• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

At Age 26 Who Will Be Better

foeteen14

This is similar to that debate.

People wanna replace the current starter with a potential replacement. People looking at the faults of Smoove(Vick) and none of the positives. Didn't realize the value of Smoove(Vick) he until his surgery(injury). People placed blame on Vick(Smoove) for the passing woes(Offensive production). People called Vick(Smoove) and athlete playing QB(tweener).......Etc Etc Etc....

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are the one harping on scoring efficiency and fg% is a weak measure of scoring efficiency because it doesn't take into account 3s and free throws.

Steve Nash shot 50% from the field just like Horford but his TS% is 11% higher than Horford. Horford is 26th among centers in TS%.

if you are looking at real ppg Smith punks Horford so i don't know why you are mentioning that.

Who spent the most time wasting the shot clock standing around with the ball with his man 5 feet off him? Who created more offense for the team other than JJ?

You also can't wipe away Horford's non-scorers mentality which Horford showed in college and this past season. You have to shoot to score and too often Horford is afraid to shoot.

And the whole point in my reasoning is Smoove has leveled out and Horford will continue to grow as a scorer and rebounder. You think Smoove willl grow more, I do not. I think Horford will grow and it appears you do not. Only time will tell; but I like my odds better...

Just please understand this: not wanting Smoove to improve is radically different from not thinking he will improve. I would love to see Smoove go 20/8/and 3 sometime (sooner the better) during his career; but I do not think that is logical at all....

And the whole point in my reasoning is Smoove has leveled out and Horford will continue to grow as a scorer and rebounder. You think Smoove willl grow more, I do not. I think Horford will grow and it appears you do not.

So you think Smith has leveled out at 22? That makes sense. he is only 7 months older than Horford.

There are some things that can't be learned. Horford isn't going to learn Smiths 40" vertical. Smith already has the take charge mentality to be a great player, he just lacks some skills and an acceptance of his limitations. Horford lacks the mentality and the skills.

It is only logical that both will improve. But Smith is better now and will probably stay that way.

Edited by exodus

During Playoffs vs. Celtics

Al Horfords

MIN FG PCT 3P PCT FT PCT STL BLK TO PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS

Totals 277 34-72 .472 0-0 .000 20-27 .741 3 7 15 26 22 51 73 25 88

Averages 39.6 4.9-10.3 0.0-0.0 2.9-3.9 0.43 1.0 2.14 3.7 3.1 7.3 10.4 3.6 12.6

Josh Smith's

Totals 237 35-88 .398 3-18 .167 37-44 .841 12 20 26 26 7 38 45 20 110

Averages 33.9 5.0-12.6 0.4-2.6 5.3-6.3 1.71 2.9 3.71 3.7 1.0 5.4 6.4 2.9 15.7

What i noticed is that mainly al was more efficient, had more assists, more rebounds, less blocks, but only 3 less points. If al could get this type of production while being the 4th option during the Playoffs imagine what he could do being the second option. I admit that josh smith is the better player now, but in the future im posotive that horford will be better...

People wanna replace the current starter with a potential replacement. People looking at the faults of Smoove(Vick) and none of the positives. Didn't realize the value of Smoove(Vick) he until his surgery(injury). People placed blame on Vick(Smoove) for the passing woes(Offensive production). People called Vick(Smoove) and athlete playing QB(tweener).......Etc Etc Etc....

I always thought as Vick goes, so go the Falcons. I do not think that about Smoove. Smoove can have a bad game and we can still win. Vick had a bad game and we were shut out. I got to see Vicks career game live against the Bengals three seasons ago. You should have heard the fans up here busting on Vick that season.

Their biggest gripe was "it figures Vick would have his career game against us"....those poor poor Bungal fans. I really do feel sorry for them. Even when they have the 3rd or 4th best offense in the game, they still cannot make the playoffs. It really is like Indy not being able to make the playoffs, if you can imagine that.....

Edited by jamesdcrockett

During Playoffs vs. Celtics

Al Horfords

Totals 277 34-72 .472 0-0 .000 20-27 .741 3 7 15 26 22 51 73 25 88

Averages 39.6 4.9-10.3 0.0-0.0 2.9-3.9 0.43 1.0 2.14 3.7 3.1 7.3 10.4 3.6 12.6

Josh Smith's

Totals 237 35-88 .398 3-18 .167 37-44 .841 12 20 26 26 7 38 45 20 110

Averages 33.9 5.0-12.6 0.4-2.6 5.3-6.3 1.71 2.9 3.71 3.7 1.0 5.4 6.4 2.9 15.7

What i noticed is that mainly al was more efficient, had more assists, more rebounds, less blocks, but only 3 less points. If al could get this type of production while being the 4th option during the Playoffs imagine what he could do being the second option. I admit that josh smith is the better player now, but in the future im posotive that horford will be better...

