• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Randolph Morris Set To Join Hawks

DrReality

Posted: 7/27/2008 3:12:00 PM

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

There hasn’t been a whole lot of chatter about Randolph Morris since he made an appearance at the Hawks’ mini-camp at Philips Arena.

But several of my spies contend that he’s set to join the Hawks’ roster for this upcoming season (on a two-year, minimum deal that would allow the Hawks to bolster their frontcourt rotation significantly).

This would also be a splendid opportunity for Morris to dig in and make his status in the NBA permanent (not necessarily with the Hawks but just in the general sense) by proving that he’s a legitimate big man.

And the opportunity to play behind Al Horford and perhaps Zaza Pachulia should provide ample opportunity for Morris to make his case.

There hasn’t been a whole lot of chatter about Randolph Morris since he made an appearance at the Hawks’ mini-camp at Philips Arena.

But several of my spies contend that he’s set to join the Hawks’ roster for this upcoming season (on a two-year, minimum deal that would allow the Hawks to bolster their frontcourt rotation significantly).

This would also be a splendid opportunity for Morris to dig in and make his status in the NBA permanent (not necessarily with the Hawks but just in the general sense) by proving that he’s a legitimate big man.

And the opportunity to play behind Al Horford and perhaps Zaza Pachulia should provide ample opportunity for Morris to make his case.

This was a rumor from a few days ago, I don't think this is set in stone yet.

• Premium Member

Morris is not that good! Hopefully its for the Vet minimum. I would prefer Ratliff over Morris

From RealGM:

Hawks sign Randolph Morris

by fo_o_fo_404 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:51 pm

According to a VERY reliable source I ran into today at Philips Arena, the Hawks have signed free agent Randolph Morris to a two year minimum deal today.

This is a decent signing....but we should all be concerned with the direction this "Josh Smith signing" is heading!

But nonetheless, the signing of Morris will give Horford the freedom to play at his normal position for once.SWATS 366!

fo_o_fo_404

Junior

Bolster the front court significantly? lol

I'd say we add Kwame. The talk around him seem to have been very quiet since he came to Atlanta for a workout. I know the Lakers want him back. Why does he want to go back to the West and to the place where the fans booed him anytime they got?

Also, if I remember correctly, when Morris and Brown worked out, Brown was impressing everybody and was back to work out the next day.

He may be too expensive though.

I'd look into Robert Tractor Traylor as a 12th man big man for us. He is huge, wants to play, and I believe did O.K. in Cavs summer league. Plus he is a bit older and had some nice seasons with the Hornets back with D Wesley, Baron, and Mash

• Premium Member
I just can't get too excited by this. I said on the realgm board, but Morris has some of the worst footwork I've ever seen. He is just SO slow.

And I'll say the same thing I did over on RealGM. :)

For a 3rd (perhaps 4th) center, Morris is fine on a minimum contract. He'll be making less money than Solomon Jones.

• Moderators

Good stuff. Morris is a better guy to bet on than resigning a washed up vet like Lo Wright or Ratliff. He isn't great but he could provide some useful minutes for Atlanta when we can use some inside scoring. Plus, I'll always root for a former UK guy!

And I'll say the same thing I did over on RealGM. :)

For a 3rd (perhaps 4th) center, Morris is fine on a minimum contract. He'll be making less money than Solomon Jones.

I didn't say it wasn't a good signing. I just said I can't get excited about it. :D

• Premium Member
Good stuff. Morris is a better guy to bet on than resigning a washed up vet like Lo Wright or Ratliff.

That washed up vet Ratliff numbers were much better than Randolph Morris last year

16.7 41-85 .482 0-1 .000 29-43 .674 1.2 2.2 3.4 .27 1.46 .81 2.27 0.5 4.3

VS

10.1 21-58 .362 0-0 .000 14-29 .483 0.7 1.4 2.1 .22 .11 .50 2.06 0.1 3.1

By the way that 1.46 block shots per game was in 16 minutes per game.

Its a great signing. We get a young center at the leauge minimun. Hes back home and was in a horrible situation with the Knicks. In no way am i thrilled about this but it gives us an option off the bench that we did not have last year. At worst he lets Al and Smoove (pending) rest for roughly 10 mins a game. And when we play the Suns we got one more man to hack-a-shaq.

Its a great signing. We get a young center at the leauge minimun. Hes back home and was in a horrible situation with the Knicks. In no way am i thrilled about this but it gives us an option off the bench that we did not have last year. At worst he lets Al and Smoove (pending) rest for roughly 10 mins a game. And when we play the Suns we got one more man to hack-a-shaq.

Forget the Suns!

We need him for Orlando.

He has had little chance to play since he's been in the league. HE was stuck on the NY bench and has not developed. If he works, he has some upside.

How is Randolph Morris any better than Solomon Jones? And Solomon hasn't player for two years. Good grief, this is just the ASG filling out the roster at a cheap price. Morris is to slow. What a waste.

Hawk88