• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

5 Yr/$72M Extension For Bogut

Traceman

Probably starts at about $12.5M a season. I wonder how that will affect negotiations with Smoove? Probably not as much as HE thinks it should but quality Centers simply make more money for their level of production than other players.

• Premium Member

1. Centers are vital in this game.

2. Good Centers are hard to come by.

3. Bogut hasn't been terrible.

4. Milwaukee KNOWS that they can't afford to get into a scuffle over their players next offseason.

On the surface it seems to me they were basically bidding against themselves at this point in time. Is that not near max money for a player with his service in the league?

I'm not arguing against paying Bogut + the money of let's say Sam Dalembert, what I'm making the argument against is the timing.

I'd like someone to explain to me Milwaukee's reasoning for extending a RFA a year early when they have no idea what the market will look like a year from now.

edit: Due to the money they are paying Bogut (isn't that near max level?) Bogut's situation doesn't compare with Smoove's as the Bucks aren't really saving any money by signing him to this deal like the Hawks would have last year with Smoove.

Quote:

It's actually 5 years, $60M with incentives that could possibly bring it up to $72M.

Marvin will likely look for closer to $50M, IMHO.

We been through our ups and downs with Marvin. He could have a killer year and the price will go up (if atl waits which I think they will) or he could not progress at all and he still will be labeled an underachiever and they either wouldnt resign him or bring him in for a fair price. So many things for the Hawks to consider in the next few years.

Quote:

Anyone care to make the argument why Milwaukee gave him that contract?

Here is my guess as to the Buck's thinking:

1) They want to demonstrate that they are committed to winning. Since Jefferson is still reeling from the trade, I think this could be good-will move. That is this helps with locker room issues and gets the team off on the right foot for 08-09.

2) Bogut's production is not bad at all, and he seems to be the heart of that team. Next year I would think the market could explode on Bogut, esp since there are so many teams looking to clear cap to go after LBJ and Wade. The losers would certainly look to snag someone else. Bogut is one of the few traditional centers in the NBA, thus his skills would be in high demand. I wouldn't have been surprised to see someone offer him the max if he hadn't taken the deal.

Just my two cents and I could be completely off-base.

Quote:

On the surface it seems to me they were basically bidding against themselves at this point in time. Is that not near max money for a player with his service in the league?

I'm not arguing against paying Bogut + the money of let's say Sam Dalembert, what I'm making the argument against is the timing.

I'd like someone to explain to me Milwaukee's reasoning for extending a RFA a year early when they have no idea what the market will look like a year from now.

edit:
Due to the money they are paying Bogut (isn't that near max level?) Bogut's situation doesn't compare with Smoove's as the Bucks aren't really saving any money by signing him to this deal like the Hawks would have last year with Smoove.

A max deal right now is in the vicinity of 5 years $85 million i believe for a guy who has been in the league 4 years. However the cap will probably go up some next year so a max deal will be even higher next summer.

Plus as MrH pointed out there are a lot of incentives in the deal. It isn't $72 million in salaries alone.

Quote:

Quote:

1) They want to demonstrate that they are committed to winning. Since Jefferson is still reeling from the trade, I think this could be good-will move. That is this helps with locker room issues and gets the team off on the right foot for 08-09.

2) Bogut's production is not bad at all, and he seems to be the heart of that team. Next year I would think the market could explode on Bogut, esp since there are so many teams looking to clear cap to go after LBJ and Wade. The losers would certainly look to snag someone else. Bogut is one of the few traditional centers in the NBA, thus his skills would be in high demand. I wouldn't have been surprised to see someone offer him the max if he hadn't taken the deal.

Take a look at his last 3 months of this past season. He averaged around 16/11/2. Not bad for a young big man. In fact, pretty good. No doubt that centers are more highly paid, a simple matter of supply and demand. I could be wrong, but his deal seems in the ballpark with what Kaman received a few years ago.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

The market has shifted against RFA. More and more are apt to take the 1 year qualifying offer. Milwaulkee is a small market team who can't afford to lose a rare high quality center like Bogut.

W