• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would you rather a franchise with Paul, Roy, Horf?

wakingup

To be honest, I'd take Horford. It's harder to find someone that dominant at that age, who has as much experience as he has from 2 college champs. Obviously Paul and Roy are good players but sucking in those drafts allowed us to get Horford. If we had Paul we'd be good, but nothing really inside. Roy we'd still be out of the playoffs but he'd still probably score 20 a night.

With Horford you can have a talented PG who won't be an All Star but still do very well, just like Howard/Jameer Nelson

Quote:

To be honest, I'd take Horford. It's harder to find someone that dominant at that age, who has as much experience as he has from 2 college champs. Obviously Paul and Roy are good players but sucking in those drafts allowed us to get Horford. If we had Paul we'd be good, but nothing really inside. Roy we'd still be out of the playoffs but he'd still probably score 20 a night.

With Horford you can have a talented PG who won't be an All Star but still do very well, just like Howard/Jameer Nelson

Well of course I'd take Chris Paul. Should have won the MVP this year, and he's beating up on the Spurs in the playoffs. He's a top 5 player in the NBA right now. I love Horford, but he doesn't have the potential to be that good. He'll be an above average player, very solid, maybe make a few All-Star games if things go right for him, but CP3 is huge.

Quote:

with Chris Paul u can have guys like Tyson Chandler and Peja Stojakovic that will never be all-stars but will look good.

CP3, but St. Horford is also going to be a beast. We really need to build around him. He is our present and our future.

Well good big men are harder to get and franchise big men are more rare than hens teeth and more valuable than gold, so I'm thrilled to death with Horf. That said though, MVP quality (and possibly HOF quality, but that's a LONG ways off) point guards don't exactly grow on trees either. Brandon Roy I wouldn't even consider on a par with Horford or Paul/Deron. He's a very good player, but somewhat a dime a dozen.

No matter what though, BK screwed up. I can't fault him for taking Marvin when he was the consensus #2 player in the draft, but I can fault him for adding on to our surplus of forwards and not trading down to get a PG. If I'm remembering it right, Utah was enamored with Marvin and was apparently trying to trade up in that draft in order to get him. But BK passed, and so here we are....

And I can fault him GREATLY for the Shelden pick. There's just no conceivable defense for that one, with Roy sitting right there for the taking like that.

Quote:

Well good big men are harder to get and franchise big men are more rare than hens teeth and more valuable than gold, so I'm thrilled to death with Horf. That said though, MVP quality (and possibly HOF quality, but that's a LONG ways off) point guards don't exactly grow on trees either. Brandon Roy I wouldn't even consider on a par with Horford or Paul/Deron. He's a very good player, but somewhat a dime a dozen.

No matter what though, BK screwed up. I can't fault him for taking Marvin when he was the consensus #2 player in the draft, but I can fault him for adding on to our surplus of forwards and not trading down to get a PG. If I'm remembering it right, Utah was enamored with Marvin and was apparently trying to trade up in that draft in order to get him. But BK passed, and so here we are....

And I can fault him GREATLY for the Shelden pick. There's just no conceivable defense for that one, with Roy sitting right there for the taking like that.

I seen why scouts wanted Marvin so bad because no one had the ability to do the things Marvin could potenially do. Needless to say, CP3 did get a lot better in the NBA then he was in college and Deron was what I thought, which was the best player in the draft. I like Bogut the most becuase he was a CENTER and was damn good. Those aren't easy to find, you draft projects in the top 10, but ones who are good are easy number 1 pick selection.

Especially in a draft that was questionable to many scouts at that time. CP3 has really gotten a lot better then he was at Wake. He wasn't suppose to start over Speedy intially in his rookie season. Deron was Deron, a kid who has the capablity to dominate but doesn't do it at will. Bogut was the easy option to many at that time. Marvin was a project, but no one thought the Hawks could be in the running anytime soon. They looked at the Hawks like we currently look at the Falcons. Many felt we needed a franchise player.

