• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We need our own "Big 3"

Johnnybravo4

It is obvious that this team as constructed will never be a serious contender...therefore we need to do a mini blowup. We need to grow some balls like Boston did and trade some of our future in order to win now. With no Ray Allen or KG available we need to make moves that give us a "poor mans" big 3. That being said, I think our best move would be to trade Bibby and Marvin in the offseason to Indy for Jermaine O'neal and a 1st either future or in 2008. Indy would do it because it would take O'neal's salary off the books and give them another cog in their youth movement. With a resigned Smoove, and childress, and Andersen our lineup would be.

Law/Speedy

JJ/Childress

Smoove/Richardson

O'neal/Andersen

Horford/Zaza

Our O'neal, Smoove, JJ is basically a poor man's Pierce, Allen and KG...only 5 years younger.

O'neal's health is a concern for sure. But we need to roll the dice. There is no doubt that a motivated and Healthy O'neal is a top 5 pf in the NBA. He also serves a duel purpose as our defensive big. Andersen would be our inside/outside threat off of the bench. The good thing is that our cap wouldn't be significantly higher than it would be with a resigned Smoove and Bibby on the roster, and we get rid of the dillemma of whether to give Marvin a big money extension in 2009.

Unless the Pacers wanted Marvin to play PF it's hard to see where he'd fit in on a roster with Granger and Dunleavy Jr.

In principle, however, I agree with you, JB. The Hawks have accumulated some quality young pieces. Now they need to cash in those skee ball tickets for a big prize. It has to be said, though, that when Boston got KG they gave up a prized young big in Jefferson. For the Hawks to pick up a superstar (and I'd only make this kind of move for a bona fide superstar), they'll almost certainly have to part with one of either Horford or Smith. Unless Chris Wallace is the GM on the other end of the trade.

Heres a trade that would put us over the top and a top 3 team in the east.

Hawks Get

Mike Dunleavy

Jermain Oneal

Travis Deaner

Pacers Get

Josh Smith

Marvin Williams

Salim Stoudamire

Hawks New Lineup

PG-Bibby/Law/Diener

SG-Joe/J Rich

SF-Dunleavy/Childress

PF-Horford/Jones

C-Oneal/Zaza

Dunleavy had his best year in the NBA this year averaging over 19 ppg. Diener is a good shooter and would help with back up pg duties and we all know what oneal has to offer.

I thought we had been around the block on this one. The Big 3 dynamic works for Boston because they have 2 deadly shooters on either side of the arch and an inside force to drive "dump it in, kick it out" basketball. We don't have the inside force. Maybe Al in 5 years, but not now or anytime soon.

J.O. would help fill that role, but what do you do with Smoove? You can't run a frontline of Smoove and J.O. and win. We need shooters.

• Moderators

If we are looking to make a move, I would think about trying to get someone like Richard Jefferson for Marvin and change. A team like New Jersey might be ready to build for the future and if they don't see a future with someone like RJ, perhaps he would be available. RJ will be 28 at the start of next season - probably too old to really be part of a serious rebuilding job. Vince Carter would also be available but I am less interested in his front-running self.

Your trade wouldn't work moneywise.

In my scenerio it would work because Law and JJ would be our outside guys. Smoove is the slasher and O'neal and Horford would be our interior post defenders. The inside out game you could play with Horford and oneal would be sick. I think our big 3 would be deadly because we'd have a better team defense than even Boston has. We'd basically avg 7-bpg on our frontline alone. Small SF may give smoove fits on the defensive end, but I trust in his recovery skills and you'd have 2 erasers in O'neal and Horford. I also assume that Smoove's jumper would improve.

Maybe a better comparison would be a better emulation of the pistons with O'neal being our "Sheed" and Smoove/Childress channelling Tashun and Horford Ben Wallace.

Quote:

If we are looking to make a move, I would think about trying to get someone like Richard Jefferson for Marvin and change. A team like New Jersey might be ready to build for the future and if they don't see a future with someone like RJ, perhaps he would be available. RJ will be 28 at the start of next season - probably too old to really be part of a serious rebuilding job. Vince Carter would also be available but I am less interested in his front-running self.

You are missing my point. Jermaine gives us what we have been looking for. A big who can score and is a good defender. And more importantly someone who believes that he is an allstar and is vocal. He has fallen out of favor in Indy mainly because of health and the fact that they failed to make any kind of moves before the fall of the Reggie Miller regime. But when he is healthy he can go toe to toe with the KG's, Boshes and Dirks of the world.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

You are missing my point. Jermaine gives us what we have been looking for. A big who can score and is a good defender. And more importantly someone who believes that he is an allstar and is vocal. He has fallen out of favor in Indy mainly because of health and the fact that they failed to make any kind of moves before the fall of the Reggie Miller regime. But when he is healthy he can go toe to toe with the KG's, Boshes and Dirks of the world.

