• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woodson given extension!

Murat

Don't be too suprised if it happens. Give the guy some credit. He's been thru a lot.

1- He never quit. When everything was torn down and all the players replaced.

When the one player that was from the previous team suddenly died and left the

young, inexperienced Hawks in a daze for that season so that they only won 13,

he didn't quit.

2- The next season, when he had to try to compete with all the very young players

at his disposal and some old guys that were borderline NBA players at best and

when they still couldn't win consistently, he didn't quit.

3- Working with a flawed roster, still no one to fill every position that would be

a starter on most any other NBA team, he made the best of what he had and

kept the Hawks competetive in almost every game - -And, he didn't quit.

3- Finally, with the arrival of Horford, things slowly began to look up. In the

middle of the season, Hawks acquire Bibby, the much needed PG. Before Bibby

had even had the opportunity to learn his new team mates by name, he was

injured. With some vets traded away in the deal, the roster looked slim. Still,

Woody didn't throw up his hands and give up. No, -- He didn't quit.

He didn't give up. He didn't quit. And, he didn't let the Hawks give up and quit.

Sure, Woody has his flaws. He's far from perfect. But, so is the team that he

has to work with. The Hawks aren't perfect either.

Could he do better. Certainly. Couldn't we all, regardless of our calling or profession.

Most of us, when we make an error in our line of work, it becomes known to

only a few people who are close by. Woody's are made in front of a big audience

of fans, sportswriters and live TV coverge for all to see.

He does things that will drive us ordinary NBA Hawk fans nutty. We have the

opportunity of 20-20 hindsight, no one to answer to for our thoughts or comments

and we let it fly - -" Of all the stupid things to do" And with that, we're off to the

races, tearing away at Woody. We all do it. I plead guilty.

Yet, with all this, Woody never quit on the team and they didn't quit on him.

Yep. Give the guy some credit. Hawks make the playoffs under his coaching.

As flawed as the roster may be and as flawed as Woody may be, we're in!!!

GO HAWKS!!!!

• Premium Member

Quote:

GO HAWKS!!!!

1st of all, I don't know why we use the flawed roster theory to support this guy! I think that last year's Chicago team was much more flawed than this year's Hawks team and they went to the second round of the playoffs. Secondly, everyone keeps talking about how bad the point guard situation was with the Likes of Anthony Johnson and T. Lue. Last I checked, T. Lue was a very important piece of a championship laker team and the year before we got Anthony Johnson, he lead the Pacers in the 05-06 playoffs with 20 ppg 5.2 apg shooting 515% from the field and 40% from behind the arc. He is currently starting for the Sacramento Kings and they are over .500 with him as a starter. We all know what Al Harrington is doing in Golden state another flawed roster. We know what Diaw did in Phoenix another flawed roster. Walker won a championship as soon as he left the Hawks. My point is that we like to say that Woodson had nothing to work with and that is why he won 13 game his 1st year. Well, we know that is not true! Add to the fact he is such a poor developer of talent and a terrible bench coach should have everyone ready to get rid of him!

Now the claim is that he got us to the playoffs. You have to be kidding me!!! We have won 36 games so far this year which is unacceptable period!!! Is getting to the playoffs important to this franchise? Of course it is!! But they didn't make it because of Woody so please stop saying that they did!!!!

Quote:

Don't be too suprised if it happens. Give the guy some credit. He's been thru a lot.

1- He never quit. When everything was torn down and all the players replaced.

When the one player that was from the previous team suddenly died and left the

young, inexperienced Hawks in a daze for that season so that they only won 13,

he didn't quit.

2- The next season, when he had to try to compete with all the very young players

at his disposal and some old guys that were borderline NBA players at best and

when they still couldn't win consistently, he didn't quit.

3- Working with a flawed roster, still no one to fill every position that would be

a starter on most any other NBA team, he made the best of what he had and

kept the Hawks competetive in almost every game - -And, he didn't quit.

3- Finally, with the arrival of Horford, things slowly began to look up. In the

middle of the season, Hawks acquire Bibby, the much needed PG. Before Bibby

had even had the opportunity to learn his new team mates by name, he was

injured. With some vets traded away in the deal, the roster looked slim. Still,

Woody didn't throw up his hands and give up. No, -- He didn't quit.

He didn't give up. He didn't quit. And, he didn't let the Hawks give up and quit.

Sure, Woody has his flaws. He's far from perfect. But, so is the team that he

has to work with. The Hawks aren't perfect either.

Could he do better. Certainly. Couldn't we all, regardless of our calling or profession.