I think it all comes down to the question of what's more valuable to you in the context of the NBA- a franchise point guard or a franchise big man? Everyone will have their own opinion on that, but for me it's the big man due to their incredible scarcity.

Paul is undoubtedly one of the greats, but I can't wait to see where Al Horford is in two years time. I'm expecting he'll be right up there too. At any rate, I don't think any of us are ever going to regret having him on our team. smile.gif

Quote:

This is easy. Paul is the best of the bunch by a wide margin. Paul is already an MVP candidate and there is no guarantee that either Roy or Horford reach that level in their career.

Horford can be one of the best players in the game by his 3th year. He has the tools to become great. We just have to put the right players around him for that to happen. We need a true PG, a real Center, he doesn't even have to be really good, but he needs to be a true Center. No Zaza who is a PF who is not athletic enough to be PF and is stuck at the Center position.

Quote:

with Chris Paul u can have guys like Tyson Chandler and Peja Stojakovic that will never be all-stars but will look good.

Peja Stojakovic is a 3 time All Star, and if Ben Wallace can make multiple All Star teams, Chandler could easily make one in the future.

You guys are overestimating horf, CP3 most definately is a hall of famer

Horf will be at most a 22 13 guy, he doesnt have superior athletism and if you expect him to be like duncan or garnett you are in for a rude awakaning. Horf is good but not great like mvp level or hof level...

Quote:

Quote:

Peja Stojakovic is a 3 time All Star, and if Ben Wallace can make multiple All Star teams, Chandler could easily make one in the future. had a feeling i'd be wrong with Peja but didn't feel like checking.Oh well, u know what I mean.

Big AL is one of my favorite Hawks - but when we say "big man" let's be a bit honest...I think he can be a top-level PF. When folks talk about big men they usually mean centers that are so hard to come by.

As far as the subject question goes - it's CP3 by a mile. I will give AL the credit for really improving throughout the year though and I bet he improves even more next year. He surely isn't chopped liver.

Speaking of chopped liver - is there any hope at all that we get anything out of Speedy next year?

Quote:

Whoa there big fella. We're overestimating Horford, but you're putting CP3 in the Hall of Fame after only 3 seasons? Talk about premature....

How bout let's just wait and see. Anyway, it's absurd to declare someone a Hall of Famer after just three years in the league, no matter how good they are. Penny Hardaway looked like a surefire Hall of Famer too, after his third season. He was unbelievable as a PG, and that wasn't even his natural position. He came into the league as a shooting guard, but mentored as a PG under Scott Skiles....and then Skiles got hurt and Penny took over at PG full-time and became a massive star. I remember all the banners saying "Move over, Michael. It's Penny's league now", LOL. If you'd have asked people then, they'd have said the same thing..... "Oh yeah, Penny is a NO DOUBT Hall of Famer", but we all know how that one worked out.

So let's try and be realistic here. Paul is great, but it takes years and years and years of greatness to become a Hall of Famer.

Quote:

Quote:

Whoa there big fella. We're overestimating Horford, but you're putting CP3 in the Hall of Fame after only 3 seasons? Talk about premature....

Nothing premature about it. Unless he gets injured, he is in the hall of fame.

Quote:

LOL and did you not know that penny got injured. If he hadnt gone injured he wouldve been a hall of famer but the unfortunate happened. That is a very weak argument..

And that's the whole point. Something unforeseen happened, something no one could have predicted or projected. And the same thing can happen to Chris Paul or any other player. That's the point- you just don't know.

Quote:

LOL and did you not know that penny got injured. If he hadnt gone injured he wouldve been a hall of famer but the unfortunate happened. That is a very weak argument..

Penny relied on his athletic ability and when he lost it, he then became one dimensional and lost his edge so his fall from glory wasn't a shock. I wouldn't say the same for Paul, he relies on skill far more then athletic ability and those players are great for along time. See I. Thomas, see J. Stockton, see J. Kidd. Look at Gary Payton, he had both(skills and A.A.) but used more of his athletic ability and his career was on downfall after his 8th season. To me D. Rose is comparable to G. Payton.