• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marc Stein on the Smoove

khaos7

Quote:

Josh Smith's increasing reluctance to return to the Atlanta Hawks has little to do with Mike Woodson, despite repeated media suggestions that Smith is so eager to play for someone else.

Smith and Woodson are fine, one confidante insists. Smith's frustration with the Hawks is the slow-moving state of negotiations, with Smith apparently still waiting for a serious contract proposal nearly three weeks into free agency.

Not that this is a grand surprise or a quandary exclusive to Smith. The only team in the league with salary-cap space to throw at premier restricteds such as Smith, Charlotte's Emeka Okafor and Chicago's Luol Deng is the Memphis Grizzlies, who have left little doubt that they have no plans to make their money available this summer, preferring to focus on trade possibilities. So the Hawks, Bobcats and Bulls are naturally proceeding slowly and conservatively, figuring that their prized assets have limited leverage.

Which is true. Threatening to sign a one-year qualifying offer that would lead to unrestricted free agency in the summer of 2009 is pretty much the only way Smith can apply pressure on the Hawks now.

Yet I suspect that the sign-and-trade chatter will begin to pick up, maybe in all three cases, with Smith said to be especially eager to move on.

I wonder, for example, if my coaching pal who asked me why the Dallas Mavericks aren't trying to assemble a deal that features former ACC player of the year Josh Howard going to Atlanta in some sort of package for Smith isn't onto something.

Of all the National Media Reports, this one makes the most sense and jives with what Sekou was saying. Smoove ain't mad with the Woody! However, he's tired of seeing this thing drag out and is becoming disgruntled. I still believe he is willing to resign. However, the Hawks are running the risk of alienating him with their little game of poker. Surely, if the Wolves could lock of Al Jefferson, we can lock up Smoove. However, I believe these guys are broke and this is more than just a chess game.

That does make alot of sense. I am afraid the ASG is just not capable of signing him to a market value contract. The bright side is Chicago, Charlotte and Golden State are all moving just as slow with their guys so that may just be the trend this summer.

Quote:

Quote:

Why would ASG go for a SNT instead of just resigning Smoove?

It's stupid to let him hang out there when there's nobody persuing him any more.

They're the ASG is why this is taking so long.

A lot of top RFAs haven't signed deals with their teams. Why should we rush ? It's not like we ever had intentions of making a big splash in the FA market.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's stupid to let him hang out there when there's nobody persuing him any more.

A lot of top RFAs haven't signed deals with their teams. Why should we rush ? It's not like we ever had intentions of making a big splash in the FA market.

I agree. it's hard to blame asg or sund when we don't know what kind of contract numbers are being offered. it would be nice if that kind of information would leak to the press but it rarely does. if Josh and his agent are turning down an 11 - 12 mill a year deal then i have no problem w/ asg holding out. i also think it's a strong possibility that everyone (Okafor, Igudala, Deng, Smith) is waiting for something to happen with the others since they all seem to be around the same value. Let someone else set the market value.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What? Your line of thinking doesn't make sense. Wouldn't the fact that we weren't thinking about having a huge splash on free agency make it more likely for us to lock up our RFA as soon as possible? I mean. What are we waiting for? What FA are we waiting to be freed up? what deal are we waiting to be made?

No team is making Smoove an offer, so why WOULDN'T we make him an offer????

Doesn't make any sense to me

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What? Your line of thinking doesn't make sense. Wouldn't the fact that we weren't thinking about having a huge splash on free agency make it more likely for us to lock up our RFA as soon as possible? I mean. What are we waiting for? What FA are we waiting to be freed up? what deal are we waiting to be made?

Just like the article says, we've got leverage. We could also be waiting on the irresistible S&T offer. The bottom line is Smith isn't going anywhere unless the ASG lets him go. That means, no matter how upset Smith is about how long things are taking or whatever, he will still be a Hawk next year if the ASG desires. We could wait until the middle of the season to offer an extension, theoretically. I'm not a part of the ASG, so I don't fully understand all of their options. However, withholding a contract offer does nothing to hurt the ASG..

