• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe Johnson wants Woody back

GameTime

Screw what Joe wants. Woody needs to go. If his team had put up a little more resistance in game 7, then I would have said that he earned an extension. However, being that they completely laid down and being that Woody wouldn't even give guys like Salim a shot to see if they could come in and generate some offense, I don't want him back. Woodson has puzzled me this whole series with his steadfast reliance on Mike Bibby. I think anybody with two properly functioning eyes could see that Bibby was pretty useless out there on the court, especially in Boston. Yet, Woody kept on putting him back in while giving Acie 5 minutes per game, acting as if Bibby was our best option or something. Heck, Bibby couldn't even hardly dribble the ball this series and he struggles with just making it past the 3-point line against Rondo. Woody is one of those coaches that just sticks with veterans, regardless if they suck or not. If Tyronn Lue and Anthony Johnson were still on the team, they would have been getting all of the minutes while Acie wasted away on the bench. Zaza gets minutes but Solomon Jones can't get minutes - as if Zaza is so much better than him??? Are you freakin' kidding me??? That's why Woodson has to go. He has proven that he's incapable of making smart decisions or showing any kind of foresight. As much as I loved the playoff run, Woody is still a weak link in the chain and he must go.

There isn't a no brainer top notch coach available right now that would lead this team to elite status.

We are much better going with continuity both on the roster and among the coaching ranks.

Why screw with what has progressed every single year?

If we don't go above .500 next season growing from this playoff experience and our young players progressing, then sure you could lash out at the coach.

But right now with the way we've improved every year, and the fact that there isn't exactly a Phil Jackson out there, why the hell would we just make a change for the sake of making a change?

That's what Dallas and Phoenix did on their rosters and both of those teams got eliminated in the first round and possibly screwed up their future.

Cleveland got away with it in the first round but they will be exposed in the 2nd.

Making changes for the sake of making them is NOT the way to go in this situation

Quote:

There isn't a no brainer top notch coach available right now that would lead this team to elite status.

We are much better going with continuity both on the roster and among the coaching ranks.

Why screw with what has progressed every single year?

If we don't go above .500 next season growing from this playoff experience and our young players progressing, then sure you could lash out at the coach.

But right now with the way we've improved every year, and the fact that there isn't exactly a Phil Jackson out there, why the hell would we just make a change for the sake of making a change?

That's what Dallas and Phoenix did on their rosters and both of those teams got eliminated in the first round and possibly screwed up their future.

Cleveland got away with it in the first round but they will be exposed in the 2nd.

Making changes for the sake of making them is NOT the way to go in this situation

If you think that I want Woody gone just for the sake of making a change, then you obviously didn't read a word of what I typed and you also haven't been paying attention to what Woody has been doing for the past few years.

Quote:

If you think that I want Woody gone just for the sake of making a change, then you didn't read a word of what I typed and you also haven't been paying attention to what Woody has been doing for the past few years.

And you half read what I stated.

I stated that CONTINUITY should be the focus right now because there is no sure fire great coach that would propel this team.

You going to take Avery Johnson, a guy who made possibly the worst coaching decision ever when he went away from his starting lineup that gave them a league best 67 wins in the series vs Golden State?

The best guy available is Mike D'Antoni. And we don't have Steve Nash, Josh Smith is not offensively advanced like Amare, and that Ole defensive philosophy for this undiciplined defensive team would be a complete disaster.

Quote:

Yeah, because D'Antoni got Phx to so many finals. Atleast Avery got his team past the Spurs and into the finals. Phx is nothing but a stat padding team with a bunch of bogus regular season wins. Heck, they barely beat and under talented Lakers team and Clippers team.

If you spent more time reading instead of trolling you'd see that I was DENOUNCING D'antoni as the coach here.

The point is that there ISNT some no brainer coach that would make this team reach where they want to ultimately achieve.

That is why we are better off with continuity and gauging if we can continue to progress

I think Avery could make this team better. He has made some mistakes, but I think he can help his franchise get alittle better. Oh, and he doesn't have to flash around a championship ring from being involved in a team he had little to no effect on.

It was laughable watching Woody wear that championship ring. Fratello would be the best option though.

I'm not so sure about the Hawks getting better. They were nearly injury free this year and rode the starters for 40MPG just to win 7 more games than last year in a conference that got weaker. This team hasn't made the improvements that some are suggesting.

