• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody wanted CP3 & Roy...

Brotha2ThaNite

Wow! I though I heard someone say this on the radio last week and I just heard it again. Brandon Leak just said it on 790. He said Woody asked for CP3 and Roy. He did not ask for the Williams boys. He also said Woody said the person he had to get on the least this year was Al Horford.

If this is all true I truely apologies to Woody. LOL

Do anyone think this could also hurt his coaching... I know I would be saying, Damn I have to coach sorry @$$er Marvin and Slum-Lord. LOL

If this is true BK... I now see why the ASG told BK 'Hell No' when it came to letting go Woody. I guess they said you have Fed Up enough already... LOL

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Image what a team we would have if we draft both CP3 and Roy. Our Starting 5 would be:

Chris Paul

Brandon Roy

Joe Johnson

Josh SMith

Hortford

WOW..best starting 5 in the league!-makes me wanna cry a lil bit lol o well..we still have a bright future

I heard that as well, but there are other reports that say that Shelden was made for Woodson.

Right now its a he said she said- but I believe Shelden was who Woody wanted and then he tried to cover up his mistake by not playing him.

Well, if Woody specifically asked for Chris Paul, and Knight chose to get Marvin instead, then Knight should be fired ASAP. Chris Paul is just sick. He'll go out of his way just to embarrass you. I've seen him do it to Kidd and I saw him do it to Bruce Bowen the other night too.

Hawks will never live this down ever in there franchise history. Marvin will never ever be the player Chris Paul is and Roy is an allstar in his 2nd year shelden will be working as a garbage man in 2 years. Hawks passed on back too back Rookies of the years thats unacceptable I have saying this for years but so many Hawks fan think everything is fine and dandy. Paul will go to the NBA Finals this year what can we say about Marvin wat a joke.

I find it hard to belive that the defensive-minded Woody would have preferred CP3 over Deron Williams. I know everyone forgets, but there were a lot of concerns about Paul's size and his ability to defend the PGs who were doing a lot of good things at that time, namely Billups, Kidd and Andre Miller. So Deron was considered the better defender because of his size.

Again, I find it VERY hard to believe that Woody truly would have preferred a smallish PG that did not show any type of tremendous defensive skills during college. Especially, after being on the pistons staff and seeing how Billups was able to over-power most opposing PGs on the way to their title. Sorry, sounds like a classic case of revisionist's history.

(I do recall hearing that 'Nique loved Marvin and lobbied hard for him to be chosen over Deron).

Quote:

Image what a team we would have if we draft both CP3 and Roy. Our Starting 5 would be:

Chris Paul

Brandon Roy

Joe Johnson

Josh SMith

Hortford

That's not realy true... For this to happen the Hawks would need to have the same records in the following years as they do now.

People on this board would be demanding that we trade Roy and would be saying that we should have drafted Marvin instead of CP3.

We can all dream though wink.gif

Yeah unless you can find an irrefutable quote from pre-2005 there's a big chance it's made up. Besides, if we took Paul we wouldn't suck enough to get the high pick for Roy. I still can't believe how well Portland have done in the draft the past 2 seasons.

There is no quote either way from Woody about which player that he wanted in the Roy/Shelden draft. I think that this gives credibility to the rumor that BK was trying to stick it to Woody with his refusal to even consider anyone other than Shelden.

I do think that there are probably numerous quotes that we can find where Woody praised Deron Williams.

Quote:

Which part do you think is sarcastic?

The part where a GM drafts a player to screw his coach (that he hand-picked). The part where a GM drafts a player (Roy) who couldn't stay healthy in college and after a season where the team allowed about 80 PPG off of lay-ups.

Sure, Shelden was a tremendous bust but the number one complaint after drafting Childress, Smith and Marvin was about BK's infatuation with wing players while teams were killing us inside. So he drafted the 4th big man in the draft that season and a guy who at least should have provided interior defense. Right idea, wrong result. Kind of like taking your girl to a good seafood restaurant but she eats a bad shrimp. Right idea, wrong results.

So you really think that a GM on relatively thin ice would purposely screw his hand-picked coach? WOW!

Yeah, I think it's entirely possible if he wanted Woody gone as bad as it seems and who knows when that started. It may not have been entirely (or even mostly) to screw Woody it could have been a big FU to the media who always dogged him about drafting SFs. I find it incredibly odd that a guy who is extremely thorough would give a guy a promise and not even look at anyone else the way that he did. It's not like we were talking about Lebron or something with the pick. It was a very questionable guy who most felt was a reach. You don't find that odd? WOW!

Quote:

Chris Paul

Brandon Roy

Joe Johnson

Josh SMith

Hortford

WOW..best starting 5 in the league!-makes me wanna cry a lil bit lol o well..we still have a bright future

If we had drafted Chris Paul we would have had a slim chance at Roy and probably still would have taken Shelden because no one would have taken him at 5 and BK had a mancrush on him.

If we had taken Chris Paul, there's no way we would have ended up with the third pick two years later. Horford would have never joined the Hawks.

How do we know that he never considered anyone else? He worked out other players.

One thing that we have read is BK puts a lot of value on drafting healthy guys. Roy was injured often in college and while everyone chooses to ignore it, he has stayed injured in his 2 years as a pro. Maybe he will eventually get over that hurdle and play 78-82 games in 2-3 consecutive seasons. But I find it hard to get all bent out of shape about a guy who misses 15-20 games a season.

Shelden was a bad result, but let's not make Roy out to be any other than a nice player who misses 1 out of every 5 games. He may be this era's version of Penny Hardaway, a great talent who couldn't put it altogether because his body was ultimately too fragile.

Everyone likes to talk about Brandon Roy, but the guy the Hawks probably missed out on the most with that pick - the guy who would have probably had the biggest impact on this team - was Rajon Rondo. However, most of the fans on this site would have crapped in their pants had the Hawks taken him that high. Rondo is an up tempo point guard who can flat out play defense, and that's what the Hawks needed at the point guard position.