• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who should be the next coach of the Hawks?

KB21

Let's have some serious discussion with this. Who should be the next head coach of the Atlanta Hawks? Should the Hawks go with someone that has head coaching experience, or should they go with another first time head coach?

One guy who intrigues me is Maurice Lucas, a guy who presides over an offense in PTL that actually moves the ball. Lucas sold a business for millions that he created so he's obviously a sharp guy.

When I watch PTL and the way they play in the West, I want that offense here. PTL is not loaded with talent but they move the ball...6-9 passes almost every time down, ball screens, screening away, fundamentally sound.

We don't have a superstar. We have 5 good players so lets use all 5. This "offense" Woody runs is all iso crap. I'm ready for some real basketball.

I dont know if Luke would even take the job. But he's an intriguing guy who is smart and played with amazing intensity.

i say we bring in hubie brown. we need some discipline on this team and need to learn how to play efficiently. one thing that brown did in memphis was make sure they didn't make any stupid decisions. the grizzlies played some of the most mistake free basketball and that was with jason williams (white chocolate) and damon stoudmire running the show. right now we are playing like a intramural squad. we need to get some professionalism in here.

I would be all for Hubie Brown if it wasn't for the fact that he probably couldn't make it through a season with a well coached team, let alone the Hawks. I don't doubt that he could turn us around in a year or two but I wouldn't want to see the old guy die trying.

If we go outside I would go for Paul Silas or Jeff Van Gundy, at least they have been successful coaches at this level and teach fundamentals. Either that or try and poach one of the better coaches currently with another team.

It's very difficult, if not impossible, to bring in a new HC mid-season so you gotta give it to Larry Drew on an interim basis and see how he performs.

My choices for the offseason would be Jeff Van Gundy and Rick Carlisle. I'm still uncertain about Larry Brown as, at this point in his career, he often lets his ego get the best of him and refuses to play younger, talented players -- and usually wears out his welcome within a few years regardless of how much success the team has. He certainly would be a giant step up from Woody (almost anyone would be), but I'd prefer RC or JVG...

I forgot about Jeff Van Gundy being available. I know that in the past, he has had some very good things to say about the young players on the Hawks, and I have always speculated that he has been intrigued by the defensive potential of this team. If offered, I believe he would take the job.

As far as Hubie Brown is concerned, I don't think he would be interested. Mike Fratello is a young Hubie Brown though. If you hire him, you will get a coach that will be very disciplined that will emphasize defense and playing in control on offense.

I've always supported bringing the Czar back but it seems like if it was going to happen it probably would have happened already.

I'm not a huge fan of the style of play that Van Gundy employs because his teams are never good offensive teams but they usually play great defense and we should be able to get plenty of easy baskets in transition if we actually played defense again.

I really like the idea of Silas due to the immediate respect he will demand and recieve. IMO, Silas can get Smith under control and Marvin more aggressive. Hell, he may even light a fire under Zaza's lazy butt. Players get better under Silas, but he burns out the team over a few seasons.

I also like the idea of Van Gundy. The guy can coach. The observation that his offense sucks is correct, so I am not sure he's the right coach for this team the way its constructed as of today.

Last, I like Scott Skiles. The guy has experience with young teams. The Hawks actually are a better balanced team than the Bulls right now, so giving Skiles this team might work. Skiles is a task master, but I think the team really needs someone like that.

Fratello used to be my choice, and he may work out. If Mike can get the team playing like he had them in the mid-80s, then the Hawks would be fun to watch again. I just can't watch the team for long stretches any more because I know what is going to happen with them.

• Premium Member

I think they should let Larry Drew finish out the season. Next year though I would like to see Fratello and maybe we should just go ahead and pull the plug and get Mike in here now. One thing this teams needs is laedership and we really don't hve one whether coach or player.

Fratello would bring leadership and get this team on the right path.

Something about Larry Brown bothers me.

PLEASE don't bring in Rick Carlisle! His offense is entirely half court. That is the exact opposite of what our young guys should be doing. Carlisle is a good coach for an established team, but not one with a run and gun offense (or atleast a team that is supposed to be a run and gun offense).

I really don't know who would be the best coach, but I think Bill Laimbeer should be included in the discussion as well.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Let's have some serious discussion with this. Who should be the next head coach of the Atlanta Hawks? Should the Hawks go with someone that has head coaching experience, or should they go with another first time head coach?

We need a coach who understands uptempo offense but also understands winning basketball.

For that reason, I say Del Harris.

If he says NO, I say Alvin Gentry.