• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gearon, Jr. - "I Was Misquoted"

Traceman

I don't believe anyone's "word". What i believe is the the ASG owns 70% of the Hawks/Thrashers but pays 100% of the bills. They also have to pay their legal bills and have to worry about taking a huge hit in a Belkin buyout.

Would any of you be spending freely in their shoes? Would you be willing to pay the luxury tax on a team that struggles in a weak conference?

1. I'm not so sure the Hawks are a lock for the playoffs as Gearon seems to be. They are a few wins behind New Jersey and Philly right now. Their best chance actually is to catch Washington whose wheels seem to be falling off the wagon.

2. I slam the ASG all the time but think about one thing. They are now committed as Gearon says to spending money in the same ballpark as the upper let's say 1/4 of the NBA in salary after resigning a bunch of young players but damn, where are the results?

That's the enigma of this Hawks team. There are some really good pieces in place that will hog up some serious cash to resign but the poor bastards can't win!?!?

Poor Woody. You almost have to fire him in order to see if he's the reason the Hawks are underperforming. You have to.

You gotta love being a Hawks fan!

• Premium Member

Quote:

I hope what Gearon said, Gearon means, but with the salary dump on the Hockey side with Hossa, you do have to wonder.

I think Gearon can mean what he says... BUT Gearon is not ASG. It's useless talking to one of the ASG because you can't take anything that one says as LAW...

Quote:

Quote:

...It was interesting that Gearon made the point that we wouldn't have Horford/Acie if we had picked Paul or Deron. I've made that same point several times...

It's true. Had we picked Chris Paul we would be the third best team in the Eastern Conference right now (with a brighter future than Boston or Detroit too)...but we wouldn't have Al Horford or Acie law. Thank goodness BK dodged THAT bullet.

3rd best team in the East - with what line-up? Paul, JJ, ZaZa and the Joshes...who else fills out the roster? Also, you can't make projections on who we would have drafted as that line-up nets the pick of a borderline playoff team. No doubt we'd be in the playoffs but proclaiming us to be the 3rd best team in the EC with that line-up is a stretch.

This is the ASG:

http://www.nba.com/hawks/general_info/staf...ory_001220.html

Gearon Jr. was saying it is a 7 man ownership. The web sites list 9 but I guess he was not counting Belkin and his representitive Riccio.

That leaves:

1. Bruce Levenson - Owner

2. Michael Gearon, Jr. - Owner

3. Ed Peskowitz - Owner

4. Rutherford Seydel - Owner

5. Michael Gearon Sr. - Investor

6. Beau Turner - Investor (Ted Turner Blood)

7. Todd Foreman - Investor.

It is pretty common policy for NBA teams to say they are going to sign their RFA - even if they aren't. That is the only way you can bait someone into doing a sign and trade OR scare off any potential suitors because you will match their offer. It will not be worth the risk becuase Atlanta could hold their free agency money hostage until the decline the offer. Very very common and we saw it with Joe Johnson here.

Now - he may or may not sign the Josh's but just becuase management is saying they will doesn't make it so.

• Premium Member

Quote:

This is the ASG:

http://www.nba.com/hawks/general_info/staf...ory_001220.html

Gearon Jr. was saying it is a 7 man ownership. The web sites list 9 but I guess he was not counting Belkin and his representitive Riccio.

That leaves:

1. Bruce Levenson - Owner

2. Michael Gearon, Jr. - Owner

3. Ed Peskowitz - Owner

4. Rutherford Seydel - Owner

5. Michael Gearon Sr. - Investor

6. Beau Turner - Investor (Ted Turner Blood)

7. Todd Foreman - Investor.

I wasn't saying that Gearon is not a member of ASG... I was saying that he does not speak for all of ASG.

We have seen that there has been plenty of riffs in ASG... Even in the Washington based ASG and Atlanta based ASG.... That makes it very hard for Gearon Jr (the Maverick) to speak for all of ASG. I supposed that Gearon Jr. just runs his mouth a lot and then has to get called out in private by the rest of ASG...

I think this is one of those times.

That's why ASG needed Bernie. He could talk to Both groups, get a majority opinion and say that.... When Bernie was fired, all hell is going to break loose with our handling of the media.

Quote:

...3rd best team in the East - with what line-up? Paul, JJ, ZaZa and the Joshes...who else fills out the roster? Also, you can't make projections on who we would have drafted as that line-up nets the pick of a borderline playoff team. No doubt we'd be in the playoffs but proclaiming us to be the 3rd best team in the EC with that line-up is a stretch.

You might be right that it's a bit of a stretch. No way to prove it one way or the other obviously. But we'd have an all-star 2 guard with an MVP candidate PG. Josh Smith is somewhat inconsistent but he is certainly a force - plus you would have free agents much more interested in coming here cheap as well as whoever we drafted at the lesser draft positions. Zaza isn't good but he would at least be a body...and JC would be great moving without the bal finishing off CP assists.

It's all water under the bridge now but the comical thing (that they were laughing about on 790 Afternoon Saloon) is that Gearon actually made the point that "if we had drafted Paul we wouldn't have Al or Acie". So? That's a mega-lame arguement.