Most of us, when we make an error in our line of work, it becomes known to

only a few people who are close by. Woody's are made in front of a big audience

of fans, sportswriters and live TV coverge for all to see.

He does things that will drive us ordinary NBA Hawk fans nutty. We have the

opportunity of 20-20 hindsight, no one to answer to for our thoughts or comments

and we let it fly - -" Of all the stupid things to do" And with that, we're off to the

races, tearing away at Woody. We all do it. I plead guilty.

Yet, with all this, Woody never quit on the team and they didn't quit on him.

GO HAWKS!!!!

I agree 'mule.

I've been one of the few fans on this board that has been patient with Mike Woodson. At this point in time, I think a change could be the for the best. I don't think Mike is the clueless idiot that some on here think, but I do feel that his team underachieved for most of this season. I also believe that Mike did not do a good job of developing his bench players.

However, I also realize that change for the sake of change is never good. It wouldn't make much sense to me if Mike was fired and the Hawks couldn't secure an established head coach to come in and run the team. If the Hawks are forced to go with another first time head coach, it would probably make more sense to give Mike a 2 year extension and let him continue to grow along with the players. While I believe the team has underachieved this year, the team as a whole has gotten better in each of Mike's years as the head coach.

So, if we can get someone like Larry Brown, then I thank Mike for his time in Atlanta and wish it could have been better circumstances for him, but it is best we make a change.

If we are looking more at guys like Larry Drew or some other assistant, then it is probably best that we keep Mike and see if he can get the team to focus on doing the things necessary to compete in the playoffs.

Quote:

Quote:

GO HAWKS!!!!

1st of all, I don't know why we use the flawed roster theory to support this guy! I think that last year's Chicago team was much more flawed than this year's Hawks team and they went to the second round of the playoffs. Secondly, everyone keeps talking about how bad the point guard situation was with the Likes of Anthony Johnson and T. Lue. Last I checked, T. Lue was a very important piece of a championship laker team and the year before we got Anthony Johnson, he lead the Pacers in the 05-06 playoffs with 20 ppg 5.2 apg shooting 515% from the field and 40% from behind the arc. He is currently starting for the Sacramento Kings and they are over .500 with him as a starter. We all know what Al Harrington is doing in Golden state another flawed roster. We know what Diaw did in Phoenix another flawed roster. Walker won a championship as soon as he left the Hawks. My point is that we like to say that Woodson had nothing to work with and that is why he won 13 game his 1st year. Well, we know that is not true! Add to the fact he is such a poor developer of talent and a terrible bench coach should have everyone ready to get rid of him!

Now the claim is that he got us to the playoffs. You have to be kidding me!!! We have won 36 games so far this year which is unacceptable period!!! Is getting to the playoffs important to this franchise? Of course it is!! But they didn't make it because of Woody so please stop saying that they did!!!!

Couldn't agree more, Peoria. One more thing graymule, Woodson quits on the Hawks every game. When he sits with chin in hand for 10 minutes at a time he is quitting for thoser minutes of the game. He is the most pathetic excuse for a coach that I have ever seen. I've never seen someone get so little out of something. Last I checked, 36 wins still sucked pretty bad. Wait, let me check again... yeah, still sucks. Mike Woodson is a cancer. The sooner everyone realizes it the better. This team should have won 40 games last year.

This is why we need new owners with some knowledge of basketball. We need owners who won't just hand over a new contract. Look at the whole and make an assesment based on that. Problem is, they don't know anything and they think we are moving in the right direction. Only they have no idea what direction that is. They just hope it's the right way. It's really sad to get too excited over this. We have one of the worst records in playoff history. It is what it is.

Quote:

Quote:

GO HAWKS!!!!

So much of what you said is taken out of context I don't know where to begin.

When Walker played for the Hawks he was our leading scorer and "go to guy." He won his championship thanks to Wade and Shaq (while in Atlanta, Walker had Collier at C and rookie/Chills at SG). How can you even make that analogy ? Walker was the first option on the Hawks and the 4th or 5th option on that Heat team that won it all. (so that is a poor analogy you made to say the least.)

After Walker left Harrington was our 1st option on a badly flawed roster. He is traded to Golden State (another flawed but more talented roster) and goes to the 2nd round of the playoffs. However, Harrington was a 6th man on that Warrior's roster who occaisonlly started out of postion at C. Harrington only played lke 25 mpg for that team as their 4th or 5th scoring option.

