• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

According to Ric Bucher on 680...

khaos7

Smoove wants out. Bucher was on 680. He's looking for a contract that the Hawks won't match. Apparently, the disconnect is between he and Woodson. He is proud of what they accomplished last year and loves this city. However, he wants to get away from Woodson. The Hawks decision to keep Woody is directly impacting what we're seeing now. That said the Clippers aren't sold on Smith. They think it could be dangerous to give him a boat load of money, at age 22, with a suspect attitude.

Of course, we don't know how much we should trust Ric's "sources." That said, given Woody's record and coaching ability, I would be upset that Josh would be leaving because we decided to keep Woody.

As inconsitant as Josh has been, I believe he's done more to warrent staying here than Woody.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd imagine that they would talk to their FAs before resigning Woody. If they thought that signing Woody would make Smith want to leave, I doubt they'd do it. Smith is our second best player and more than anyone else, even Joe, he puts ATL asses in seats. Woody is a dime a dozen.

Bucher of course, said that Kobe wasn't going to put on a Lakers jersey ever again so I'll take what he says with a whole salt-shaker... especially considering we haven't heard anything else about this and no one else even puts enough stock in it to pick it up and run with it... he hasn't even put it down on paper.

Quote:

I'd imagine that they would talk to their FAs before resigning Woody. If they thought that signing Woody would make Smith want to leave, I doubt they'd do it. Smith is our second best player and more than anyone else, even Joe, he puts ATL asses in seats.
Woody is a dime a dozen

Bucher of course, said that Kobe wasn't going to put on a Lakers jersey ever again so I'll take what he says with a whole salt-shaker... especially considering we haven't heard anything else about this and no one else even puts enough stock in it to pick it up and run with it... he hasn't even put it down on paper.

doubt that.There have been some bad coaches but I've never seen a coach to act more retarded.

Also, if Bucher's contacts are people in the Clipper's FO, he could be hearing what Smith's people were saying, "give him a big enough deal that Altanta doesn't match, he really wants to play for you but they can retain his services if they want to." to drive the price up. At the end of the day, Smith would probably prefer to stay at home near his family than go to the west coast purgatory.

Quote:

Quote:

Bucher of course, said that Kobe wasn't going to put on a Lakers jersey ever again so I'll take what he says with a whole salt-shaker

Winning and Money will fix alot of things. Doesnt matter of its Kobe or Josh Smith. Clearly management didnt think this was much of a problem when they brought back woody. So its either their bad or the story isnt true. We will see.

Quote:

If we're offering a 5/60 deal as our final offer, and the Clippers are offering a 5/70 deal . . . Smith will be on a plane to the West Coast.

People don't turn down a chance to make 10 extra million dollars.

5 yrs $70 million is what they were offering Brand. Somehow i doubt they will offer the same deal to Smith.

Now that Philly is out of the picture i think the Hawks have Smith by the short hairs. Just look at all the quality restricted free agents available right now. So far they have gotten a grand total of zero offers from other teams.

Quote:

If we're offering a 5/60 deal as our final offer, and the Clippers are offering a 5/70 deal . . . Smith will be on a plane to the West Coast.

Have you heard that we won't match anything above 5/60? I'd be very suprised if ASG let him walk for anything under 5/70, above that I'm less confident.

Quote:

Quote:

5 yrs $70 million is what they were offering Brand. Somehow i doubt they will offer the same deal to Smith.

Now that Philly is out of the picture i think the Hawks have Smith by the short hairs. Just look at all the quality restricted free agents available right now. So far they have gotten a grand total of zero offers from other teams.

People on this board will throw up in their mouths reading this but if the money were the same I think I'd offer a contract to Emeka Okafor before I'd offer one to Josh Smith to be honest with you.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

People on this board will throw up in their mouths reading this but if the money were the same I think I'd offer a contract to Emeka Okafor before I'd offer one to Josh Smith to be honest with you.

Reading the Clipps board they seem to be in favor of Smith even if they have to overpay.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You'd get mixed reactions from that comment I'd imagine.

The way I see it is that Smith is already better than Oka, especially for the system we run because Okafor can't create his own shot and the only players that do that consistently on the Hawks are Smith and Joe. Okafor's defensive impact on his team has decreased and he scores less points inside the painted area than Smith. Okafor is worse than Smith now but more than 3 years older. Okafor has not only an injury history, but permanent injury concerns. etc...

A lot of it is a question of taste because the numbers say that Smith and Joe are the only two above average players on this team before or after the Bibby trade.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

while i disagree because smith is better than okafur, if smoove goes to the clips than should we make a run at okafur? doesnt he play center?

Quote:

while i disagree because smith is better than okafur, if smoove goes to the clips than should we make a run at okafur? doesnt he play center?

We won't have the cap room to make a move if Smoove walks away w/o making some other moves.

We'll be over the cap but under the luxury tax after awarding Smith a deal starting in the 11-12 range.

Quote:

They have to offer enough to make the ASG blink though. I thin we match 5/60 without hesitation. 5/70 is a different story. We might blink at that.

Great point you make though about thr other RFA's. If I'm a guy like Ben Gordon, I'm definitely concerned that I may be offered less money than a year ago.

you have one of the worst coaches in the NBA and you keep him when better options are available and we keep him....we played scared...and now you MIGHT lose a franchise player because of it? for woody? good lord..

when Sund was asking players and he saw that his big free agent guy didn't like him, did he not consider that?