• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Big News.... Terry to Denver?!!?!?!!

Diesel

• Premium Member

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_2079623,00.html

In reply to:

New Jersey unrestricted free agent Jason Kidd is a long shot. Then there's Andre Miller, a Clippers restricted free agent who said Sunday that Denver is high on his list, and Atlanta restricted free agent Jason Terry.

"Absolutely, he's interested," said Terry's agent, Raymond Brothers. "His first choice is to return to the team he's on. But Denver is a young team that is putting together some good pieces, and that's definitely a team that has some interest."

Denver has deep Pockets... Mello.

Their lineup could be:

JT/Posey/Mello/Nene/Olowakhandi.

I think they'd offer Terry 60 million if they don't get Arenas!

LOL I tell ya....If we can't keep FA's over Denver that

we can forgetaboutit.Horry for Dog?

Dickau

Diaw

Dermarr

Shareef

THeo

We'd really have it going on!

• Premium Member

Think about it from Kasten's point of view.

JT has put up good numbers as a SG but not so good numbers as a PG. In fact, as a PG, he's less than mediocre.

AOL (right now) has more than 50 million dollars invested in this team with NO Sgs and Dickau as a PG.

If Denver comes along with a 50 million dollar deal over 7 years... That's roughly.... averaging 7 million per year. meaning that JT starts at about 6.5 million... Do you think that JT is worthy of 6.5 million dollars?

In fact, if you could get Dre' for the same money or less to match Denver's offer would it be as simple as you say?

Our draft was what it was in order to find some guys who could help compliment JT. Is he worthy of 6.5 million when he is an incomplete player?

BY THE WAY, I will have a question to all you who propose trading Grob for a pack of skittle sour... But I don't know, maybe our problem is the same one that Philly had to overcome. The Short man is not always the PG.

If you want to say PG numbers then JT had very good PG numbers last year. How many PGs in this league put up 17ppg and 7apg on a bad team?

Now I can understand the arguement that JT isnt a great PG, but he is a good PG that this team can win with. However, he needs some help and hopefully Diaw/Hansen can help him.

the 50 million number is what I fear. I'm guessing that we offered JT a fair contract, but not exuberant...something around 35 for 6...with the thought that we might go as high as 40-42.

If you could get Miller for 50 million, as much as I love JT, I do it and part ways. You're right, keeping JT requires that we fill the backcourt with certain players, because he is an incomplete player and can't change that aspect of his game, his height.

50 million's just too much. Maybe it's the high end, but Dickerson and White Chocolate just got lucky, the same way Jamison did that year, in that those sort of contracts just aren't "given out" anymore, in this new, and better, financial environment of the L.

yeah you are right 50million is too much, 40 million is all I would offer. Even if we could find a tall point guard such as an Eric Snow, we still would be hendering the progress of possibly Dermarr and Boris Diaw who both have more upside than Terry.

that much and I don't think the Clippers would take back that much in salary for him. Due to the fact that Miller is unattainable, I think that paying JT around $50 million is not only possible, it's probable. That doesn't mean that JT is as good a PG as Miller, it simply means that is what we may HAVE to pay to retain JT. The drafting of Diaw almost makes it a neccesity to sign JT in my opinion.

We can sign JT to a 7 yr/$48 million deal starting at an even $5 million in the first season. I would definitely be willing to pay JT that much, realizing that EVERY team can offer him at least a 6 yr/$34 million deal. We are probably going to have to go a little above market to resign JT. If he could get equal money from a contender, even though he likes the ATL, he might just head out the door.

.....only $42 million?

Miller is not nearly the threat from the point guard position that JT is. JT is a much better shooter, better penetrator, and he's a lot better in the open floor than Andre Miller.

If you want to slow the team down and stagnate the offense, then you sign Miller and drop JT. Who would Atlanta have to shoot from the perimeter? Diaw? Robinson?

• Premium Member

That's why.

If we had it to offer, I would definitely put 50 million out there for Miller.

