• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Most boring olypic sport

DrReality

The swimming! I know that guy is winning a shyyt load of medals but I mean come on how many times can you watch people swim back and forth in a pool? Do they really need like 20 different distance races and different ways to swim? Wouldnt one race across the pool and back be enough to settle who is the fastest? LMFAO

Edited by NJHAWK

The swimming! I know that guy is winning a shyyt load of medals but I mean come on how many times can you watch people swim back and forth in a pool? Do they really need like 20 different distance races and different ways to swim? Wouldnt one race across the pool and back be enough to settle who is the fastest? LMFAO

While you're at it, why not only allow bunting in baseball, dunking in basketball, and qb draws in football? I'm no swimmer and really could care less about it outside of the amazing feet that Phelps just accomplished, but to not realize why they have different styles, distances, etc. seems a bit shortsighted to me.

Doesn't change the fact that it's boring.

It may be boring to you but obviously you are in the minority based on how much coverage Phelps has gotten. I would be that a lot more people are tuning in to watch the swimming races than watching the track races. Do you consider the track races to be boring? I mean all they do is run in a circle, what's so exciting about that?

While you're at it, why not only allow bunting in baseball, dunking in basketball, and qb draws in football? I'm no swimmer and really could care less about it outside of the amazing feet that Phelps just accomplished, but to not realize why they have different styles, distances, etc. seems a bit shortsighted to me.

That would be like playing olympic basketball for 10 or 15 different gold medals based on games played on different sized courts and differant heights on the rim and basket. Its pretty friggin stupid if you ask me.

The Equestrian events were boring, and the synchronized everything (diving & Swimming) was putting me to sleep as well

Since you mentioned it . . . . . when the Olypics were here we went to the Equestrian events, where they have their horses go through all these different walking forward, backward, sideways, etc. It was so boring, I was actually glad when a thunderstorm came up and rained it out. I had seen enough in no time at all.

It may be boring to you but obviously you are in the minority based on how much coverage Phelps has gotten. I would be that a lot more people are tuning in to watch the swimming races than watching the track races. Do you consider the track races to be boring? I mean all they do is run in a circle, what's so exciting about that?

Yes I do consider track races to be boring. Also, the only reason Phelps is getting this much coverage is because he's making Olympic history. 8 and 12 years ago, swimming got very little attention in the grand scheme of things.

Yes I do consider track races to be boring. Also, the only reason Phelps is getting this much coverage is because he's making Olympic history. 8 and 12 years ago, swimming got very little attention in the grand scheme of things.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Swimming has been one of the biggest events in the games since their inception. Your example, puts us back in the Atlanta games, and those games had very high ratings for swimming.

Its fine that you don't like swimming, but to say that its a non-watched sport is patently wrong.

In terms of boring, yeah the dressage is pretty boring, unless you are a horse person. For those who are into horses, its a very "exciting" event. The great thing about the games is that these "fringe" sports get there moments. If it inspires a kid to go out and do it, then that is a good thing. Let me put it another way, unless you understand the sport, watching an event is usually pretty boring. Once one understands the actions required to be at the Olympic level, then I think the appreciation of the sport really increases.

I for one really got into watching the team pursuit (cycling event). That was really cool to watch. I tend to be more into the out door cycling, but that was fun.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Swimming has been one of the biggest events in the games since their inception. Your example, puts us back in the Atlanta games, and those games had very high ratings for swimming.

Its fine that you don't like swimming, but to say that its a non-watched sport is patently wrong.

In terms of boring, yeah the dressage is pretty boring, unless you are a horse person. For those who are into horses, its a very "exciting" event. The great thing about the games is that these "fringe" sports get there moments. If it inspires a kid to go out and do it, then that is a good thing. Let me put it another way, unless you understand the sport, watching an event is usually pretty boring. Once one understands the actions required to be at the Olympic level, then I think the appreciation of the sport really increases.

I for one really got into watching the team pursuit (cycling event). That was really cool to watch. I tend to be more into the out door cycling, but that was fun.

Swimming wasn't a big event when you compared it to Basketball, Gymnastics, and Track. It's big event, but it didn't get the attention it's getting now until Michael Phelps came around. You say swimming had very high ratings, eh ? Care to prove it ?

You probably can't prove it, because that was 12 years ago. That was the last time it was, according to you, highly rated before Michael Phelps. Here's a better question. Can you name, without looking it up, a few popular male olympic swimmers from the past 12 years ?

Even though I don't watch track, I still know of a few names because the sports were just that popular.

Track: Michael Johnson, Maurice Green, and (then now infamous) Marion Jones.

I definitely didn't watch male or female Gymnastics, but I still know a few names.

Gymnastics: Those twin caucasian boys, I think their last names were Hamm or something.. Dominique (forget her last name).

What's my point ? Because swimming didn't get as much attention as you imply, I have absolutely no knowledge of who's a popular swimmer besides Michael Phelps and that old lady (whose name I also forgot).

Swimming is the most widely watched sport at the Olympics in Australia. We get smashed with non-stop swimming coverage here. I do find it fairly boring though, especially the long distance events.

Looking forward to the Boomers taking on the USA in the bball tonight! GO the Aussies!

I have absolutely no knowledge of who's a popular swimmer besides Michael Phelps and that old lady (whose name I also forgot).

Shame on you for calling her "that old lady" ... it's Dara Torres! You must be pretty young if you think this looks like an "old lady". LOL

0711-a-conversation-1956.preview.jpg

Swimming wasn't a big event when you compared it to Basketball, Gymnastics, and Track. It's big event, but it didn't get the attention it's getting now until Michael Phelps came around. You say swimming had very high ratings, eh ? Care to prove it ?

Swimming has been huge in the US for many Olympics, it's just that individual swimming has been more popular this year because of Michael Phelps. I'm not a swimming fan, I mean I don't mind watching it, but I don't watch it outside of the Olympics but people have been watching our men's teams dominate the team swimming events for at least the past 4-5 Olympics.

For a while diving was pretty popular and I think back in 92 Greg Louganis was the poster boy for the McDonalds games (along with the Dream Team of course).