Time to dismantle.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Since we are changing.. MCDavid should do what he's good at... Dismantle the Hawks. Just like he sent Mash, JJ, JKidd packing.. He should finish what he started here. Maybe by 2007, we will be in a position to compete again. However, we are fooling ourselves thinking that we have a shot at anything in the next 2 years. AND then we will be decimated by FAcy... So let's dismantle now, save the heartache, and Build anew.

My First order of the day would be:

Theo/SAR to Portland for Wallace/Bonzi.

Those two have contracts that end this year and will yeild us 24 million dollars next year. With that deal, we can probably get a draft pick.

The Second deal of the day is JT(SNT)/Hendu to Utah for Ostertag/Harpring.

I would take on Harpring's Contract for the future. I like him.

I would take on Ostertag's contract simply because he's in his last year also. This gives us 9 million more in capspace next year.

So in the end, we have:

Ostertag/Wallace/Harpring/Bonzi/Dickau as our starters.

We can call it the all contract team.

I think we'd probably win a few more than we would with what we have.

Dickau gets good game experience.

And next year, we'd have:

Nazr/Harpring/Dickau/Diaw/Hansen/CC under contract.

That's about 17 million.

You love Big Dog.

McDavid is broke and is only out for profit.

Diaw sucks.

You're willing to trade anyone at anytime for a variety of people.

You keep saying he dismantled the Big 3 in Dallas despite numerous evidence that he didn't want to break them up nor had any say in doing so.

You say he's out for profit and is broke without any specific evidence.

You claim Big Dog is a good fit for the Hawks despite numerous accounts that he ruined team chemistry.

Please do us all a favor and focus. Come with one solid Hawks strategy and stick to it. Stop with all the crazy trades.

I know you're a veteran but you flooding the posts with garbage. Is your alter ego taking over?

• Premium Member

Well first we sign our Lottery pick if we have one.

Secondly, we look at who's coaching at what he says. He might feel like Wallace is a keeper or Bonzi is a Keeper. Then we go along with the coaches move to try to build from SCRATCH.

However, don't be fooled.

We will have roughly 30 million dollars to spend. The City sells itself. There's a bigger FA class next year. You never know what might happen. Look at Denver.

• Premium Member

McDavid was the minority owner but he talks about having played a part in the dismantling. He help Ross Perot Jr. because Perot Jr. was not involved directly in the basketball decisions..

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/06-96...96/d05sp130.htm

http://www.dfw.net/~patricia/mavs/mavs-new...6summer/mavs7-6

'>http://www.ibiblio.org/craig/draft/1997_draft/15.html

In reply to:

Probably the most disheartening aspect of the plight of the Mavericks is that

the ownership and GM do not appear to committed to getting the Mavericks

back to respectability.

For some entertainment, check out the Mavs official web site at

www.nba.com.
According to the Mavs, the future's so bright, Dallas fans

will have to wear shades. From that site:

IN MAY 1, 1996 THE DALLAS MAVERICKS were purchased by an ownership

group of Ross Perot, Jr., David McDavid and Frank Zaccanelli. In the

three months since then, the Mavericks have embarked on the most aggressive

and ambitious offseason in the team's 16-year history. Seven new players

have been added to the team's roster and a major re-structuring of the

organization's front office has occurred.

Pardon me, I have to get my hip waders to continue...

Before Nelson arrived, the ownership moved Jason Kidd to Phoenix in a

trade that was, at best, only slightly tilted toward the Suns. If Dallas would

have received Steve Nash instead of Sam Cassell in the deal, it might have

turned out OK. Getting AC Green's contract was a major mistake.

Also, the Mavs gave up a good #1 pick to get Eric Montross from Boston.

Montross wasn't a bad fit for Dallas (if the three Js would have clicked), but

giving up a potential lottery pick for Montross wasn't a good move. Getting

snookered by ML Carr is not something to be proud of. I'm sure the

thinking was that Dallas wouldn't be in the lottery with the three Js and that

Minnesota wouldn't be that good - hey, we're good and we get a lottery

pick! Turns out those were two bad assumptions.