Smoove for Howard and Bass? That's a trade I'd strongly consider. You gotta' wonder if Dallas would do that though even with Howard's rep.

Kidd

Terry

Smoove

Dirk

Damp

Bench: Stackhouse/Jones/Barea/Diop

Sign Kwame and Randolph Morris

Bibby

JJ

Howard

Horford

Kwame

Bench: Chillz/Marvin/Law/Bass/ZaZa/Speedy/Morris

That's not a bad team. Of course, you have to think which is better for this team? Smoove or Howard and Bass?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just like the article says, we've got leverage. We could also be waiting on the irresistible S&T offer. The bottom line is Smith isn't going anywhere unless the ASG lets him go. That means, no matter how upset Smith is about how long things are taking or whatever, he will still be a Hawk next year if the ASG desires. We could wait until the middle of the season to offer an extension, theoretically. I'm not a part of the ASG, so I don't fully understand all of their options. However, withholding a contract offer does nothing to hurt the ASG..

It's dangerous to mistreat your own free agents. How many times have Smoove said he wanted to stay? So the way that we compensate his loyalty is by holding out just in case a good SNT comes along? Internally, we should know Smoove's worth. IF Smoove gets too tired of us waiting, he can easily just take the QO. It's not the smartest move, but if he doesn't play "all out".. he can make it to next offseason and leave us with nothing... or force us to trade him for less than his value during the season. Then you know what you'll be saying...."we should have locked him up when we could!"

• Premium Member

Quote:

Smoove for Howard and Bass? That's a trade I'd strongly consider. You gotta' wonder if Dallas would do that though even with Howard's rep.

Kidd

Terry

Smoove

Dirk

Damp

Bench: Stackhouse/Jones/Barea/Diop

Sign Kwame and Randolph Morris

Bibby

JJ

Howard

Horford

Kwame

Bench: Chillz/Marvin/Law/Bass/ZaZa/Speedy/Morris

That's not a bad team. Of course, you have to think which is better for this team? Smoove or Howard and Bass?

IF Howard is your aim, why not Marvin for Howard?

Smoove is worth much more than Howard.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's dangerous to mistreat your own free agents. How many times have Smoove said he wanted to stay? So the way that we compensate his loyalty is by holding out just in case a good SNT comes along? Internally, we should know Smoove's worth. IF Smoove gets too tired of us waiting, he can easily just take the QO. It's not the smartest move, but if he doesn't play "all out".. he can make it to next offseason and leave us with nothing... or force us to trade him for less than his value during the season. Then you know what you'll be saying...."we should have locked him up when we could!"

The chances of Smith taking the QO are the chances of me playing in the NBA (I'm 5'9 150, so you figure it out). Smith is not being "mistreated", he's just being impatient. There are 3 or 4 other RFAs who are almost as good as Smith who haven't received any offers from their teams. Who said Smith was being loyal to the Hawks' organization ? I'm thinking it's just the opposite, after his agent probably spread countless BS rumors to make the Hawks throw an offer at him out of desperation. I'm not worried about Smith going anywhere, and if he does, I'll trust that we will be compensated appropriately.

Quote:

How many times have Smoove said he wanted to stay?

How many times has the ASG said they would match any offer and wanted him back?

The ASG has made at least 1 public offer to Smoove in the past and I'm sure they have made others. Obviously Smith felt he was worth more than that, so they have let him go find out. Maybe there are teams willing to offer him more than the ASG but none of those teams can do it without a SnT. So if Smith really wants to play somewhere else OR is dead set on a huge contract than it's in the Hawks best interest to get the most that they can for him in a SnT.

I honestly think that until 1 of the bigger RFAs sign a deal, that the rest of them will just be waiting around. They should all make roughly the same amount of money so someone has to establish the market. Until that happens we (and Smith is especially included in this) have to be patient.

Leverage or not, its never good to have a reputation as a crappy organization. Especially a group like the ASG where people already think they are poor and cheap.

As far as "why rush?" If we had gotten an idea of how much we'd be paying we could have gone after a guy like Buike' instead of having to fill our shooter/defender on the wing role through FA.