The Bos defense was intent on stopping 2 players, when they could stop them, they won and when they couldn't we won. Smith had some absolutely MASSIVE games that pushed us towards wins and his defensive presence was unreal.

When you think about the playoffs and those wins, who comes to mind? JJ and Smith (and Zaza).

I always thought as Vick goes, so go the Falcons. I do not think that about Smoove. Smoove can have a bad game and we can still win. Vick had a bad game and we were shut out. I got to see Vicks career game live against the Bengals three seasons ago. You should have heard the fans up here busting on Vick that season.

Their biggest gripe was "it figures Vick would have his career game against us"....those poor poor Bungal fans. I really do feel sorry for them. Even when they have the 3rd or 4th best offense in the game, they still cannot make the playoffs. It really is like Indy not being able to make the playoffs, if you can imagine that.....

I don't think Smoove has the impact of Vick, yet...that'll agree. But I'm talking about the debate amongst the fans...involving him

Not to turn this into a Vick thread....but he was the reason I bought NFL Sunday ticket. I'm not even a Falcons fan....but he was/is the most incredible athlete I've seen in football. I know many others, who did the same. He was a draw, I must say. I used turn the game, when the Falcons defense took the field. Amazing player...and to this day, I think he's underrated. I saw 95% of his games. It's people who never watch him play, that have the most complaints. I know his stats weren't the best...but he's the one case, where I say, stats lie....

Now, back to arguing! Just kidding..

You take snapshots, to prove who may be better in the future?

Horford's NBA career is a snap shot in comparison to Smooves. Horford started his better; now lets see who is right about who finishes theirs better....Maybe we get lucky and they both finish well.

The Bos defense was intent on stopping 2 players, when they could stop them, they won and when they couldn't we won. Smith had some absolutely MASSIVE games that pushed us towards wins and his defensive presence was unreal.

When you think about the playoffs and those wins, who comes to mind? JJ and Smith (and Zaza).

Yes and when they lose who do you think off?

I don't know about Horf's Offense getting any better. He just seems a little awkward and uncomfortable when posting up. he does have a solid 15 footer.

I think Horf's closer to peaking than Josh is right now. His athleticism can take him up another level. Horf on the other hand just seems REALLY SOLID nothing spectacular though. Not like the Malones or Duncans or even Boozers. Maybe a little better than Horace Grant with better Rebounding and D.

Josh Smith is an incredible player with faults. He could be great or he could max out without ever developing into the player Hawks' fans want him to be. One thing about potential is it ain't definite. Josh Smith has been playing in the NBA for 4 years, and he just has some flaws in his game that might not ever improve (see Shaq's FT shooting). Right now, he is a very good player and it wouldn't take much work for him to bee All Star material. However, to say Smith'll get better just because he's 22 isn't accurate. With all that said, I hope he stops trying to force jumpshots and trying to force himself to be something he isn't. Like I've said in another post, the only thing holding Smith back is himself. If Smith plays within himself, and embraces what (I believe) his teammates and coaches need him to do, he'll be an All Star Reserve next year.

Al Horford has done a lot as a rookie. Trying to compare Al Horford to Smith just because they are the same age is ridiculous. 4 years of professional ball >>>>> 3 years of college and 1 profession year. Al Horford does what is asked of him, and tries to play his role within the team. Al could have averaged 12 or 13 points if he was given more opportunities. Also, 10 points a game for a rookie is not bad. Also, Horford isn't timid. He took his fair share of open shots, but when you already have players who've been with the franchise for years, you're not going to come in and become a major part of the offense. Unless you're a rookie like LeBron, Carmelo, or KD.

Bottom line is..some of you guys are not thinking clearly.

Nah. You've got to call the hotline. No COD. Hurry now, and we'll include a free lint brush. That's a $1000 dollars of value, for only 5 easy payments of..ok, so maybe I'm taking it a little bit too far.

When has Smoove ever carried us anywhere, hell JJ can't even come close to equaling Vick impact. That would be like Lebron or something, not anyone on the Hawks. Vick was a athlete playing QB no surprise. But Smith is a tweener who isn't that good. KG and Dirk would be better comparision to Vick's impact. It's not even close to even discuss the two in the same sentence.

u all do know that smith is going to have several several seasons where he goes for 50 several times. players that come straight out of high school or (now) 1 year of college and put up numbers in their first few years tend to continue to get much better as they get older. you just have to wait for that light to come on. i believe it will happen for smith in the next couple of years. he wants to be great, and has the talent to be, so most likely he will be.

u all do know that smith is going to have several several seasons where he goes for 50 several times. players that come straight out of high school or (now) 1 year of college and put up numbers in their first few years tend to continue to get much better as they get older. you just have to wait for that light to come on. i believe it will happen for smith in the next couple of years. he wants to be great, and has the talent to be, so most likely he will be.

Wow, i dont believe that thats ever going to happen, people that go for 50 are offensivly gifted and smith is not one of them. You need to think more clearly and stop dancing on smiths nut's.