I disagree with your assumption that Josh Smith can transition to a full-time SF role. That is my problem. Even if things work out with O'Neal's healthy (which is a big gamble in my mind), I don't see how Josh Smith fits on that team because I think he is significantly less effective at SF on both ends of the floor.

Gambling on O'Neal at least would have the advantage of significant upside, but I don't consider him to be nearly as good as someone like KG. He is an addition more like Gasol, with better D and a much worse FG%.

Interesting. No one wants Elton Brand?

Oh I forgot. To get Brand, we'd have to let Smith sign someone else. And no way does the Squawk want to trade Josh Smith for an all-star PF just coming off of an injury. Smoove's "potential" to be great is too much to just give up on.

I'm sure the Celtics regret giving up the "great" Al Jefferson to get KG.

Trading for the overrated J. O'neil (who I was big guy of) is not the way to go.

How about this deal Bibby and Zaza for Kaman and Mobley or whoever makes the salaries work. 19 million in salary dump in today's market is worth it's weight in gold and diamonds combined.

Let's face it, la needs to go back and rebuild. They have the 6th pick and they can choose any of the promising bigs to replace Kaman. They need to build around Al Thornton (who we all thought MW would be playing like right now) and they have question marks at every position.

For us

1. Acie/Speedy/FA

2. JJ/Mobley

3. MW/Antoine Wright

4. JS/Solo

5. Kaman/D. Andersen

The key is for Speedy to be relatively healthy by the trade deadline! Depending on the deal, I'm not opposed to trading MW/Chilldress for a traditional PF or decent PG.

Quote:

Trading for the overrated J. O'neil (who I was big guy of) is not the way to go.

How about this deal Bibby and Zaza for Kaman and Mobley or whoever makes the salaries work. 19 million in salary dump in today's market is worth it's weight in gold and diamonds combined.

Let's face it, la needs to go back and rebuild. They have the 6th pick and they can choose any of the promising bigs to replace Kaman. They need to build around Al Thornton (who we all thought MW would be playing like right now) and they have question marks at every position.

For us

1. Acie/Speedy/FA

2. JJ/Mobley

3. MW/Antoine Wright

4. JS/Solo

5. Kaman/D. Andersen

The key is for Speedy to be relatively healthy by the trade deadline! Depending on the deal, I'm not opposed to trading MW/Chilldress for a traditional PF or decent PG.

WTF u fail.Where the [censored] is Horford?

WTF u fail.Where the [censored] is Horford?

Whoops, forgot all about the young stallion!

Acie/Speedy/Duhon?

J.J./Mobley

J. Smitty/M.W./Antoine Wright

Horford/J. Smitty

Kaman/Andersen

The east would be ours for the see able future while Boston and Detroit age to death.

Quote:

Why would the Clippers trade Kaman? They could have a really good team next year with Kaman, Maggette , and Brand if he doesn't opt out, plus that high draft pick they've got. As for your hopes that Marvin can take his game to Al Thornton's level, I've got some great news for you: Marvin's already outplaying LA's 24 year old rookie.

Al Thornton's stats:

PPG 12.7

RPG 4.5

APG 1.2

SPG 0.6

BPG 0.5

FG% 0.429

FT% 0.743

3P% 0.331

MPG 27.3

And Marvin:

PPG 14.8

RPG 5.7

APG 1.7

SPG 1.0

BPG 0.4

FG% 0.462

FT% 0.822

3P% 0.100

MPG 34.6

Hey NSM, as good as Elton Brand is, he is coming off of a devastating injury and he isn't that much of an athlete before the injury. Besides, Brand has never led any team to anything of consequence. He is basically a bigger, tougher, Reef. As overated as O'neal is, he has been to a finals before.

Quote:

Quote:

Why would the Clippers trade Kaman? They could have a really good team next year with Kaman, Maggette , and Brand if he doesn't opt out, plus that high draft pick they've got. As for your hopes that Marvin can take his game to Al Thornton's level, I've got some great news for you: Marvin's already outplaying LA's 24 year old rookie.

Al Thornton's stats:

PPG 12.7

RPG 4.5

APG 1.2

SPG 0.6

BPG 0.5

FG% 0.429

FT% 0.743

3P% 0.331

MPG 27.3

And Marvin:

PPG 14.8

RPG 5.7

APG 1.7

SPG 1.0

BPG 0.4

FG% 0.462

FT% 0.822

3P% 0.100

MPG 34.6

Um, maybe the Clips do the trade because they suck. Both Magg and Brand have player options and they will both opt out. Livingston probably won't be any kind of threat he could of become. Somebody will offer Brand a near max contract and this will probably be his last big money contract so it would be foolish for him to stay being 29 and coming off an achilles injury.

This is not NBA Live where players always play at a high level (cough shaq) simply off their reputation. Injuries take place, players age, players lose ability, it happens.

Um, Squirt those stats are slightly different except for Marvin averaging more than 7 minutes per. If you ask any GM right now who are playoff ready, most would take A. Thornton over MW.