• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Apple/pc

Swish

It'd help us to help you make a decision if you could tell us what you usually use your computer for. Diesel makes excellent points, I can't argue with them. However, if you're only looking to do basic web design, browse the internet, check your email, and those basic things, you'd be wasting some serious cash by spending it on a Mac. However, it is your money, and I'm not trying to make you do something that you don't want to so it's ultimately up to you, and I hope you understand that. I'm just trying to help you out so you don't end up wasting your money and regretting your decision... but if you really want to buy a Mac, then do it, man. If that's what you want, then that's what you want.

I do some heavy uploading, emailing, browsing, some minor picture sending, etc. Moderate web design and such else involved like that. Oh, and heavy Squawking.

Hey, I asked for help and I've gotten it in grand fashion. I really appreciate this guys-I am spending tonight browsing the net for options. Libid, you use HP? Diesel is down on their laptops....compaq is the same difference I believe.

• Premium Member
It really is a good conversation to have. I have had some issues with PCs and just general slowness. You make a good point that all that stuff comes standard on the mac one reason you pay a little extra for it. So what do you currently have Diesel?

I'm about 70percent macbook (2gb, 2.4 ghz, 160gb) and 30 percent dell (3gb, 250gb, 1.8 ghz) on the decision process right now. The mac processor is massive and comes with bells and whistles. There is a five hundred dollar difference though. :Thinking:

Thanks guys for the advice. Like I said its an interesting topic.

Dell Dimension 2 gb, 2.4ghz, 160gb. I don't have problems with RAM or storage. Just compatibility.

• Premium Member
It'd help us to help you make a decision if you could tell us what you usually use your computer for. Diesel makes excellent points, I can't argue with them. However, if you're only looking to do basic web design, browse the internet, check your email, and those basic things, you'd be wasting some serious cash by spending it on a Mac. However, it is your money, and I'm not trying to make you do something that you don't want to so it's ultimately up to you, and I hope you understand that. I'm just trying to help you out so you don't end up wasting your money and regretting your decision... but if you really want to buy a Mac, then do it, man. If that's what you want, then that's what you want.

I can't tell him not to go for the money. I did it, so it would be hypocritical. However, I just want him to know that everything is extra. That's something you should consider whatever you buy. Mac just makes it possible to get a lot of stuff with their standard package. When they start giving an ipod with every laptop, then I think there will be trouble.

• Premium Member
Sounds like you are more talking about the operating system than the hardware. You can have PC and have a system that never crashes and never gets viruses. PC does not necessarily equal Windows. I use linux on a Dell Latitude and it is just as safe (if not more) from viruses as OSX, and it doesnt crash. Should an application crash, it doesnt bring the whole OS down with it like Windows does. You can just kill the app and the OS will often keep going.

You're right. I have a friend who swear by Linux... and Redhat!!

It's too much relearning for me.

There is one thing I hate about HP computers (both desktops and laptops). They pre-install the most useless junk on your machine, it's crazy. Most of them I'd never even use. Apple, on the other hand, don't stuff their machines with useless pre-installed programs like HP does.

Also, beware of HP laptops. They have the "Vongo Issue" where you'll have to do a bit of work to fix. It's when a program called Vongo always says it's loading on your laptop at start up and heavily lags you.

Anyways, tell us what your final decision is when it comes that time.

There is one thing I hate about HP computers (both desktops and laptops). They pre-install the most useless junk on your machine, it's crazy. Most of them I'd never even use. Apple, on the other hand, don't stuff their machines with useless pre-installed programs like HP does.

Also, beware of HP laptops. They have the "Vongo Issue" where you'll have to do a bit of work to fix. It's when a program called Vongo always says it's loading on your laptop at start up and heavily lags you.

Anyways, tell us what your final decision is when it comes that time.

I read last night that Apple is planning on completely changing their lineup and prices in six months so I am going to get a PC this weekend and an Apple later this year. What do you think of this one guys?

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/compute...b!934947467

Its on sale for 549 right now at Circuit City.

OK guys here is what I have on hold and am picking up tomorrow.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1210982227895

Its actually faster than the Apple technically and exactly half the price. Best Buy has it for 200 less than dell.com

With apple's product revamping next year I will use this and then get the mac. I'm pretty satisfied with this decision. What do y'all think?

It's a good pick, but like I said, you can't really go wrong with an upgrade from your old computer (From what I understand, you have a pretty bad PC right now), and you don't do any extreme graphic/web design or video editting, so it's a pick that makes sense. Just wondering, why couldn't you just keep this post inside your 'Apple/pc' topic?

It's a good pick, but like I said, you can't really go wrong with an upgrade from your old computer (From what I understand, you have a pretty bad PC right now), and you don't do any extreme graphic/web design or video editting, so it's a pick that makes sense. Just wondering, why couldn't you just keep this post inside your 'Apple/pc' topic?

Yeah I am pretty happy with the choice now. I am currently running 512 mb, 1.4 processor with a 40gb hard drive.

I don't know why. I'm wierd like that.

• Premium Member
OK guys here is what I have on hold and am picking up tomorrow.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1210982227895

Its actually faster than the Apple technically and exactly half the price. Best Buy has it for 200 less than dell.com

With apple's product revamping next year I will use this and then get the mac. I'm pretty satisfied with this decision. What do y'all think?

Seems like a good deal!

Let us know how it works out!