• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Make the run.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Hawks should make a run at James Posey.

He opted out in Boston.

I would offer a 4 yr 26 Million dollar deal.

Right after we signed Josh Childress.

Then of course, I would start shopping Marvin.

Posey brings good defense and good three point shooter and now Championship experience. He'd be a good guy to have on our young team.

• Premium Member

They're not paying the luxury tax.

I don't know how many times I'm going to have to say this, but I'll do it every time necessary this summer.

You need to be looking at guys 30+ who will sign for the vet minimum, already have a ring, and likely live in the Atlanta area.

• Premium Member

The final check on the luxury tax isn't due until Feb. They can sign players and make a trade that would save them from paying the luxury tax. Like you know... Trade Bibby to a team that has capspace and a desire for a vet PG.

Sometimes, to get what you want, you have to be willing to gamble.

Quote:

He opted out in Boston.

Posey brings good defense and good three point shooter and now Championship experience. He'd be a good guy to have on our young team.

We could take that (almost) 7 mil a year, and get 2 good veterans. We wouldn't be able to fill our roster unless we resign all of our old players and go over the luxury tax.

• Premium Member

Quote:

That is WAAAAY too much for James Posey. I would like him here but that's too much.

My thinking was that he will prolly get a 4 year offer starting at the MLE from lots of teams. IF they give raises that will be:

4 year 25.8 million.

I know 0.2 million dollar seem like much, but maybe it makes a difference. We could also put the team option after the 2nd year and a player option after the 3rd year.

Point is.. he has what we need in a skillset.

Lock down defender.

Three point shooting range.

experience.

He just opted out of a 3.6 million dollar deal so it's likely he's not taking anything under 5.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

He opted out in Boston.

We could take that (almost) 7 mil a year, and get 2 good veterans. We wouldn't be able to fill our roster unless we resign all of our old players and go over the luxury tax.

Just for grins... What 2 good vets are you talking about?

Quote:

Honestly I never would have guessed!!!

Posey is a role player who benefits from an established post game and that is how he gets his shots off uncontested. Playing with Shaq and KG makes him look better than what he is. WE have no post game and our PF Smoove would be hanging out with him on the perimeter chucking bad shots. His fg is piss poor. We would lose 50 games next season.

He simply is to expensive given our intention to resign the Joshes. It is important that we add good depth behind JJ. I have never been impressed with Richardson who has alot to prove if he plays on our Summer league team. Our realistic options include: Casey Jacobson, Richie Frahm, Kirk Snyder, Derrick Byars, Juan Dixon, Luke Jackson, Quinton Ross, Ira Newble, etc. I can't recall his contract but maybe D. Wilkins would be available from the Sonics. Sund has a history with him and he has lit us up in the past. He could also play the point for small periods of time if needed. We need better play from the end of our roster to ultimately improve in the regular season.

Quote:

I don't know how many times I'm going to have to say this, but I'll do it every time necessary this summer.

You need to be looking at guys 30+ who will sign for the vet minimum, already have a ring, and likely live in the Atlanta area.

That means we're bringing Anthony Johnson back, although I don't think AJ has a ring. Lue has a ring though.

So who else will be on the roster along with Lue next year?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Honestly I never would have guessed!!!

Posey is a role player who benefits from an established post game and that is how he gets his shots off uncontested. Playing with Shaq and KG makes him look better than what he is. WE have no post game and our PF Smoove would be hanging out with him on the perimeter chucking bad shots. His fg is piss poor. We would lose 50 games next season.

If we continue to allow JJ to dominate the ball, we won't need a post player passing out to posey. JJ can. The way I see it, our coaching staff hasn't changed, so instead of trying to change how we play, we need to look for players that fit that Brownish kind of system. For an example... look at Detroit. Wallace should be a dominate post player, but they are not weird that way. They take their direction from Billups and ball movement. we can do the same.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Scot Pollard, Devean George, and Tyronn Lue.

Gets your blood going, huh?

This is the reality of the Bibby trade.

Regardless of what you say, the Bibby trade was fantastic. And we can still trade him right now, July 1st... if we chose to.

I was just thinking about Bibby to the Lakers for Lamar Odom and Farmer... then moving Odom.

The point is that we better recognize that he's capspace and we got a very good deal.

Quote:

You think he actually listens to what other people say???? You should know better.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Regardless of what you say, the Bibby trade was fantastic.

I'm not disagreeing with that.

But, the reality is, Bibby's contract has limited the Hawks' ability to sign the more useful bench players.

Hence Sund's description of the "core of 8."

Quote:

If that were the George and Pollard of 6 - 7 years ago, I wouldn't mind that at all.

I could really see one of AJ or Lue coming back here for one year though. Acie's play in summer league might determine that. If i had a choice, it'll probably be AJ, due to his ability to defend the point and some 2-guards. He would ONLY play when Law or Bibby were just flat out stinking up the court.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He opted out in Boston.

Just for grins... What 2 good vets are you talking about?

I didn't have anybody in particular in mind. The point is..we could sign two players with the 7 mil we'd be overpaying Posey with. We'll only have like 8 players (if we resign both Joshes) on our roster, and paying Posey 7 mil for 4 years would only make our cap situation much worse than it is, and wouldn't make our team a whole lot better to justify it.

Quote:

Quote:

If that were the George and Pollard of 6 - 7 years ago, I wouldn't mind that at all.

I could really see one of AJ or Lue coming back here for one year though. Acie's play in summer league might determine that. If i had a choice, it'll probably be AJ, due to his ability to defend the point and some 2-guards. He would ONLY play when Law or Bibby were just flat out stinking up the court.

I saw where Denver? was wooing Lue. ?? I bet he'll get offers because he can be instant offense off the bench.

Quote:

Quote:

Regardless of what you say, the Bibby trade was fantastic. And we can still trade him right now, July 1st... if we chose to.

I was just thinking about Bibby to the Lakers for Lamar Odom and Farmer... then moving Odom.

The point is that we better recognize that he's capspace and we got a very good deal.

Trade for Bibby got as 15-17 record. Extrapolate that over a full season, and that stretch is pretty much like winning 38 games. So we're 1-2 games better with this guy than with what we had, but our salary cap got liposuctioned away, and can't really make any roster moves. I know he wasn't entirely healthy...that doesn't make the trade any smarter. And then he was one of the weak links during the playoffs for us. He had maybe one good game and one decent one.

The kicker for that trade is that we threw in a second round pick. In a deep draft.

Some thought on this thread. #1. I dont think we can afford Posey and all things being equal he will prolly stay in Boston. #2. That 15-17 record somebody mentioned was with the 1st 5 games of the Bibby era out west vs quality teams. We were in a complete tailspin when Bibby arrived and we kind of evened out and settled down with him. #3. If A.J did come back I could see Woody playing him alot if Bibby and Acie are inconsistant. AJ doesnt turn the ball over and he plays defense. #4. If Lue could ever stay healthy I would take him back in a second. I would tell him dont dribble just stand behind the 3 point line, smile and wait for the ball.