• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Predictable: More Hate from Chad Ford

AHF

Should the hawks be in the playoffs...NO but i dont give a damn. who actually reads his article? i sure as hell dont. No one is going to wake up one morning(if thats what he does for espn) and say hmm... i wonder what chad ford thinks.....get the fu*k outta here with that bs.

thread close!

Guest Walter

Quote:

Walter - Have you read Ford over the past 4 years? His criticism of Atlanta is as predictable as the rising sun.

He criticized Philly even more in the preseason, even predicting them to be the worst EC team out there!

You read all the articles that have him criticizing the Hawks so you believe all his articles criticize the Hawks. They do NOT. At some point he criticizes almost everybody. If anything THAT is his nature, not this paranoid notion that he has it out for Hawk fans and their beloved team.

More importantly, HE IS RIGHT! We are by 3 (or 6) games the worst team in the worst division in what appears its worst year ever. That could mean we are or nearly are the weakest playoff team in history. Imagine that! The weakest playoff team in history! I don't think we are but a case can be made for it. The notion that we are "equal" to Philly and deserve "equal" reporting as you suggest is simply wrong.

Frankly, the only newsworthy part of this is that people get more upset at a justifiable article than the awful state of our rebuild (playoffs or not) or Woody possibly getting an extension due to his leading this team to this marginal level of relative "success".

W

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Walter - Have you read Ford over the past 4 years? His criticism of Atlanta is as predictable as the rising sun.

He criticized Philly even more in the preseason, even predicting them to be the worst EC team out there!

Find some Chad Ford articles from this preseason or anytime this season that are insulting to Philly, and you may have me on this. I am not talking about comments that are predicting Philly to do poorly - if you are making predictions someone must always do poorly and taking your best guess at that is not insulting. I am talking about the "rubbing salt into the wound" comments like the one above about Atlanta.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Honestly, as much as I hate Chad Ford, he's right. We have severely underachieved this season with the talent that we have. Although if we'd had Bibby all season this could be a different story. I'm sorry but a 37-45 team should not be a playoff team.

I can understand why he's praised Philly because they get it done with less, and even the Wizards as well.

I agree. Unfortunately he is right.

But what is he right about? That is my point.

Sure, you can make a very credible argument that we aren't a "real" playoff team and therefore shouldn't feel like we have accomplished much in a depleted Eastern Conference. That applies equally to Philly, though. Why the vitriole directed towards Atlanta and the praise towards Philly - especially if you are praising Philly for making the playoffs in the depleted East and for having a good future? Doesn't that equally describe the Hawks?

It is not so much that Ford's opinion is ridiculous, it is that he is singling out the Hawks for a good round of bashing...again.

Well my thoughts are that Philly traded Iverson and struggled for a while, but you have to admit they picked themselves up especially during the last 6 weeks of the season and were a good team. On the otherhand we have been up and down no real consistent play. What I mean by that is we have played a good 5 game stretch and then turn around the next 10 games and look like the worst team in the league.

Until this team and organization show that they are consistent you can't expect the media to give them praise. The Hawks are better than last year but not by very much. This process of rebuilding has taken way tooooo long.

Now with that being said we can turn the image of this team and franchise around with a good showing against the Celtics in the first round of the playoffs, BUT if we show up and look awful and are not at least somewhat competitive Chad Ford and the others will just continue to laugh at us.

• Moderators

My issue with Ford isn't so much the criticism with Atlanta, it is the way he does it. He clearly enjoys sticking in the knife and twisting it when making comments about the team. Instead of taking shots in the post above, he could have made the same points by saying:

"While it is great for Hawks fans to enjoy a playoff appearance this year, the team still hasn't made the steps it needs to be truly competitive. They made the playoffs largely due to a historically weak year in the East and their development under Woodson just hasn't reached that next level. It is a shame for Atlanta fans because they have a roster full of lottery picks but Billy Knight just hasn't made the right pick often enough to get this team to where they should be at this stage in their rebuilding. They have enough young talent to build on for the future, but they need to get moving in the right direction for that to happen."

It would have been shocking to me to see him post something like that because it would not be his usual "glory in sticking it to Atlanta, BK and the fans" type of post. It also would surprise me to see him discount a team like Philly in the same way he does our record - even though a 40-42 season is only slightly more respectable than 37-45.

I think Ford doesn't like BK's overall attitude towards the media. As a member of the media Ford relies on access from employees around the league for info and since Knight gives him nothing he probably dogs BK just in spite.

If BK was more media friendly i doubt Ford would dog him so much.

• Moderators

Quote:

I think Ford doesn't like BK's overall attitude towards the media. As a member of the media Ford relies on access from employees around the league for info and since Knight gives him nothing he probably dogs BK just in spite.

If BK was more media friendly i doubt Ford would dog him so much.

I agree with that 100%. If BK gave him "insider information" or at least some nice quotes, he would be much, much nicer in his critique of this team. That doesn't earn him any points as an objective journalist in my book, though.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

That doesn't earn him any points as an
objective journalist
in my book, though.

The obviousness of the personal grudge in this case goes well beyond normal bias and is different that the normal bias (which is to favor certain teams rather than attack certain teams ala Bill Simmons, d*ck Vitale, etc.)

The words "objective" and "journalist" don't really go together.