• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ASG/Belkin battle

DChawk

• Premium Member
Any one see this article?

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/printedi.../14/spirit.html

Interesting for a couple of reasons:

Belkin accused Levenson of tampering w/ another teams players which would have cost us our 1st round pick for 5 years in a row!!

ASG has lost a total of 44 mil on the Hawks and Thrashers combined in the previous 3 years.

Tampering and contract issues with JJ???

Belkin accused Levenson of tampering w/ another teams players which would have cost us our 1st round pick for 5 years in a row!!

ASG has lost a total of 44 mil on the Hawks and Thrashers combined in the previous 3 years.

It had to be JJ because they didn't draft a pg knowing that he was coming here so they went with Marvin in the draft because he was the best talent available for. Things are slowly coming together.

If that doesn't prove that Belkin has no interest in the Hawks as a team then I don't what will. Belkin was willing to cost the team 5 first round picks over an internal dispute. This is like a p-offed Alabama booster turning in all other Alabama boosters for recruiting violations. He may get some revenge, but the football team gets killed.

Second, was Belkin already lining up other partners in Bird and the Texas oil/windmill guy?

It will be a good day when this mess is finally over.

Tampering and contract issues with JJ???

There is no way we could have KNOWN JJ was coming here for sure. Even if we knew he would sign an offer sheet with us we could not have know whether or not Phoenix would match. Also Sekou has written that are 1st priority that summer was Ray Allen.

The tampering charges had to be 100% FALSE. We all know if there was even an inkling of wrong doing like say Levenson asking an nba player under contract if he like red and white sneakers, STERN WOULD HAVE LAID THE HAMMER ON THE HAWKS. We all know Stern loves laying the HAMMER ON THE HAWKS.

It had to be JJ because they didn't draft a pg knowing that he was coming here so they went with Marvin in the draft because he was the best talent available for. Things are slowly coming together.

That is ridiculous. Even during the free agency negotiating period there wasn't a hint in early july that JJ would come here.

It was only after Hughes signed with the Cavs and Redd resigned with the Bucks that JJ showed any interest in us. JJ's other options dried up.

• Premium Member
The tampering charges had to be 100% FALSE. We all know if there was even an inkling of wrong doing like say Levenson asking an nba player under contract if he like red and white sneakers, STERN WOULD HAVE LAID THE HAMMER ON THE HAWKS. We all know Stern loves laying the HAMMER ON THE HAWKS.

I'm probably the last person to be rising to question someone's questioning of David Stern's integrity... but... I must have missed that memo, and fail to see how Stern has shown any greater or lesser inclination to "lay the hammer" on the Hawks than any other non-NY/CHI/LA franchise.

His integrity problems have been, at their root, brought on by his marketing myopia, and no particular bias against ATL.

Maybe you're referring to the perrenial ownership problems this franchise has dealt with since Turner sold out to Time Warner (?). Certainly, it would have been nice to have a less volatile situation on that front, demanding less of his time. But I don't see that as being motivation foir a Commissioner to be on a mission to make that franchise hurt even more than they already do. ATL isn't a large market, but it's also not a small one... a healthy and competitive ATL organization would require less of his concern and would be better to his revenues.

THE STORY SO FAR

>Summer 2005: Hawks-Thrashers part-owner Steve Belkin's opposition to the Hawks' trade for guard Joe Johnson triggered a controversy that led to Belkin's agreement to sell out to his fellow owners.

>Summer 2006: A Maryland circuit court judge ruled that Belkin's fellow owners breached the contract to buy him out —- and that he was entitled to buy them out instead.

>Summer 2007: A Maryland appellate court overturned the circuit judge's rulings.

>Summer 2008: The owners are preparing for trial, scheduled to begin Feb. 17.

Something tells me this will not be over for a while. Man I hate this.

I'm probably the last person to be rising to question someone's questioning of David Stern's integrity... but... I must have missed that memo, and fail to see how Stern has shown any greater or lesser inclination to "lay the hammer" on the Hawks than any other non-NY/CHI/LA franchise.

His integrity problems have been, at their root, brought on by his marketing myopia, and no particular bias against ATL.

Maybe you're referring to the perrenial ownership problems this franchise has dealt with since Turner sold out to Time Warner (?). Certainly, it would have been nice to have a less volatile situation on that front, demanding less of his time. But I don't see that as being motivation foir a Commissioner to be on a mission to make that franchise hurt even more than they already do. ATL isn't a large market, but it's also not a small one... a healthy and competitive ATL organization would require less of his concern and would be better to his revenues.

I swear he actually took a win away from us and made us replay part of a game. This was like the 1st time it happened in almost 30 years.

I also dont remember KG getting suspended for shoving a ref. Edited by NJHAWK

If that doesn't prove that Belkin has no interest in the Hawks as a team then I don't what will. Belkin was willing to cost the team 5 first round picks over an internal dispute. This is like a p-offed Alabama booster turning in all other Alabama boosters for recruiting violations. He may get some revenge, but the football team gets killed.

Right on point frosgrim. As if there wasn't already enough evidence proving Belkin's disposition towards the Hawks, this shows unequivocally that Belkin views our Birds as a business asset, nothing more. For all of you whiners about the dysfunctional "owner-by-committee," approach, just wait and see what happens when a tyrant dictator is in power.

And that's what a Belkin is - a tyrant, by definition. He tried a hostile takeover of the franchise. Case closed.

• Premium Member
I also dont remember KG getting suspended for shoving a ref.

My bad... I should have included BOS as a major market... the point still holds. I think we generally agree that Stern protects the franchises he deems to be the money generators. In any other business, that would only be being smart... in this business, it is a serious blow to his integrity. I'm just amazed that the man has gotten away with as much as he has. But again, I don't take it personal... it's a philosophical thing, and it could have been almost any other lesser-marketable team than BOS, and the same thing would have occurred.

ATL isn't a large market, but it's also not a small one... a healthy and competitive ATL organization would require less of his concern and would be better to his revenues.

Atlanta is the #8 market in the U.S. by population and in the top 3 of NBA viewership. Screwing Altanta makes no sense, but it certainly does seem to happen.

• Premium Member
Something tells me this will not be over for a while. Man I hate this.

I agree. There is nothing available that shows this will be short term. You know tha lawyers are raking in the cash over this deal. I have a personal friend that is a judge and it would blow your mind about the legal system. Talk about oil driving everything? The abuse of the legal system definitely has something to do with everything.

• Premium Member
Right on point frosgrim. As if there wasn't already enough evidence proving Belkin's disposition towards the Hawks, this shows unequivocally that Belkin views our Birds as a business asset, nothing more. For all of you whiners about the dysfunctional "owner-by-committee," approach, just wait and see what happens when a tyrant dictator is in power.

And that's what a Belkin is - a tyrant, by definition. He tried a hostile takeover of the franchise. Case closed.

It couldn't be no worse than the clowns that are in charge now and the ineptness on their part.

It couldn't be no worse than the clowns that are in charge now and the ineptness on their part.

You think so? While I dont fully endorse ASG and their management to this point, its hard to make any case at all for Belkin. It could be much, much, much worse than it is.

My bad... I should have included BOS as a major market... the point still holds. I think we generally agree that Stern protects the franchises he deems to be the money generators. In any other business, that would only be being smart... in this business, it is a serious blow to his integrity. I'm just amazed that the man has gotten away with as much as he has. But again, I don't take it personal... it's a philosophical thing, and it could have been almost any other lesser-marketable team than BOS, and the same thing would have occurred.

How about when he made us replay the end of the Miami game? That hasnt happened in years and never under Stern. Yet he picks the HAWKS TO STICK IT TO.