• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Avery Johnson is in Atlanta

WraithSentinel

Quote:

He is the guest on NBA on TNT. Should we read into anything him being here other then he is just a guest?

I don't think we can read anything into that. However, the Hawks should at least talk to the man. It's not like Woody's been raising hell with his coaching.

One thing is I hope the Hawks at least interview other coaches, regardless of what happens. I hope they don't just make up their mind to keep Woody without even conducting other interviews, which is likely considering the Spirits' terrible regime.

Quote:

One thing is I hope the Hawks at least interview other coaches, regardless of what happens. I hope they don't just make up their mind to keep Woody without even conducting other interviews, which is likely considering the Spirits' terrible regime.

I'm still amazed that Woody is going to be kept. It's like something out of the twilight zone.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm still amazed that Woody is going to be kept. It's like something out of the twilight zone. lol....i can only pray that we can get Avery Johnson

Quote:

We don't have a GM. How can we hire a coach. Unless they talk with him about the GM job??????????????????????

Eh, things don't ALWAYS progress down from the top. I mean, ASG has seemingly decided to retain Woody without a GM, so what's wrong with them deciding to hire a coach without a GM? I mean, if you're dictating that someone will be the coach to prospective GMs, you'll find more people interested in moving forward with Avery Johnson than Mike Woodson in charge.

Jerry Jones in Dallas named Jason Garret the offensive coordinator of the Cowboys before he hired Wade Phillips to be his head coach. That's football, and slightly different, of course. But still, things happen and work out like this on occasion.

First thought:

No coach with Any integrity will interview for a job while another coach is employed.

Second:

Ownership has to dismiss a sitting coach before interviewing a coach with any integrity (see first thought).

Avery seems to be more of a media darling than a good coach. He is certainly not a "Great Coach" as someone asserted.

The thought of looking towards a "fired" coach as a "next" coach, gives me pause.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm still amazed that Woody is going to be kept. It's like something out of the twilight zone. I just cant believe it. As much as I thought BK did a decent job I realize he is gone. What better time to clean house of Woody as well. Hire a dam good gm after interviews. Even if it is an assistant somewhere else with a winning history who has learned alot and is ready to have his own team. For the love of GOD let that gm PICK HIS COACH.

Wow what a misleading thread title... made it sound like he was in Atlanta for some unknown reason when obviously he was invited by TNT not the Atlanta Hawks.

While Avery (or almost anyone in basketball) is certainly an upgrade over Woody, I think he's a bit overrated and took a talented team that Don & Donnie Nelson built and essentially related to the guys well-enough to get them to play D. Del Harris did much of the Xs and Os, and Avery made several costly mistakes in that department, as well (in addition to some substitution mistakes, altho nothing Woodyesque).

In my eyes, he has yet to prove himself since his team already was accustomed to winning without him, and in fact choked TWICE in the playoffs (the finals then Golden State) and it seemed like he had no clue in terms of making adjustments when two Hall of Famers completely outclassed him...

Quote:

Quote:

I'm still amazed that Woody is going to be kept. It's like something out of the twilight zone.

That made me laugh my tail off. I got the Twilight Zone song in my head while picturing Woody with his arms crossed....and then that guys voice saying something like " In a world where there are no consequences...no responsibility, a man who fails but gets to keep his job time and time again.... only in...the Twilight Zone. LOL!!

Its not the Twighlight Zone guys, Its the ASG Zone-

Come work for the ASG, if you fail misserably at your job, you will get a promotion! If you suceed you will be fired! We are cutting edge in management as we went to the Bizaro School of Management. All that is known is thrown out and the oposite is done- the results speak for themselves.

• Moderators

I guess Larry Brown has no integrity.

I'm not sure how many candidates with head coaching experience aren't fired coaches?

You may be right about Avery but he did a good job in Dallas. I think people thought Byron Scott wasn't that great until he brought a second team to excellence. So its hard to say whether Avery will be a great coach or not. One thing I do know is that Dallas may have a rough year next year.

Quote:

While Avery (or almost anyone in basketball) is certainly an upgrade over Woody

I'm just not seeing where he's that much better than Woody. Avery made some very bad decisions this year and was badly outcoached by Pat Riley during the finals. I think if Woody coaced the Mavs, his record would be similar to Avery Johnson's.

Hmm...Lon Krueger was a better coach than Woody??

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

While Avery (or almost anyone in basketball) is certainly an upgrade over Woody

I'm just not seeing where he's that much better than Woody. Avery made some very bad decisions this year and was badly outcoached by Pat Riley during the finals. I think if Woody coaced the Mavs, his record would be similar to Avery Johnson's.

Hmm...Lon Krueger was a better coach than Woody??

I'm not really feeling AJ either. I would take Fratello, Harris, or even Doc over AJ.