Then, after hiring Don Nelson as the new GM, things went from bad to worse.

Nelson pulled the trigger on two of the more, er, interesting trades in NBA

history.

The trade with the Nets just didn't make sense, both in talent lost and salary

cap reasons. The Miami trade was better on the personnel side, but just

terrible in regards to cap room.

Jim Cleamons is a man I feel badly for. This is a man who came from a

great situation in Chicago and appears to be a good coach, then he gets this

mess in Dallas. I'm sure he'll be relieved when Nelson fires him about a

month into the season and names himself or Donn coach. I hope Cleamons

lands in a better situation the next time around.

A lot of folks want to heap the blame for the bad trades on Cleamons. They

blame him for not getting along with Kidd better. I think Cleamons was

spoiled in Chicago. Not from coaching one of the greatest teams of all time,

but from coaching players that were, well, coachable. In some respects, I'm

surprised Cleamons and Nellie don't get along better. Both apparently

believe that players should listen and learn from coaches, not dictate playing

style, time, stats, etc.

I still don't see any direct link to McDavid making the decision to trade away the Big 3. If anything there were problems that management had to deal with but that doesn't mean that McDavid made those decisions. Still a reach in my mind. I don't think we know anything about McDavid until he arrives as owner and starts making decisions.

You have constantly posted fabrications on this board, and you cling to this idea that David McDavid even had the power to break up that Jamal Mashburn, Jason Kidd, Jim Jackson team.

http://hawks.realgm.com/showarticle.php?artid=307

But McDavid, who believed he was to run the team, day in-day out, was quickly locked out of any prominent role with the team by Perot and Zaccanelli, a move that left McDavid feeling frustrated by his place with the franchise and never being allowed to fulfill his vision of what that team should be.

http://www.dallasnews.com/newsletters/emai...r.42945b50.html

David McDavid was a minority owner with a 12.5 percent stake in the Mavericks. Most of the decisions were made by others, which admittedly frustrated McDavid. He never was able to realize his vision for the NBA franchise and has spent the past couple of years looking for the right vehicle to re-enter the sports entertainment business. Presumably, he’s learned from the Mavericks experience and from watching the Stars’ success as a big-market, mega-player in the NHL.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/0503/01mcdavid.html

But before the year was out, the Mavericks traded Jason Kidd to Phoenix, a move McDavid called a mistake.

"I think there was a certain amount of arrogance that we knew what the [censored] we were doing," McDavid told the Dallas Morning News in 1997. "We just made errors."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/0403/30aolnew.html

A one-time minority owner of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks, he reportedly was frustrated by his lack of clout in running that team.

I don't know what else it is going to take other than me taking a shovel and absolutely beating your head in that will make it sink into that pea brain of yours that McDavid had NO SAY in those moves.

Ross Perot Jr. was the majority owner.

Frank Zaccanelli was the team front man.

David McDavid basically contributed $20 million to the cause.

McDavid has repeatedly spoke about the lessons he learned from his time in Dallas. He has stated that he has studied the paradigms put forth by Mark Cuban, Tom Hicks, and Arthur Blank. Tom Hicks is a close personal friend of his and is the owner he will most likely resemble. Hicks has had a lot of success with his hockey team. McDavid has learned how to run a team that is in a major market. Well, Atlanta is a major market.

McDavid is broke, but his autodealerships bring in $500,000 in profit each year.

Friends of McDavid talk about how he wants to bring in a high profile coach (George Karl) that can take the Hawks to the playoffs this year. Hmm. That really sounds like a guy who is going to come in and gut the team.

• Premium Member

We were arrogant and we made mistakes....

I have to believe that he had more to do with the decision making process than just somebody who was locked out.

I think the only time he was really Locked out was when Cuban bought out Perot in 2000 which forced McDavid to sell his shares to Cuban.

