• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Best Game By Marvin In A LOOONG time!

JackB1

Quote:

12/19 shooting in 42 mins...25 pts and 8 rebs.

If we can somehow get Marvin to play like this every night, we would really have something.

something I have noticed in the last two games, especially in the Clippers game. the game plan seems to be setting Marvin up early to get his game going...it's as if the coaching staff (gasp) recognizes that Marvin disappears if he's not involved in the game. and he doesnt involve himself unless it's starts off someone involving him.

but i'm not getting my hopes up.

They have been doing that (or attempting to do that) for most of the season and it was clearly working until Marvin injured himself. Up until that point he was by far our most consistent scorer and you could count on him for 15-18 every single night while shooting close to 50% and getting to the FT more than anyone on the team.

Let's see if he keeps this play up because if he is healthy and playing like he did the first half of the season he makes us a much more difficult to defend team.

How exactly is he a crappy player? He is an inconsistent young player, just like all of our young players are. Excluding when he was injured he was FAR more consistent than Josh Smith but I don't see you slamming him. All of our young players have gone through ups and downs expecting anything other than that from Marvin is expecting too much. There are only a handful of players in the NBA that have come in and performed at a consistent high level from very early on in their careers and none of them are Hawks.

THIS WAS NOT A GOOD GAME FROM MARVIN! Yes he strung together some nice wide-open jumpers in the 2nd half, but were you watching the lack luster energy he was giving us since the beginning of the game? This just goes to show the HORRIBLE basketball being taught by woody, after marvin hit a few in a row in the 3rd they had a close up of him and he was smiling as if he was having a super game when actually it was mostly his late closeouts and non exsistent help D was the reason why the knicks were so close in the first place!

I think our players think its ok to do nothing defensively and show no effort if they hit a few shots, this is ridiculous. If I was coaching Marvin never even would have had the chance to hit those shots because I would of had Mario West in at his spot. Because West would of gave me the defensive intensity and hustle that would of rubbed off on all our players! All we need is one to show the heart to play D and all of our players would pick up, creating a top defensive team.

Quote:

THIS WAS NOT A GOOD GAME FROM MARVIN! Yes he strung together some nice wide-open jumpers in the 2nd half, but were you watching the lack luster energy he was giving us since the beginning of the game? This just goes to show the HORRIBLE basketball being taught by woody, after marvin hit a few in a row in the 3rd they had a close up of him and he was smiling as if he was having a super game when actually it was mostly his late closeouts and non exsistent help D was the reason why the knicks were so close in the first place!

I think our players think its ok to do nothing defensively and show no effort if they hit a few shots, this is ridiculous. If I was coaching Marvin never even would have had the chance to hit those shots because I would of had Mario West in at his spot. Because West would of gave me the defensive intensity and hustle that would of rubbed off on all our players! All we need is one to show the heart to play D and all of our players would pick up, creating a top defensive team.

Obviously YOU didn't watch the game. Sounds like a jealous Tech fan thats mad that your boy don't get more pt. Mario West this, Mario West that; give me break!

Not only am i not a g-tech im barely even a collegebasketball fan so your wrong. I am totally impartial to Mario West im talkin based on past displays of defensive intensity I have seen from the kid. You sound like you nothing about the game, whatever your probably a casual fan thought saw a nice box score and is just talking out of his ass...

Quote:

Hey, it's better than no defense and no points.

Marvin is our 2nd best defender you fool. Mario has potential to be that, but right now he is not. He is young and gets called for fouls too often. If he was guarding players like Tmac, Kobe,LeBron continously they would have about 20 ft easily.

Don't get me wrong i like Mario and want him to play more even if it means a little less minutes for Marvin, but to say that Marvin sucks defensively and Mario should take most of his minutes is stupid.

