thought about when I saw these names. He isn't bad at all as long as you don't need him to run your offense.

It would not surprise me to see West and Smith make as big an impact as Wally & Ben. It is the acquisitions of West and Smith that make me like this deal for Cleveland.