• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ESPN says Billy King is a strong candidate

Plainview1981

• Moderators

Quote:

Larry Hughes looked like an injury prone bust at the time and the word was that it was Iverson who pretty much demanded that Hughes was traded because of Iverson's ego. Bowen was a nobody at the time and Billy Owens was on the severe downside of his career. In the long run the Sixers lost that trade but it wasn't nearly as bad at the time.

He does have a history of overpaying but that won't be a problem here since the owners won't let him overpay LOL.

Hughes was halfway through his second season - which would have been his junior year in college - and his per40 stats for that year were roughly 20 ppg, 6 rpg, 3 apg, 2 spg. Not exactly bust of the century stuff.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

Larry Hughes looked like an injury prone bust at the time and the word was that it was Iverson who pretty much demanded that Hughes was traded because of Iverson's ego. Bowen was a nobody at the time and Billy Owens was on the severe downside of his career. In the long run the Sixers lost that trade but it wasn't nearly as bad at the time.

He does have a history of overpaying but that won't be a problem here since the owners won't let him overpay LOL.

Hughes was halfway through his second season - which would have been his junior year in college - and his per40 stats for that year were roughly 20 ppg, 6 rpg, 3 apg, 2 spg. Not exactly bust of the century stuff.

McCulloch, Snow, McKie, Ratliff, Dalembert all got big deals. That's is what I remember, he smart at building a team up and finding a foundation but his negociation skills are the worst in the business.

To be fair Dalys contract doesn't look too bad now, Deke is STILL going strong and it isn't easy to build around Iverson.

The Webber trade was bad for sure but he probably underestimated Webers knee problems. the iverson-miller trade sure looks good though.

With our ownership he probably wouldn't be quite as free spending.

I'm now officially sure that Hawks management is actually a circus with clowns and bearded ladies and trapeze artists and the whole nine yards. I expect to come out of this with a baby elephant drawn on my face, eating cotton candy. Welcome to the big top folks, step right up and see the amazing Belkin monster.

First of all, Billy Knight resigning should NOT be a complete surprise because Billy Knight's contract was team optional wasn't it? Smelled like a forced resignation to me.

BILLY KING??!! BILLY KING???!!! BILLY FREAKING KING?!!! OMG...

probably the only GM not named Isiaih Thomas in the last 5 or so years that actually got more flack for decisions made than Billy Knight...good god man, can we do no better? would they really feel that he would be the BEST possible choice?

no, it's all about money and they need to get over that if they want to win.....Other than trading for Bibby, they continually show they are running this on the cheap...GET THE RIGHT PEOPLE IN HERE! i'd rather go with fitsimmons than this clown.

• Moderators

Quote:

To be fair Dalys contract doesn't look too bad now, Deke is STILL going strong and it isn't easy to build around Iverson.

The Webber trade was bad for sure but he probably underestimated Webers knee problems. the iverson-miller trade sure looks good though.

The overspending is not as simple to me as simply saying he will have a tighter budget here. It is what he chose to do with the $$s he had that makes me scratch my head.

Daly's contract looks better now so yeah for him. I'll have to check Ollie's, Thomas', Buckner's, etc. PERs to see if they look better.

The Philly fan base detested this guy so I am just saying be careful what you wish for here.

Also, he did build the base for the current team but I think they have less talent than we do - just a better coach.

Billy King isnt the best but I think he is better than Knight though..i'd take it i guess. He did a decent job with the Sixers but does have a tendency to overpay players. but he will fire coaches who dont do their job though..lets see what happens

Quote:

Quote:

The overspending is not as simple to me as simply saying he will have a tighter budget here. It is what he chose to do with the $$s he had that makes me scratch my head.

Daly's contract looks better now so yeah for him. I'll have to check Ollie's, Thomas', Buckner's, etc. PERs to see if they look better.

The Philly fan base detested this guy so I am just saying be careful what you wish for here.

Also, he did build the base for the current team but I think they have less talent than we do - just a better coach.

they have a true center and pg. I think that is the big difference between us and them.

King could have given Iggy a big extension but chose not to. Maybe he was starting to wise up.

Billy Kings is actually a pretty good GM. Once he got rid of Iverson he has shown he can rebuild a team the right way by suring up the center spot and PG spot. Then he went after his young wing in Thaddeous Young in the draft to pair with Iggy. That team is just lacking shooters.

The 76ers ownership was just not patient enough. They fired King but the team he assembled started winning right when he got fired without any additions from the new GM.

King was against trading Miller......we all know why now. He lead that young team to a huge turn around and a good season.

Dalembert's contract is not over priced. Remember he is one of the few quality centers in the NBA.

Holding on to Andre Miller proved to be the right move while most analysist guessed he would be traded to tear down and rebuild even more.

The pick of Thaddeous Young looks pretty good now. (Many thought he reached for him)

His 2nd round selection of Louis Williams looks pretty good now.

Since King got fired the team he assembled has played very well.

Is King a 5 Star GM or A rated GM...No......but he is a solid GM for sure.....we could do ALOT worse then King as GM.

And believe me, I am pumped about it. Getting the other BK is still a step-up in my opinion from Knight. Although King isn't my first or even 6th choice, I think we are moving in the right direction with Knight resigning.

Quote:

Billy Kings is actually a pretty good GM. Once he got rid of Iverson he has shown he can rebuild a team the right way by suring up the center spot and PG spot. Then he went after his young wing in Thaddeous Young in the draft.

The 76ers ownership iwas just not patient. They fired King but the team he assembled started winning right when he got fired without any additions from the new GM.

King was against trading Miller......we all know why now. He lead that young team to a huge turn around and a good season.

