• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

here is the interview on 790 for those who missed it:

http://www.790thezone.com/multimedia/instant_replay.aspx

I didn't see anywhere that he "Threw BK under the Bus"?

He does seem to be tooting his own horn quite a bit.....especially where

he said "What Talent Do We Have"? If I were a player, I would be pissed

at that one.

It doesn't sound like he's throwing BK or the players under the bus at all. He means talent in terms of developed star talent, of which we only have Joe Johnson. RIGHT after that he says, we are definitely talented, but we are still a very young team who's learning how to win.

Y'all are making way too much of this, he didn't throw BK or the players under the bus at all. He constantly praised the players, and said we need to get Smith and Childress resigned, and that in the future he thinks this will be a team to contend with.

• Moderators

Quote:

here is the interview on 790 for those who missed it:

http://www.790thezone.com/multimedia/instant_replay.aspx

I didn't see anywhere that he "Threw BK under the Bus"?

He does seem to be tooting his own horn quite a bit.....especially where

he said "What Talent Do We Have"? If I were a player, I would be pissed

at that one.

Others may disagree but the incredulous tone in his voice when he is being asked if he can understand why people think his team should have done better is surprising to me.

Quote:

790"But you can understand why people would say they aren't satisfied with where this franchise is."

Woodson: "Wh, wh, why should I understand."

790: [Points out progress of New Orleans from a similar starting point a few years ago.]

"People are going to say that with the talent on this team it should be better than 37 wins."

Woodson: "Who says we are overly talented? I mean really?"

790: "I think..."

Woodson: "I think we have a talented team but we still have a fairly young team that is trying to learn how to win. And that is huge in this league..."

It is the bolded part that made me see Woodson throwing BK under the bus - because when asked why they didn't do better he basically says he didn't have the tools. When asked why the team didn't do better this year, he clearly implies they didn't have the talent to be better and that they don't approach New Orleans, who won 19 more games in a much tougher conference.

If you listen to the tone of his voice he is basically saying "Who thinks this team was talented enought to win more than 37 games, give me a break."

Quote:

Others may disagree but the incredulous tone in his voice when he is being asked if he can understand why people think his team should have done better is surprising to me.

If you listen to the tone of his voice he is basically saying "Who thinks this team was talented enought to win more than 37 games, give me a break."

I agree. My beef with Woody here is that he thinks that the talent on this team is a 37 win team. I think they are better than that, and with a different coach, they would have been .500 or better.

He also explained why he played the starters more than most of us liked last night. He said that he wanted the players to go into the playoffs with a positive mindset and based on the way they played, he obviously thought winning the MIA game was more important than they did.

JJ & Bibby gave FAR less than a full effort last night and neither CLEARLY wanted to (or expected to) play much last night. Unfortunately, I think their effort (the effort of our veteran leaders) set the tone for the effort of the rest of the guys and we gave a lackluster performance all around. JJ and Bibby may be vets but I think they sent the wrong message last night. Jordan, Kobe, Isiah, Magic, Bird and guys of that ilk try to KILL their opponents regardless if they are playing in a summer pickup game or in the NBA Finals. Sure they might not have played AS MUCH late in the season when their playoff slot has already been decided but when they stepped on that court, whether it be 10 minutes or 40 minutes, they played to win! Notice that teams like BOS, DET and others who had nothing to play for still managed to go out and win their games.

All that said, once Woody saw the effort they were giving, putting them back in late in the 4th served no real purpose unless he KILLS them at practice today. The message needs to be that I don't care who you are playing and what the score is, if you are on the floor, play to win!

• Moderators

Quote:

Hornets have verteren players. When the hawks best player reach 25-27 yr. old than you can compare them to the Hornets.

But we could have been the Hornets talent-wise if our GM had gone that direction. Draft Paul; agree to absorb Chandler's contract; etc.

Paul

JJ

Chills

Smoove

Chandler

not that different from:

Paul

Mo Pete

Peja

West

Chandler

Considering where both teams started from, why can't you compare the two of them?

Woody clearly sounded very defensive about his own job. What bothers me

is that he doesn't think we are more talented than what our record shows.

Clearly, we need a better coach to take it up a notch. If this is as far as Woody can

get us, then good job getting us here, but it's clear to me we need more talent and

smarts at our head coach position to keep progressing.

Quote:

Hornets have verteren players. When the hawks best player reach 25-27 yr. old than you can compare them to the Hornets.

