• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Martial Arts Movies?

mattlanta

• Moderators

Quote:

crouching tiger, hidden dragon ... great movie

Another is 'Hero' with Jet Li. You have to like wire work though but the visuals are amazing.

Both of those were definitely worth watching but I preferred the richer (IMO) storyline of Crouching Tiger. The visuals in Hero were pretty stunning, though.

Thanks for the opinions, every one. I'm probably going to do buy Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon brand new (I don't know why I do that with DVDs I know I will love), and then buy the rest used from Amazon (the following): Hero with Jet Li, Enter the Dragon with Bruce Lee, Drunken Master with Jackie Chan, Snake in Eagle Shadow with Jackie Chan, and Kung Pow (comedy).

Get Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior and Tom yum goong (The Protector); both by Tony Jaa. Old school style kicking it in the rear end... no wire works.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368909/ Ong Bak

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427954/ Tom yum goong

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">

• Moderators

Quote:

Get Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior and Tom yum goong (The Protector); both by Tony Jaa. Old school style kicking it in the rear end... no wire works.

Those look entertaining. While athletically impressive, I do have to ask if anyone actually does those spinning, flip kicks in real life or if that is just razzle, dazzle for the movies. Somehow, I don't see anyone doing that in MMA. Those who watch MMA can correct that if I am wrong.

Quote:

Quote:

Those look entertaining. While athletically impressive, I do have to ask if anyone actually does those spinning, flip kicks in real life or if that is just razzle, dazzle for the movies. Somehow, I don't see anyone doing that in MMA. Those who watch MMA can correct that if I am wrong.

Although asthetically entertaining I don't think they hold as much weight in a real fight. High reward - High risk move.

• 3 weeks later...

Quote:

Some good newer humorous ones....Kung Fu Shuffle or Shaolin Soccer.

Kung Fu Hustle was a surprisingly good movie. It's a little cartoony, but if you enjoy comedy and kung fu, it's definitely worth seeing.

Tony Jaa's movies are also very good martial arts movies. The plots are not good, but the action is top-knotch. He pulls some ridiculous stunts that make Jackie Chan look like Billy Blanks.

• 2 weeks later...
One of the better new-age karate movies I have seen recently is WAR with Jet Li and Jason Statham (sp?). It does a lot of the "yeah right!" action but the plot was good and the fight scenes CRAZY

I watched, or atleast tried to watch, war. It seemed alright, but it just started a little too slow for me. The opening scene was alright, but after that it gets fairly boring.