Depth and a new coach must be added.

Quote:

Yeah, because D'Antoni got Phx to so many finals. Atleast Avery got his team past the Spurs and into the finals. Phx is nothing but a stat padding team with a bunch of bogus regular season wins. Heck, they barely beat and under talented Lakers team and Clippers team.

Steve Nash choking isn't Mike fault, now wanting Shaq is.

Quote:

It was laughable watching Woody wear that championship ring.

Most coaches do it. Avery did it, Scott does it. So what? I agree though Avery would be the best fit with this team. I want to see my team play defense first.

No to D'antoni!

Quote:

if he wants Woody back since the Hawks "fans" want Woody to be gone and they obviously know more about it than Joe does.

Joe's opinion on this will carry a lot of weight with the ownership. At the same time, I don't see Joe as the type that would openly campaign for the firing of any coach. He isn't like some of the other superstars in the league that demand what they want and pout when they don't get it.

Whether the fan base likes it or not, if Joe Johnson wants Mike Woodson and this staff to come back, then the chances increase of Mike Woodson actually keeping this job.

Personally, I'm hoping for Mike Fratello, but I am not adverse to keeping Mike Woodson. I've felt for the past few years that one characteristic a lot of NBA front office types and owners lack is patience. A lot of these assistant coaches get their first chance to be a head coach, but it is in bad situations. They end up getting eaten alive by unrealistic expectations, and that's why we see teams like Milwaukee go through 4 different head coaches in 4 seasons. Owners just aren't willing to give these first time head coaches a chance to grow with the team. So, if Atlanta ends up keeping Mike Woodson, the message it sends would be a breath of fresh air. At some point, stability becomes a very important part of the organization, and by keeping Mike Woodson, the Hawks will at least have stability on that end.

A few things though:

1. I don't see both Mike Woodson and Billy Knight staying. I think that relationship may be beyond repair at this point, and if one is kept, the other will likely have to go.

2. It makes no sense to not resign Mike Woodson only to hire another first time head coach.

3. I think it would be worth Atlanta's while to at least gauge the interest of Mike Fratello.

Quote:

I think Avery could make this team better. He has made some mistakes, but I think he can help his franchise get alittle better. Oh, and he doesn't have to flash around a championship ring from being involved in a team he had little to no effect on.

It was laughable watching Woody wear that championship ring. Fratello would be the best option though.

I'm not so sure about the Hawks getting better. They were nearly injury free this year and rode the starters for 40MPG just to win 7 more games than last year in a conference that got weaker. This team hasn't made the improvements that some are suggesting.

Depth and a new coach must be added.

And what has Avery accomplished to suggest that?

He acquired a talented veteran team and they only did something for one year, a year where they choked in the Finals.

That was his only coaching experience. He has none proving he can develop a young team.

What a stupid move that would be risking that and getting rid of the continuity we currently have that could less us to the post-season for seasons to come

Quote:

Quote:

If you think that I want Woody gone just for the sake of making a change, then you didn't read a word of what I typed and you also haven't been paying attention to what Woody has been doing for the past few years.

And you half read what I stated.

I stated that CONTINUITY should be the focus right now because there is no sure fire great coach that would propel this team.

You going to take Avery Johnson, a guy who made possibly the worst coaching decision ever when he went away from his starting lineup that gave them a league best 67 wins in the series vs Golden State?

The best guy available is Mike D'Antoni. And we don't have Steve Nash, Josh Smith is not offensively advanced like Amare, and that Ole defensive philosophy for this undiciplined defensive team would be a complete disaster.

Continuity of what??? If your head coach is continuously making bad decisions, then why would you want to continue down that road??? Continuity just for the sake of continuity is not necessarily a good idea either. Throw in the fact that our coach is constantly making bad decisions, then wanting continuity in that vein just sounds plain idiotic in my opinion.

I like Mike D'Antoni, but he is not the right coach for this team. D'Antoni would bring an exciting offensive style, but he would ignore defense like he has in Phoenix. This team does not need a coach that ignores defense.

Yes it would be so stupid to get rid of this under achieving coach who has managed to brainwash some of you to be satisfied with his terrible coaching skills... what continuity do we exactly have? lol that was the dumbest thing i have read so far...

now sure i would love to keep joe happy, but be real.. why wouldn't joe want woody to stay? he lets joe do whatever he wants. joe is not a trouble maker who will pout one way or the other.