The Hawks best player (JJ) is 26. The Hornets best player (Paul) is 22. The Hawks 2nd (Smith) and 3rd (Bibby) best players are 22 and 29, respectively. The Hornet's 2nd (West) and 3rd (Chandler) best players are 27 and 25, respectively.

Quote:

Don't know if anyone else heard Woodson on the radio this morning. He did back-to-back interviews with 790 and 680. The 680 interview was non-descript - pretty much just talking about how far the team has come and how happy everyone is that they are in the playoffs. The 790 interview was more antagonistic. While saying they were rooting for the Hawks to do well, they told Woodson they expected the Hawks would lose to the Celtics and openly questioned whether he had done his job. Woodson told them he had done a fantastic job as coach. When asked if he could understand why some fans felt the team underacheived given their talent, Woodson said he couldn't understand that. He said something like, "Who thinks this team has so much talent? We don't. We have some good young players but they are just learning how to win." They compared the team to New Orleans and Woody basically said he doesn't have the talent that NO does so it shouldn't surprise anyone that they don't win like the Hornets.

It was the most open throwing of BK under the bus to save his job that I have heard from Woodson. He came off like he was blaming BK for not giving him the pieces and went out of his way to praise the acquisition of Bibby in contrast to the younger players (saying something like he kisses Bibby every day). He also praised Horford and talked about how well he has done playing out of position at C.

Needless to say, the 790 interview was more interesting.

I apologize for not reading all of the responses below but - Duh - Woody has had to deal without a quality PG. I'm no Woody fan at all - but I firmly believe that BK is the root of all evil.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Woody has had to deal without a quality PG. I'm no Woody fan at all - but I firmly believe that BK is the root of all evil.

It just cracks me up when poster harp on something that statically is irrelevant. Do you realize that Atlanta is 15-17 with Bibby on the team and the Sacramento Kings are 15-16 With Anthony Johnson as their point guard. So why do people keep harping on this point guard issue?

Quote:

Law is a worse player today than when he was a senior in college. Is that all his fault too?..

That may or may not be true jh....Acie isn't playing against PGs from Iowa State or Colorado or Nebraska anymore. He could be the same player - just outclassed in the pros at this point. Most of the guys he beat in college are selling stuff.

Quote:

...It just cracks me up when poster harp on something that statically is irrelevant. Do you realize that Atlanta is 15-17 with Bibby on the team and the Sacramento Kings are 15-16 With Anthony Johnson as their point guard. So why do people keep harping on this point guard issue?

You really have to toss the first 4 WC games - then yes - Bibby has a "slightly above .500 average with our team.

• Premium Member

Quote:

You really have to toss the first 4 WC games - then yes - Bibby has a "slightly above .500 average with our team.

So just count the games against poor competition in the Eastern conference. O.K. I see how this goes.

Quote:

Quote:

So just count the games against poor competition in the Eastern conference. O.K. I see how this goes.

Come on, you know Bibby's foot was hurt, and hadn't played with his new team before. Do you really think the first games were representative of how well he could play?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Come on, you know Bibby's foot was hurt, and hadn't played with his new team before. Do you really think the first games were representative of how well he could play?

Still doesn't change the fact that Sacramento's winning percentage didn't change!

No, I think it is definitely true and it has nothing to do with the level of comp. Law is still quicker than anyone on the floor, and he has the skills to be effective, and was effective early.

His confidence is in shambles right now. His mental state is so fragile and it is obviously affecting his play. He is playing not to make a mistake, scared. Every time he messes up he looks at the scorer's table waiting for the inevitable.

I don't think that's all Woody's fault, but some of it is.

Quote:

It's clear that we do not have as much talent as NO. Say what you want but in the NBA having 1 or 2 superstars particularly at the Pg or center positions is better and = more talent than having the JJ and the "potentials" we have.

W

Just like the 90s Bulls with Ron Harper at the point and Luc Longley/Bill Wennington at C, right, Walter?

There're lots of ways to get it done, not just your way.

There are a couple reasons I doubt Acie. First - because he played in the Big12 and got to feast on PGs from Iowa State, Colorado, Nebraska, etc. We're not talkin ACC calibre competition. Actually, many of the mid majors are better than the Big 12 teams.

Second - he just isn't Chris Paul - those guys only come around every decade or so. You can't just take the best available PG (/SG) at 11 and expect miracles. There are tons of quick PGs in the NBDL who can't shoot. If you can't shoot at PG you are a liability in this league. Trust me I know...I was a big Celtics fan 20 or 30 years ago and DJ couldn't the side of a barn. They just backed off him and basically dared him to shoot.