• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OBAMA makes racist comment on Philly radio

NJHAWK

Yeah I am a veteran and while I wasn't in the war in the middle east I have spent about a year over there in various places.

The problem we face is that Iran, Saudi, China, etc. are all drooling over the idea of controlling the oil in the middle east and if we pull out and all of those nations go at it trying to control the oil can you imagine the price of oil considering where it's at now? I would love to be able to pull out and have a garrison that stays behind to help guard the oil but until we are able to get Iraq to the point of being able to defend theirselves and hopefully come to some sort of agreement with Iran I just don't see it being possible. Iran definitely worries me though because just like North Korea they are capable of making a very rash move and try to flex their nuclear muscle.

To answer your question though, no I don't think a garrison of soldiers would be able to protect our oil interests there at this time.

I really think that the reason we went into Iraq was to control it as a staging ground since out biggest ally in the middle east, Saudi Arabia, wouldn't let us stage out of there even though we have had a presence there for many years so with the threat of Iran growing stronger and the possibility that China will eventually make a run at the oil in the middle east we had to do something.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

I can tell you with a fair amount of certainty that we won't be leaving Iraq in our lifetimes. We still have a presence in every country where we have had a major war and Iraq will be no different. While I hope we won't actively be at war there, I don't expect us to be pulling out and I fully expect this conflict will move into Iran in the coming years.

To me the biggest issues are education, health care, reforming the welfare system and national debt.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to matter who is in the white house since Presidents rarely do what they claim they will do while campaigning, for whatever reason.

Actually, I can agree with you.. but Frosgrim makes a good point.

Science has to be in the forefront.

Here's why.

Our economy right now is based on Oil. This administration not only went to war for that, but they have kept down any advancements that would limit that.

We have to come up with new Science for:

our failing power grid system.

a true substitute for Oil consumption.

Developing new forms of energy for whole cities.

Maybe we need to build some new Nuclear plants?

Maybe we need to look at wind power?

Something has to be done soon.

That's not even mentioning Stem Cell research.

The US has to take the lead again in Technology. We are definitely a consumer nation now. We need to become a producer again.

Moreover... Here's my list.

1. Education = If our children can't read and do math and science, what's the point.

2. Science.

3. Fair trade.

4. Health Care.

5. Social Security reform.

6. National Security. - If we're not doing these other things, what is there to protect?

6a. THE BORDER. - The last thing I want is a borderless thinking president. Every worker must be documented and paying taxes to the US. PERIOD. They take advantage of our commodities, they need to pay in. That applies to H1 Visas also.

As far as the war, One thing is that we can't afford to keep sending billions of dollars to this war if we're not getting anything but body bags from it.

Yeah, no question if any white person said something about a "typical black person" they would be executed in the media/general public.

About the other stuff, what this country needs is less government. We don't need the government getting involved in healthcare and adding a level of government bureaucracy to an already terrible healthcare system. Everything needs to be privatized, we need to get rid of about 80% of government spending and eliminate the income tax. Then we will have taken a step toward freedom and people would be able to afford to live a more comfortable and healthy life without government interference.

The federal government should provide for the national defense and not much else. And when I say defense, I actually mean defense.

The standard of living for the average person in this country could be so much higher if the people would just force the government to stop squeezing them dry for things that they don't even get any benefit from.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The federal government should provide for the national defense and not much else. And when I say defense, I actually mean defense.

The standard of living for the average person in this country could be so much higher if the people would just force the government to stop squeezing them dry for things that they don't even get any benefit from.

I believe that there should be some type of "big brother" for businesses. Without the government's intervention there would be monopolies in areas of business. We have had just a taste of that in what we see at the gas pump under the Bush administration.

Not only the fact that the price of gas has skyrocketed and gas companies are recording windfall profits, but also, there has been a limit on new technologies that would begin to free us of the choke hold of oil. I'm not a child, I know we have an oil based economy, however, we have to start taking steps to get out of this ridiculous choke hold that oil has over us. And yes, that's both political and a defense problem because once we take away the need for middle eastern oil (and it has to happen and will happen when technology is allowed to move forward) there will be poor middle eastern countries ready to fight.

Quote:

Quote:

I believe that there should be some type of "big brother" for businesses. Without the government's intervention there would be monopolies in areas of business. We have had just a taste of that in what we see at the gas pump under the Bush administration.

Not only the fact that the price of gas has skyrocketed and gas companies are recording windfall profits, but also, there has been a limit on new technologies that would begin to free us of the choke hold of oil. I'm not a child, I know we have an oil based economy, however, we have to start taking steps to get out of this ridiculous choke hold that oil has over us. And yes, that's both political and a defense problem because once we take away the need for middle eastern oil (and it has to happen and will happen when technology is allowed to move forward) there will be poor middle eastern countries ready to fight.

I don't know, if we can find a cheap, renewable alternative to oil, I think there will be less fighting overall because everyone will have more of what they need, and poverty will start to disappear.