• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Another team may be entering the picture...

HawkNJersey

for nothing than to overpay him. It would also be worse to let him get away for significantly less than value (draft picks, scrubs, etc) than to overpay for him.

Face it, if we let Smoove get away without getting back something at least comparable in return, we won't even SNIFF the playoffs next year and we might not sniff them for the forseeable future. Letting Smoove go for nothing or even trading him for future draft picks and lesser players would set this franchise back for YEARS (Actually, the same could be said for JJ & Horford).

The bottom line is that the ASG CAN'T simply not match an offer to Smoove. If he gets a 5 yr/$85M offer, I suggest that they go have a big cry and then come back and match it.

I'll tell you this, if they let him walk for NOTHING (or even close to nothing - i.e. draft picks), I will still follow the team but I will cancel my season tickets for this year in protest.

Quote:

Quote:

1) We could match (I prefer this option)

2) They give us Biedrins and change for him

Either way, we are fine.

I'm not so sure we could make a trade if he signs their offer sheet. And they can resign Biedrins even if they sign Smoove...

Easy solution to that problem.

We tell them if they don't give us Biedrins/whatever other pieces we want, then we are going to match the offer.

And if they don't agree, then match the offer.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1) We could match (I prefer this option)

2) They give us Biedrins and change for him

Either way, we are fine.

I'm not so sure we could make a trade if he signs their offer sheet. And they can resign Biedrins even if they sign Smoove...

Easy solution to that problem.

We tell them if they don't give us Biedrins/whatever other pieces we want, then we are going to match the offer.

And if they don't agree, then match the offer.

Simple as that ! I don't think they could presume we were bluffing with Smith being a home town kid and us having the ability to match w/o incurring any tax. I bet they play ball.

One player Golden State has who I really like a lot more than others on this board is Brandan Wright. He had a 17.29 PER as a skinny rookie, and I think he has a lot of room to improve. I could see him becoming a big-time player in the future. If the choice was to lose Smoove for nothing because of cheap owners or else get something back, I wouldn't mind Biedrins and Wright or even Wright, Azuibuike and a future first. I actually think Wright will become a better, more efficient scorer than Smoove and will also rebound as well or better once his career really gets off the ground.

• Moderators

Quote:

One player Golden State has who I really like a lot more than others on this board is Brandan Wright. He had a 17.29 PER as a skinny rookie, and I think he has a lot of room to improve. I could see him becoming a big-time player in the future. If the choice was to lose Smoove for nothing because of cheap owners or else get something back, I wouldn't mind Biedrins and Wright or even Wright, Azuibuike and a future first. I actually think Wright will become a better, more efficient scorer than Smoove and will also rebound as well or better once his career really gets off the ground.

I am not sure what they will do with their two young PFs they drafted the last two years in the lottery if they pickup Smith. Their team relies way too much on perimeter shooting to even consider Smith at SF. That said, I could see them trying him some at center given that Harrington played there (although Harrington at C opens a ton of 3pt shots on the offensive end when centers don't come out and noboby would want Smoove shooting those shots).

• Premium Member

Quote:

Jeez you guys are so paranoid. Golden State can't offer him more than the max and if we feel like he is worth the max then let them offer him a deal. We'll either match it or not match it, the same as we would with Philly or Memphis.

Yep this is just the art of negotiations. The exception Squawk fans are worried about is the "ineptness" of the ASG.

The ASG cannot afford to let JSmoove go, that would be a public relations disaster and would cost them millions. So, in the end we will keep JSmoove but Childress may be another matter.

With such huge figures being thrown out on the first day, the trickle down could be incredible and by the time it gets around to us after we resolve the Joshes contracts . . . . we will have no chance at signing anyone but the left overs. That's all we will be able to afford.

Guest Walter

Quote:

And I would do either deal depending upon the first if GS offers a deal we are unlikely to match. I really want Biedrins in all this so I'd be willing to throw in the future 1st in 2010 for Beidrins/Wright for Smith/ZaZa. I think Biedrins/Wright/ad Horford would give us a 1, 2, 3 punch Pf/C rotation that couldn't be beat and for the next 3 years wouldn't be all that expensive.

Still GS has absolutely NO reason to send out Biedrins when they can outright make a huge offer for Smith and still resignboth Monta and AB. Moreover, Biedrins would want to come here and be willing to sign with us for whatever amount. We'd likely end up having to overpay for him as well.

Simply this is an unlikely as our situation with JS and his suitors is bad.

W

Quote:

Quote:

Golden State....just heard them mentioned on the radio. They now have have over 17 million in cap space, according to this guy. He said he's hearing Smoove looks to be a target. Even Chad Ford mentioned that the Warriors are able make Smoove a max offer.

GS could definitely be a problem because Smith fits there probably better than he would fit anywhere else.

Um, how exactly does he fit with Randolph, Wright, Biedrins?