So in other words, for 2 seasons Woodson best scoring options were really 4th or 5th options for good playoff rosters. The next season Woodson was starting babies (Marvin at 20, ZaZa at 22, and Smith at 21 as our starting front court with AJ, Ivey, and Lue as the PGs. That is recipe for 45 to 55 losses no matter who the coach is. Pretending AJ and Lue are starter quality PG is just as laughable.

For 3 years Woody was forced to play weak rosters. Year #4 he had a decent team that was devasted by injuries.

Year #5 and he has something to actually work with. I'm not for resigning Woody to a 3 year deal or anything but he gets slapped around more then he truely deserves if you objectively look at the facts.

To me if you think like an owner, no way Woody comes back. The plan is to take the Hawks back to being a solid franchise. You started over, developed some new talent, and now you just need a vet coach to move your team to that next level. You even brought in a vet PG and still don't see a very consistent offense and you know that much of the fan base doesn't think Woody can coach. You even had that rumor that the GM wanted Woody gone but as owners you wouldn't allow it and you'd like to get rid of that controversy. It's an even easier decision since Woody would have to be given a raise anyways and you aren't firing him and having to pay two coaches next year. The only thing that should stop us from getting a new coach is if none of the vets you want will come here. Fratello, Brown, Van Gundy, I'd bet they'd all love a chance with our roster. In my mind it's a done deal even if we play solidly against Boston.

I agree.

If I were an owner I would vote for a proven vet coach like Larry Brown to take us to the next level. This is the first time ever the Atlanta Hawks could me the #1 job oppurtunity for NBA head coaches. We have to strike while the iron is hot.

At the same time my opinion is Woody gets too much blame for his first 4 years with the Hawks.

Guys....I have watched Woody all year and there is no way the Hawks can make it to the next level with him as coach. They need someone that uses his players to get the maximum productivity from them. Woody probably cost us 5-10 games this past year, just due to coaching blunders alone. This team is underachieving when you look at the talent they have in their starting 5. We should not be 5 games below 500. End of story.

Quote:

Guys....I have watched Woody all year and there is no way the Hawks can make it to the next level with him as coach. They need someone that uses his players to get the maximum productivity from them. Woody probably cost us 5-10 games this past year, just due to coaching blunders alone. This team is underachieving when you look at the talent they have in their starting 5. We should not be 5 games below 500. End of story.

You are absofrigginlutely correct. Those have been my same sentiments for some time now.

• Premium Member

Quote:

So much of what you said is taken out of context I don't know where to begin.

When Walker played for the Hawks he was our leading scorer and "go to guy." He won his championship thanks to Wade and Shaq (while in Atlanta, Walker had Collier at C and rookie/Chills at SG). How can you even make that analogy ? Walker was the first option on the Hawks and the 4th or 5th option on that Heat team that won it all. (so that is a poor analogy you made to say the least.)

Wrong! The starting line up was Collier, Harrington, Walker, Kenny Anderson, Diaw to start the season. Now if you think that I am making a comparison between a team that won a championship and the Hawks, then you are misguided. I'm merely point out the fact the team won only 13 games with at least two all stars on it.

Quote:

After Walker left Harrington was our 1st option on a badly flawed roster. He is traded to Golden State (another flawed but more talented roster) and goes to the 2nd round of the playoffs. However,
Harrington was a 6th man on that Warrior's roster who occaisonlly started out of postion at C. Harrington only played lke 25 mpg for that team as their 4th or 5th scoring option.

Wrong again! Harrington was second on the team in scoring and rebounding, Averaged 32 minutes per game. And started every game for them last year when he arrived.

Quote:

So in other words, for 2 seasons Woodson best scoring options were really 4th or 5th options for good playoff rosters.

Why do people lie for Woodson?

Quote:

The next season Woodson was starting babies (Marvin at 20, ZaZa at 22, and Smith at 21 as our starting front court with AJ, Ivey, and Lue as the PGs.

Chicago had the youngest team in the league the last 2 years and made the playoffs both years. Winning 49 games last year and going to second round of the playoffs.

Quote:

That is recipe for 45 to 55 losses no matter who the coach is. Pretending AJ and Lue are starter quality PG is just as laughable.

And Chris Duhon is an allstar point guard?

Quote:

For 3 years Woody was forced to play weak rosters. Year #4 he had a decent team that was devasted by injuries.

Nobody is saying that he should have won a championship with last year's roster but he should have been able to beat the Bobcats on a regular basis something he could not even do this year!

Quote:

Year #5 and he has something to actually work with. I'm not for resigning Woody to a 3 year deal or anything but he gets slapped around more then he truely deserves if you objectively look at the facts.

This is year 4! Woody was hired in the 2004-05 season