"I think there was a certain amount of arrogance that we knew what the [censored] we were doing," McDavid told the Dallas Morning News in 1997. "We just made errors."

KB, there's a difference between an minority owner and a frontman. If you read the article from which this quote arises, you would see that it talks about how McDavid looked forward to running the team. How McDavid represented the team on Draft lottery day.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketbal...3/mavs_sale_ap/

In reply to:

Unlike current owner Ross Perot Jr., Cuban is a basketball fan. Perot admitted when his group paid $125 million for the team less than four years ago that he didn't know how many players each team put on the floor.

So you believe that a guy who knew nothing about Basketball made basketball decisions while his minority partner who is a basketball fanatic was under lock and key. KB, I think you've examined this from McDavid's point of view. Maybe McDavid didn't get to do everything his way..... But I believe his hands were just as red as anyone else's. I don't buy this innocent crap.

• Premium Member

In reply to:

McDavid is broke, but his autodealerships bring in $500,000 in profit each year.

KB, I expected that you would have done your homework.....

McDavid isn't broke yet... But he can't afford the deal.

He sold 70% of his used to be Auto empire for 400 Million.

That's exactly how much the deal would cost. So, he has the money to afford it depending on what else might be eating up his money... NAMELY capital gains taxes and luxury taxes and all other kind of taxes.

ALSO, 500,000 dollar a year in profit? What's that... That amount that JT spends on Socks per year? The Amount that CC spends on Icy Hot per year. Hendu's Eye glass Prescription...

That's a joke KB....

...you take the one quote that supports your argument, yet ignore everything else.

You were never part of a debate team, were you?

In reply to:

But McDavid, who believed he was to run the team, day in-day out, was quickly locked out of any prominent role with the team by Perot and Zaccanelli, a move that left McDavid feeling frustrated by his place with the franchise and never being allowed to fulfill his vision of what that team should be.

So, McDavid was unhappy that he had no input on what went on with the team. Read that back to yourself a couple times...

In reply to:

KB, there's a difference between an minority owner and a frontman. If you read the article from which this quote arises, you would see that it talks about how McDavid looked forward to running the team. How McDavid represented the team on Draft lottery day.

Yes, McDavid became a minority owner of the Mavs thinking that he would have some input with the team. But, that didn't happen. And what does him representing the team at the lottery have to do with anything? 'Nique represented us a year ago at the lottery, and if his opinion mattered to anyone here, we would have drafted my favorite, Aleksandar Pavlovic. [censored], Steve Francis has represented Houston before...

In reply to:

So you believe that a guy who knew nothing about Basketball made basketball decisions while his minority partner who is a basketball fanatic was under lock and key. KB, I think you've examined this from McDavid's point of view. Maybe McDavid didn't get to do everything his way..... But I believe his hands were just as red as anyone else's. I don't buy this innocent crap.

Think about it this way, D. What do you think Perot's goal was with that team? To put a winning team on the floor? Or do make as much money as possible, using the Donald Sterling method? Perot had more power than McDavid, so he got things his way.

Look at denver ...what the [censored] do they have that is so fantastic...andre miller...please...u don't see many top tier FAs jumping ship and going to rebuilding teams...and no....miller is not top tier...I see that utah is just snapping up all the top tier FAs...yeah right...We need keep JT Theo and SAR and do what we can to build around them ...at least find a good coach...to see if this talent can win together...you are talking about blowing up a team that hasn't had a coach with experience....you need to follow soccer...basketball is not your thing.

• Premium Member

You say Miller is not a top tier Free Agent? What does that make JT? There was a bidding war for Miller. He chose Denver. JT has an agent who is fabricated stories about Utah to get people to notice that he is a free agent.

Back to the point though.....

Right now.... Denver has one of the youngest, most interesting teams.

Miller/Becirovic /Mello/Nene/Camby.

and their not through with FAcy yet...

The point is that compared to where they were 2 years ago....

McDyess/Van Exel/Lafrentz/Johnson/Wahad...

They had problems. Now, they ahve a future. ANd it's only been 2 years.