Dalembert's contract is not over priced. Remember he is one of the few quality centers in the NBA.

Holding on to Miller proved to be the right move

The pick of Thaddeous Young looks pretty good now. (Many thought he reached for him)

His 2nd round selection of Louis Williams looks pretty good now.

Since King got fired the team he assembled has played very well.

Is King a 5 Star GM or A rated GM...No......but he is a solid GM for sure.....we could do ALOT worse then King as GM.

But he overpay'd players during his time in Philly, you can't tell me that doesn't bother you. I agree, he is talented, but overpaying is not good... it's limits your franchise and is really bad.

• Premium Member

I think the thing is that a lot of Hawks fans have been listening to the bitching of the 76er fans.

However, King has done a good job of rebuilding quickly...in Philly and the team he built was pretty strong.

He did pick up some bad contracts... but what GM doesn't overpay a few guys every now and then. The point is that he knows talent.

Billy King is a Larry Brown guy. He has worked with Mike Woodson in the past. In fact, I believe Mike and Mo were assistants on Larry's staff in Philly. So, it may be a natural fit to slide Billy King into the GM spot with a guy he would probably be happy to work with as the head coach in Mike Woodson. And since he comes from Larry Brown's philosophy of playing strong team defense and sharing the basketball offensively, he would be a good fit because his philosophy matches Mike Woodson's.

Billy has done a very good job of rebuilding this 76ers team, and moving Allen Iverson was one of the best moves he could ever make. His draft picks have been good with guys like Andre Iguodala, Louis Williams, Rodney Carney, and Thaddeus Young coming via the draft. Andre Miller was a great trade aquisition in the Iverson deal, and an overlooked move this year was the Steven Hunter for Reggie Evans deal. Reggie Evans is a rebounding fool that averaged almost 8 RPG in less than 25 MPG, and Steven Hunter is a turd of a player.

If hired, I hope Billy has learned some restraint when it comes to giving out free agent money.

Perhaps bust is too strong, but he missed 30+ games each of his 1st two years and I believe one of those was from a knee injury but I can't remember for sure. I think the real reason that they traded him was because there were problems between he and AI.

• Moderators

Quote:

I think the thing is that a lot of Hawks fans have been listening to the bitching of the 76er fans.

You guys have persuaded me that I have taken King's criticism from Sixers fans and the media to heart too much and that he is likely a better GM than I gave him credit for. Still wouldn't be my first choice but at least it is more encouraging after reviewing some of the things he did correctly in addition to the well-known bad contracts.

Well, you know, I think a lot on here see Kiki Vandeweghe's name and think he's the guy the Hawks should go after. The fact is, Kiki probably did an even worse job with giving out free agent contracts in Denver than Billy did in Philly. Look at the Kenyon Martin deal and the Maybiner Hilario deal. That Kenyon Martin deal is what will keep Denver from ever being able to ascend in the West.

There isn't a perfect GM out there. Not even Jerry West, who foolishly gave Pau Gasol all that money and was never able to build Memphis into a solid team.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

You guys have persuaded me that I have taken King's criticism from Sixers fans and the media to heart too much and that he is likely a better GM than I gave him credit for. Still wouldn't be my first choice but at least it is more encouraging after reviewing some of the things he did correctly in addition to the well-known bad contracts.

I don't agree with KB a lot, but KB is on the money here...

If we did go outside of the organization, King is dat dude.

Seriously...

King would probably keep Woody in place.

IN fact, King = Woody = Bender = Herb is a link that is much stronger than BK... these guys have worked together. Gone to championships together.

I think that King = Woody would have a similar idea about moving forward.

One thing that King did in Philly is make sure that the Center and PG positions were always strong. That is the polar opposite of Knight.

That is the thing that Woody cried for during his time here at coach... only to be answered with Ty Lue and Shelden Williams.

The question that I have is this:

Who really pulled the trigger on the Bibby trade? Was it BK's idea or was he made to make that trade?

That trade happened at the same time it was leaked that there was a problem between BK and Woody and BK tried to get Woody fired 3 times.

What I would expect if we were to get King is this:

He'd find a way to fix our Center position.

He'd bring in some more assistant coaches of the LB philosophy. Probably some big name to help the offense.

He might trade Bibby to help get a Center.

Whoever becomes the GM will have to consider trading Bibby after we resign the Joshes. It makes sense and we can put Law up as the starter if we can get a good BU.

Quote:

Well, you know, I think a lot on here see Kiki Vandeweghe's name and think he's the guy the Hawks should go after. The fact is, Kiki probably did an even worse job with giving out free agent contracts in Denver than Billy did in Philly. Look at the Kenyon Martin deal and the Maybiner Hilario deal. That Kenyon Martin deal is what will keep Denver from ever being able to ascend in the West.

There isn't a perfect GM out there. Not even Jerry West, who foolishly gave Pau Gasol all that money and was never able to build Memphis into a solid team.

I have a feeling that, that trade of Gasol was with Derrick Rose going to Memphis(NBA). I really think the NBA will do that. They did it for Houston, Cleveland, and NY. Even rewarded Prittard for his good job with Oden.

I mean the NBA is suppose to step into deals like that and say hell no. But they didn't, Memphis per popl on % has the most basketball fans in the nation. Derrick Rose will be the first player to bring Memphis fans to the arena. Memphis has did everything the NBA wants, built a new arena, hell Jerry West is the face of the league. I without much doubt see Rose being in Memphis.

All for bringing Billy King to Atlanta bandwagon say I:

I

Billy King was reportedly very high on Acie Law last year, and before the draft, it was reported that the 76ers would draft him if he fell to their pick. If I'm not mistaken, the Hawks took him 1 pick before the 76ers pick.