• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Did Ellis just set the market for Smoove?

khaos7

Monta Ellis's newly signed contract will pay him $11 million a year. He averaged 20.2 pts and 3.9 assist a game last year. In addition, he averaged 5.0 rebounds 1.53 steals, and 2.14 turnovers. By comparison. Josh Smith averaged 17.2 points per game, 8.2 rebounds, 2.8 blocks, 3.02 turnovers, 3.4 assist and 1.52 steals.

I acknowledge that they play two different positions. However, given their production (I think it's a wash...they are comparable) hasn't the market been set with Ellis's contract? It's not exact math, but lets consider a few things. Monta averages 3 points more than Smoove. However, Smoove averages 3 more rebounds than Ellis. Smith has 3.02 turnovers compared to Ellis's 2.14. However, Smith makes up for some of that with his block numbers. They are both virutually equal in the steals department.

Again, because they play two different positions, I acknowledge it isn't possible to do a direct comparison. However, judging from Ellis's contract, the Spirit have to offer more than the 9.5 they offered Smoove (per reports) otherwise they are just being cheap. Smoove shouldn't have the leverage to demand more than the 11million Ellis just received. Otherwise, he's being greedy.

What do you think?

Quote:

Yep.

Actually, that's the amount many of us on here have been suggesting for weeks. It's time for this to get resolved so that the rest of the bench can be set.

This simple fact that a high profile RFA has signed could put more pressure on teams to sign their own guys. Training camp is just a couple of months away.

Quote:

Quote:

Yep.

Actually, that's the amount many of us on here have been suggesting for weeks. It's time for this to get resolved so that the rest of the bench can be set.

This simple fact that a high profile RFA has signed could put more pressure on teams to sign their own guys. Training camp is just a couple of months away.

It should. The only problem I can see is Smoove sticking to the "Sixers would have offered be 12 mil and the Clips would have offered me 13 mil had it not been for Camby and Brand." The fact the other teams went elsewhere should negate that argument. I think the Spirit has to offer 11 million now, due to Ellis.

That said, from a perception standpoint, they could possibly offer Smith to resolve this issue, in light of the Childress situation.

Bottom line they should get it done. 11 million seems fair to me.

Quote:

Quote:

Yep.

True, we need Smith to start concentrating on basketball now.

Now that the precedent has been set, ASG will just look like jackasses if they push too hard for their 9.5 a year deal.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think Ellis' deal does set the market for Smith.

No reason why they ASG should not get a deal done with Smith soon at the same dollar amount.

We agree. And... just to put everything in perspective, it's worth noting that the reverse sentence is also true: no reason why Smoove and his agents shouldn't get a deal done with ASG soon at the same dollar amount.

(Assuming, of course, Europe has been ruled out. *sigh*)

As part of the Third Party, I say get 'er done, boys (and girls?).

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep.

It should. The only problem I can see is Smoove sticking to the "Sixers would have offered be 12 mil and the Clips would have offered me 13 mil had it not been for Camby and Brand." The fact the other teams went elsewhere should negate that argument. I think the Spirit has to offer 11 million now, due to Ellis.

That said, from a perception standpoint, they could possibly offer Smith to resolve this issue, in light of the Childress situation.

Bottom line they should get it done. 11 million seems fair to me.

Smith deserves 12 million a year. He is worth that. Before this whole process started, probably 95% of this board was in agreement with Smith getting a 5 year 60 million contract. When we knew that Philly could offer 5 years 68 million (almost 13/year), we basically knew we'd match that and were only hoping they wouldn't get further under the cap to offer him upwards of 15 million a year.

Quote:

Smith deserves 12 million a year. He is worth that.

I would be ok with it if he gets $12 million/yr.

But the fact is that he has major holes in his game (poor and frequent outside shooting, turnovers) that have to count against him come contract time.

I think $11 million/yr is a fair compromise.

As far as Philly and the Clipps go it is a given that a team has to overpay for a RFA from another team. You can't lure away a RFA by just offering a fair contract.

Well, Sund/ASG should definitely offer 11 million, so the agent and team are at least on the same page and close to each other. 9.5 million is just disrespectful IMO. Hopefully Smith would take 11, but I'd give him 12 or 13 if we had to. We just can't lose him or we're going to have to start all over again. We really aren't in a position to make him go JJ/PHX on us.

• Premium Member

Quote:

As far as Philly and the Clipps go it is a given that a team has to overpay for a RFA from another team. You can't lure away a RFA by just offering a fair contract.

This is a great 'reality check' statement. Yes, the Ellis contract establishes the parameters so hopefully a contract can get done shortly, along with filling out the rest of the roster.

Quote:

Quote:

9.5 million is just disrespectful IMO.

9.5 is a lowball offer although i wouldn't call it disrespecful. I think it is just part of negotiations. You aren't going to make your final offer up front.

Given the ASG perceived stance has been "let the market bear out", there is no reason for them not to make a new offer, like yesterday. 11 million is the number.

• Premium Member

...and given the history of this franchise, the direction that we want to go in, the fact that we FINALLY have a face that people recognize, and the lift that he has given us, we should have been been one of the first teams, if not THE first team, to sign their high profile RFA.

It should be easy from here on for the Hawks to sign Smoove now that market has been set. In fact the market has been set since Bogut sign his contract. Now that one of the RFA has sign the market is set once again. If this doesn't get ASG back to the table then nothing will. And by back to the table I mean ASAP.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Smith deserves 12 million a year. He is worth that.

I would be ok with it if he gets $12 million/yr.

But the fact is that he has major holes in his game (poor and frequent outside shooting, turnovers) that have to count against him come contract time.

I think $11 million/yr is a fair compromise.

I like the incentive idea that you brought up before. $10 million base with incentives up to $11.5 Million per season

Quote:

Quote:

that's what we've been saying for weeks. 11-12 is the number. time to get it done.

I agree give him 11 or 12 and get this deal done already.

I could justify giving Smoove 12 million. Hear me out on this one. I know he doesn't play the 5. However, he performed a role that, traditionally, a five performs (shot blocking albeit from the weak-side). Given Bogut's new contract and Ellis's, one could argue that although he doesn't play the 5 (their contracts are always more inflated given the need for big men) and he doesn't play Ellis's position, he does things they both do. Tweener is the word we've all used to describe Josh. Therefore, give him a contract between what Bogut and Ellis received: 12 million a year.

I don't know if all of that makes sense. However, I just figure that could be a way his agent could frame an argument in requesting 12 million and perhaps the Hawks could justify honoring the request.

• Premium Member

Quote:

It should be easy from here on for the Hawks to sign Smoove now that market has been set. In fact the market has been set since Bogut sign his contract. Now that one of the RFA has sign the market is set once again. If this doesn't get ASG back to the table then nothing will. And by back to the table I mean ASAP.

Or... just as reasonably... "If this doesn't get Smoove back to the table, then nothing will. And by back to the table I mean ASAP."

Why is this so hard to acknowledge that it's a two-way street? (... and possibly even a three-way, if Smoove is waiting on anything from Europe to fall in his lap).