• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Olympiakos thread 08/09

BigDirty

Now that they have one of our RFAs I think it'll be interesting to see how they play this upcoming season and if Childress can help them win the various competitions. Their roster should look kinda like this:

PG Teodosic/Papaloukas/Milosevic

SG Halperin/Greer/Pelekanos

SF Childress/Vassilopolous

PF Vujcic/Printezis/Erceg

C Boroussis/Schortsianitis/Vougioukas

That's quite a good squad for European standards, especially the 1-3 positions look strong.

In greek league and greek cup competition their strongest opponents should be their main rival Panathinaikos, Aris and Panionios.

Their Euroleague group includes the following teams:

Maccabi Tel Aviv (ISR)

Unicaja Malaga (SPA)

Cibona Zagreb (CRO)

Le Mans (FRA)

Avellino (ITA)

Olympiakos should win their group or at worst finish second.

I know that no one watches them, it's just a thread to give updates on Childress (I guess at least some people don't hate him now and would be interested in how he's doing over there in Greece) like I did with Cenk Akyol for the first half of last season. wink.gif

Quote:

I thought Papaloukas was the starter...

I guess he'll play the same role he played at CSKA and that's coming from the bench but still playing over half of the game, the more important the game the more he'll play. What the top Euro teams seem to do is that they get 8-10 players of nearly the same caliber and play each of them 24-16 minutes, so it becomes totally unimportant who begins the game.

Quote:

BD, who are the primary scorers on that team?

During Euroleague last year their top scorers were Greer (16.3), Marc Jackson (15.1) and Arvydas Macijauskas (14.8, but played in only 12 games), Jackson was released before the playoffs started and Macijauskas left.

In the greek league their top scorers were Jackson (15.7), Greer (12.3) and Bourousis (9).

This year I guess their top scorer will be Greer or Childress followed by Halperim and one of the bigs. But then again in Europe it doesn't really matter who scores the points, in last years Euroleague scoring Top 20 there were 5 players that scored below 13 points a game. Looking at Childress' comments it doesn't seem like they hired him to be the top scorer:

Quote:

"I assumed that I'd have to go average 20, 22 points a game here," he explains. "But the Euroleague MVP most years averages like 12 points, five rebounds, and five assists. It's an award that the guy who actually helps his team win the most wins. ... My coaches here just want me to be versatile, and to play four positions, and to help the team win as many ways as I can."

Quote:

What style offense do they run, and how are their PGs? Passers or scorers (or both)?

Both Teodesic and Papaloukas aren't deadly shooters, they can score when it is needed but their strength is passing and controlling/organizing the game. Papaloukas is the experienced one who's seen and won it all while Teodesic is the young one who's still getting better but can already hold his own at the international level. Since it's a greek team I guess their style will be rather slow and physical, but since they have a lot of new players I'd rather take the wait and see approach before talking about their style.

Thanks for the long and detailed reply.

Josh should do well, then. He'll still be able to catch the ball around the rim, perhaps even more so since he may have more space around that threshold between close and mid-range.

He won't be asked to shoot more than he already does (although I bet he winds up doing so), Greer will carry the team's scoring, and he should match up pretty well athletically with most opponents.

Lynn Greer Rocks!

Found this tidbit interesting, too:

Quote:

If you are an expert in the European lifestyle - I repeat, lifestyle - and not a basketball expert, you can be almost certain that Panathinaikos needs a signing like that, too (BIG rivalry between Olympiacos and Panathinaikos). Too bad Panathiniakos needs a shooting forward. What was that guy’s name from Chicago again? The guy who was looking for a deal? Wasn’t that Luol Deng…?

Don’t be surprised, if that’s the next thing reported on US web sites…

Josh Childress Update: Luol Deng

Hey BigDirty,

Thanks for keeping us updated on the goings on in Europe. I have a quick question for you that I hope you can answer. Here in Australia our local league, the NBL, have limits to the number of players you can have from outside Australia and New Zealand. The limit is 2 or 3 (depending on the team). This is to promote the development of local players. Do these European leagues have something similar, where you can only have a certain number of players from outside Europe??

Cheers

Rick

Depends on the league.

In Germany you have to have 3 Germans on the 12 man gameday roster, they don't have to play though.

In Russia there is a foreigner limit (I think 5 or 6 are allowed to be on the gameday roster) and a certain number of Russians (I believe 2 or 3) always have to be on the court.

Most other leagues (if not all) have some kind of foreigner limit too, but I don't really keep up with it and I don't know if there is still a difference made between European foreigners and non-EU foreigners.

Euroleague doesn't have a non-EU foreigner limit anymore.

Quote:

Depends on the league.

In Germany you have to have 3 Germans on the 12 man gameday roster, they don't have to play though.

In Russia there is a foreigner limit (I think 5 or 6 are allowed to be on the gameday roster) and a certain number of Russians (I believe 2 or 3) always have to be on the court.

Most other leagues (if not all) have some kind of foreigner limit too, but I don't really keep up with it and I don't know if there is still a difference made between European foreigners and non-EU foreigners.

Euroleague doesn't have a non-EU foreigner limit anymore.

Thanks for that mate. I was wondering if this would have an impact on the number of NBAers that would go across, but looking at those numbers it will have minimal impact.

Cheers

Rick

Quote:

Quote:

F*ckem. Don't care what happens to any of them.

that is pretty much your attitude towards the Hawks too. I wonder why you even bother to follow basketball since it irritates you so much.

Yeah whats up with hotlanta always fing this and screwing that not talking about ball just movies and how everything sucks and such??? Whats his purpose here?