If we could SNT Nazr to LAC for Miller and give him a 7 year deal, I would do it.

There's a great difference. All the things you described of JT is those things that makes him a good SG. He's not a PG. Once we embrace that, I think we could move forward.

We also need to recognize our need for a PG.

Instead of trying to find all kind of Compliments for JT.

Why put something out there that you KNOW is not going to happen?

that being said, both Miller AND JT are probably worth in the neighborhood of $50 million. They are both good players, just different. As KB pointed out, we probably would play a different style with Miller at PG instead of JT. We would definitely be more of a halfcourt team but would that be all bad? Miller, Dog and Reef are all EXCELLENT half court players and Theo can knock down an open J. If we could find a SG who could shoot the J (DJ?), we MIGHT be better off. Then again, with JT and Diaw (or DJ) in the lineup with Theo, Reef and Dog, we might have the best of both worlds. We'll be able to run most of the time but when we HAVE to play half court, we have enough guys who can play that style to still get the job done.

Why would Miller agree to that when he already wants to go to Utah and they have the capspace to pay him with a tremendous need at PG? It makes zero sense.

Plus while I agree that Nazr has some trade value I think that you have him hugely overvalued.

• Premium Member

First about Nazr....

Nazr definitely has value. To two teams especially.

1. The Trailblazers (your trailblazers).

2. The Clipps.

The Clipps need a C.

They picked up Kaman, but I believe that he will be BU material for a while.

Nazr is starting material and for Sterling, he's one thing that Sterling likes.... Cheap.

For the Clipps, Miller offers NO value. To SNT him for any cheap player that they could use would be a blessing for Sterling.

Unfortunately, starting at 5 million probably won't be enough to attract Miller. It would take Utah resigning Malone and going after another guy.

Both teams can use centers but do they both want Nazr? He has missed significan time to injury 2 of the last 3 years first of all, and he has yet to play a lot of starters minutes in his entire career. The jury is still way out about whether or not he is a great backup or a marginal starter regardless of your strong opinions.

Do I like Nazr? Yes, I like him OK, but I believe that you have him firmly overvalued until he proves himself a starter.

• Premium Member

Maybe I got that wrong... BUT did you read the article I posted?

It says that Denver might be interested in Terry if Arenas' price keeps going up... AND Terry's agent has said that he would be interested in Denver if Atlanta doesn't take him.

You can try to point the finger at me mdawg... But the facts remain... If Denver persues Terry, they have the pockets to put BIG MONEY out for him. Will we match? Should we match? That's all I'm asking. I think that's more important than if I can remember if Posey is on the team or not...

• Premium Member

Behind JT.

I think when you put it all together, yes Nazr was injured last season. But GMs will remember what he did while he started. To us it may seem like nothing, but he put up better numbers than Olowakhandi has in his career and Olowakhandi wants a close to max contract. Nazr is making 5 million. Every GM in the league who is in need of a C is willing to match 5 million in trade for a good C (not allstar or great but good). I think if we put Nazr on the market, we'd get some good proposals. I even believe that Andre Miller is one of them if the Clipps could have their way.

If Nazr had as much value to the Clipps as you say he does, I'm SURE Billy Knight would be more than happy working out a deal that sent Nazr to the Clips and Olowokandi to us. Olowokandi has true Center size, he scores and rebounds at least as good as Nazr, he can play more minutes without dying of exhaustion, he is a MUCH better defender and though he was injured last year, he didn't have the dreaded foot problems that plague big men.

That being said, Olowokandi is not going to get ANYWHERE NEAR the max. He is likely to sign a deal starting around $6 million, maybe $7 million tops because that is what the market will bear.

The Clips just spent a lottery pick on a Center and they have a lottery pick from last year (Melvin Ely) to back him up. ANY money they could give to a guy like Nazr would be better spent retaining the likes of Brand, Odom, Magette or Miller. Nazr to the Clips ain't gonna happen!

They don't want him and they don't need him.