Quote:

This is one a million game for this guy.

it is his 16th 20+ point game this year in 64 games, so 25% of the time

some other games THIS YEAR:

21/5 on 50% shooting

24/7 on 47% shooting

33/7/2/3 on 60% shooting

20/6 on 44% shooting

22/6/3/2/1 on 46% shooting

19/9/4/1/1 on 67% shooting

18/8 on 71% shooting

22/3 on 58% shooting

26/9 on 53% shooting

21/6 on 57% shooting

20/5 on 58% shooting

23/6 on 53% shooting

17/10 on 44% shooting

13/10 on 50% shooting

16/6 on 54% shooting

19/6 on 60% shooting

20/12/6 on 38% shooting

22/6/2/1 on 67% shooting

those comprise of 28% of his games this year, and don't include last night's game or 6 of his other 20 point games, so 39% of his games this year were 20+ games and/or listed above

and there are still other games not included like:

11/9 in 28 minutes on 50%

10/14

13/9

12/8/3/2

14/5/5/1/1 on 50% shooting

11/4/3/2/4

so we are now at 48% of his games that he did a good job in...and he's averaging 15/6 on 45% fg and 82% ft with 5.4 trips to the line each game

he's also one of our top defenders as well

he's far from perfect and has a lot of growing up to do, but he's hardly 'crappy' or only has good games '1 in a million'

hardly '1 in a million'

• Moderators

Marvin had a nice game. But really he's our 3rd or 4th best defender just out of the starters. I can't see how you can say he's a better defender than Smoove or Horford. And I'd probably take JJ over him.

I'm glad to see Marvin knocking down jumpers again. I hope he keeps it up. My issue with him is that his consistency (as far as scoring 15 a game) comes when we run a play to get him wide open jumpers. People knock Chill but he consistently delivers the same amount of scoring without a play ever run for him. My point being Marvin needs to get back to where he's knocking down jumpers AND getting to the line like we saw flashes of earlier.

Which line is better? I'm not knocking Marvin but Chill is unheralded:

Min FG 3Pt FT +/- Off Reb Ast TO Stl BS BA PF Pts

M. Williams F 42:25 12-19 0-0 1-4 +8 2 8 1 0 0 1 1 2 25

J. Childress 26:25 6-8 1-1 9-10 +17 4 9 0 1 3 0 0 2 22

Marvin our 2nd best defender! LOL.. now i KNOW you barely know anything about good basketball, please just stick to watching dont ever pick up a coaching job. Marvin puts no effort on the defensive end he lets people by and never gets a hand up in the opponents face. lol "our second best defender fool!" haha.

Im not saying for West to officially take marvins spot but use West as a threat to Marvin letting him know hey if you dont give effort on D I will play someone who will. Then when Marvin is out of the game, and sees his minutes falling he will give more energy once he does begin to slowly reinstate his minutes.

Quote:

Marvin our 2nd best defender! LOL.. now i KNOW you barely know anything about good basketball, please just stick to watching dont ever pick up a coaching job. Marvin puts no effort on the defensive end he lets people by and never gets a hand up in the opponents face. lol "our second best defender fool!" haha.

Dumbest post i have read in a long time. Welcome to my filter.

I'm so glad Marvin finally got a chance to take more than 10 shots. I mean, the guy has a better shooting % than most of the team, including Joe. The problem is that he usually gets about 10 shots off during a game. While he makes about %40 to %50 of those, it limits his scoring.

Joe and Bibby did a great job of recognizing when Marvin was open. It forced NY to play man-to-man defence, which in turn benefited the whole team.

This is a TEAM game and the Hawks are finally acting like one.

Quote:

Quote:

Dumbest post i have read in a long time. Welcome to my filter.

To your filter?! lol do you think you know any more about basketball then I do because you spend your whole day sitting on the computer posting?

Anyway all im saying is that we cant have players feel like just because your past resume is greater than another you are guranteed mintues (talking about marvin being 2nd pick and West as a unsigned pick). I see no passion in this team coming from anyone except JJ, what I think we should do is bring it back to college days for these guys for a couple practices, make it a try-out, a competition for minutes. Everyone has to start over and EARN their starting position by using our athleticism (which the hawks have a abundance of) to play hard nose defense & rebound and to RUN the fastbreak every chance down. I would put money down if we had a competition like that you would see marvins minutes be cut to a high energy guy like west.