It's official: Childress goes Greek.

DJ_Money

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

This guy just went to every NBA team's blacklist.

If guys like Spreewell could continue to get jobs year after year, I doubt that Childress is going to be blacklisted for taking more money outside the NBA.

Yeah he will.

Mainly because he's the first american to do it. He's going to be out the NBA for a year. His name will go down with names like Coarsely and Jawad Williams. Those guys were good College players but went overseas instead of the NBADL. Imagine how hard it is for them to get a real look.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

No, the ASG isn't at fault in the Childress' situation. They would have been at fault had the offered him $11M/year.

Welp, I guess this solves all those "who's the best SF" and the "how will the ASG afford all of these guys" questions.

Congrats to Josh.

They should have extended last October and never let it come to this.

Quote:

Quote:

This guy just went to every NBA team's blacklist.

If guys like Spreewell could continue to get jobs year after year, I doubt that Childress is going to be blacklisted for taking more money outside the NBA.

Highly doubt that he won't get an offer whenever/if ever he decides to come back. It stings as a Hawks fan, but kudos to Chillz for sticking it to RFAgency. Way to get that money.

He has already proved what he can do here over four years. As long as he continues to work hard overseas there is no reason he couldn't come back.

Money talks, D. That's what the world spins on. That's what you and Stern need to reevaluate going forward. The NBA can't make it on reputation alone.

Look at Childress as a long-term asset; a stock option that will vest down the line.

At least I hope it will...

He "spurned" the NFL for the big money of the USFL and when it was time for him to go to the NFL he had no trouble at all finding work. It sure didn't seem like the Vikings had him blacklisted since they gave up their entire draft for him.

If Childress wants to come back to the NBA someday he won't have any problem doing so.

The problem is that we only have his rights for 2 years and that's only if we extend the QO to him and eat up a good chunk of our cap space, at least that's what I seem to remember reading. So if he plays his contract out we won't have any rights to him when he comes back.

• Premium Member

Quote:

He has already proved what he can do here over four years. As long as he continues to work hard overseas there is no reason he couldn't come back.

Money talks, D. That's what the world spins on. That's what you and Stern need to reevaluate going forward. The NBA can't make it on reputation alone.

Look at Childress as a long-term asset; a stock option that will vest down the line.

At least I hope it will...

More than likely if he blows up over there. He's not coming back. Why come back to make less than 1/2 of what you can make there for a team that didn't respect you when they had you.

More than likely, he's hoping we trade his rights somewhere else.

Quote:

The problem is that we only have his rights for 2 years and that's only if we extend the QO to him and eat up a good chunk of our cap space, at least that's what I seem to remember reading. So if he plays his contract out we won't have any rights to him when he comes back.

I think there is still some confusion about this, which is to be expected as this is a situation without precedent.

Hawkfanatic said in another thread that as long as we continue to extend the QO, he will continue to be restricted, even if he plays out the contract in full. His caphold doesnt count against the LTax, and wont really hurt us anyway because we will be over the cap at least until 2010.

That gives us some time to figure out the best course of action. Our hand may be forced sooner or later, but for now, we have him in a favorable position when/if he decides to come back.

Hard to see him ever playing as a Hawk after this, though.

• Premium Member

Quote:

MrHonline thought that we retained his rfa rights forever.

No, I've read the 2 years number, too.

I honestly don't know this info very well. There's not a whole lot of precedent to go with here.

In fact, I've been reading Larry Coon's thoughts over on RealGM, and he's not even 100% sure...

• Premium Member

Seriously...somebody must have got seriously wronged and put some powerful mojo on us. How many odd/bad luck scenarios can you list for the city of Atlanta?

Bret Farve...

Michael Vick...

The ownership fiascos...

The entirety of the Atlanta Braves...

DerMarr Johnson...

The Atlanta Flames...

Dr. J...

...and many more!

LoL, we're cursed man. Now add Chill and his history making deal to the list.

something.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

LoL, we're cursed man. Now add Chill and his history making deal to the list.

something.gif

Didn't the Clippers just lose Brand? What about Golden state? Didn't they just lose B. Davis. Folks, losing Childress is not on that level but you are acting like it is! This is very strange to say the least.

• Premium Member

Dude...

The only thing that is the same is that those teams lost a player.

Brand is a UFA. B. Diddy is an UFA...they can do what they want. I'm not talking about losing a player. I'm talking about ODD luck. Chills signing with Europe is a bigger story for us than just some UFA's signing with another team. That happens everyday. Hell this is a bigger story for the NBA than just a few FA's moving places.

I'm not a part of the hysteria so, turn your attention elsewhere for that. I'm just pointing out that the oddest things seem to happen to Atlanta Sports. And Chill jumping ship to Europe is not your everyday situation. It qualifies.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Dude...

The only thing that is the same is that those teams lost a player.

Brand is a UFA. B. Diddy is an UFA...

Both had one year left on their contracts so no they weren't ufa. Brand even talked the owner into renouncing his rights to sign B. Davis and then bolted to philly. That is a much bigger story than Childress going to greece.