• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Greatest Hawks disappointment.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Quote:

Trading Dominique

It's funny. I believed that trading dominique was also very disappointing.

However, if Danny Manning would have stayed and had carried us to the finals or had strung out 4 to 5 allstar seasons, would it have been disappointing?

For instance, I was heartbroken when we traded John Drew for Nique. Drew was one of our main guys. However, Nique came in and became the franchise. Took the sting right out of losing Drew.

So here's where I'm going. Didn't Manning bolting to the Suns really cause the sting to sting the most?

For me, the Reggie Theus/Moses Malone/Dominique experiment was very, very disappointing (and educational). I was a young basketball fan who believed that adding quality players is what was required to build a cahmpion. I didn;t know anything about chemistry, roles or intangibles. Theus, Moses and 'Nique were 3 elite scorers and I was sure we would have it all, low post scoring and rebounding from Moses, Reggie shooting bombs and 'Nique doing it from all over the court. Boy, that team reeked.

Between that experience, and the Sixers winning without George McGinnis and with Marc Iavaroni, I finally learned the value of having the hard-hat worker who doesn't need the ball and is content with putting the team's needs first.

Boy, I'm going to really miss Childress.

Easily Marvin for me. While he is an average player we needed our #2 pick to be an allstar if your looking to rebuild from scratch through the draft.

Nique was "well done" and wanting big money after we traded him. The fact that no team offered him more then a 1 year contract is proof of that. No team hunting for a championship even called him.

Quote:

If we fail to resign JSmoove, I'm sure it will be in the running for greatest Hawk disappointment, but there are some others that are probably worse.

I picked the ASG fallout. A lot of the things on the list were before my time, so I picked the most disappointing thing in recent memory.

Quote:

For me, the Reggie Theus/Moses Malone/Dominique experiment was very, very disappointing (and educational). I was a young basketball fan who believed that adding quality players is what was required to build a cahmpion. I didn;t know anything about chemistry, roles or intangibles. Theus, Moses and 'Nique were 3 elite scorers and I was sure we would have it all, low post scoring and rebounding from Moses, Reggie shooting bombs and 'Nique doing it from all over the court. Boy, that team reeked.

Between that experience, and the Sixers winning without George McGinnis and with Marc Iavaroni, I finally learned the value of having the hard-hat worker who doesn't need the ball and is content with putting the team's needs first.

Boy, I'm going to really miss Childress.

I believe that team would have been special if it were not for Fratello. Fratello banished Theus to the bench because of their personal issue. We definitely had the right players but the wrong coach.

Quote:

If we fail to resign JSmoove, I'm sure it will be in the running for greatest Hawk disappointment, but there are some others that are probably worse.

Rider and Shelden are up there because you could see how devastating those decisions would be but they were made anyway.

• Premium Member

This could be deemed blasphemous, but I didn't judge the Nique/Manning trade nearlly as harshly as many. My allegiance to Nique was conflicted by the fact that I saw him as a black hole (as was Kevin Willis, fwiw). I confess that I thought Manning's passing ability would make the Hawks a better team, emphasis on team. And, in actuality, I remember thinking the team looked better, and just wanted to see Manning come back for a full year. When he didn't, that really made this trade look 10x worse.

No, for me, the Babcock decision to trade Steve Smith for J.R. Rider was the most incredibly outrageously idiotic trade I think I've ever seen. And that was just when it was announced. When Rider did his mysterious circus thing and couldn't be bothered to show up for his own news conference with his new team... geez... someone may happen to remember this... I swore off the Hawks. Didn't watch a game. Tried to avoid seeing scores. My own little personal protest, or what some may call a hissy-fit. Until he was divorced from the team, my intention was to remain divorced from being a fan, and I did.

At that time, the Hawks were a year-in-year-out playoff team... a year-in-year-out non-serious-contender playoff team, though, and so everyone knew that some major shake-up was coming... Rider made a few SportsCenter reels, but hadn't proven himself to be anything near consistent.

I go back to Maravich and Sweet Lou, and in my lifetime, there is no move that any ATL GM has ever made that BOTH was an obvious bad idea AND ended up being an even worse idea than it seemed when consumated.

• Moderators

there's a typo there right. supposed to be trading smitty and mookie.

Anyway. I don't think Manning bolting was the disappointment because he didn't lead anyone to anything. So the trade was the bad part because manning just wasn't good enough even if he'd stayed. I don't think you can make the case that we would have been championship contenders with him, but maybe I underestimate him.

Quote:

Quote:

Trading Dominique

However, if Danny Manning would have stayed and had carried us to the finals or had strung out 4 to 5 allstar seasons, would it have been disappointing?

For instance, I was heartbroken when we traded John Drew for Nique. Drew was one of our main guys. However, Nique came in and became the franchise. Took the sting right out of losing Drew.

So here's where I'm going. Didn't Manning bolting to the Suns really cause the sting to sting the most?

Your old enough to remember trading John Drew for Nique?

Didn't Drew have a drug problem or was that someone else?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Trading Dominique

Yeah. Drew did have a drug problem. Before he was traded, I saw it first hand, just didn't know how to take it. It's unfortunate. He was a good player. I can't say if Drugs were the reason why that team wasn't able to turn the corner, but my disappointment in Drew quickly turned with the play of Nique.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Trading Dominique

Can't speak for Drew, but Fast Eddie may be the person you're thinking of... or, Mookie, who was once caught with some pot.

Regarding Manning, again I know I'm in the minority, but I really thought the team as a whole was better, and felt that as good a year as Nique was having, he wasn't likely going to be able to keep putting us on his shoulders all the way through the playoffs. Can't deny that the team ultimately underachieved with Manning, but my perception was that it was better to take that risk given my perception that we would otherwise run out of gas with Nique.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Regarding Manning, again I know I'm in the minority, but I really thought the team as a whole was better, and felt that as good a year as Nique was having, he wasn't likely going to be able to keep putting us on his shoulders all the way through the playoffs. Can't deny that the team ultimately underachieved with Manning, but my perception was that it was better to take that risk given my perception that we would otherwise run out of gas with Nique.

Ok... I'll bite.

I think we were a little bit tougher with Nique. Sure statistically, we may have been better with Manning, but with Nique, I just think we were a stronger, tougher team. I specifically remember us beating a streaking Houston team. Houston had won something like 14 in a row and we had won something like 6 in a row and we beat them. Manning on the team made us more team like, but we were built to rely on somebody. That's why when the playoffs came and we played the Pacers, the pressure was on, Manning didn't take to the pressure well.

We put 35 Million on the table for Manning and he left us for 1 million. It was Karma when he got hurt.

Can't speak for Drew, but Fast Eddie may be the person you're thinking of... or, Mookie, who was once caught with some pot.

Mookie doing pot?

That's not a drug problem!

Sniiffing stuff up your nose, injecting with a needle or using something with the name "Rock" in the title is a drug problem!