• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks signing Dalibor Bagaric?

DrReality

by Gordon on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:35 am

If he passes medical test next week, Hawks will sign 7-foot-1 center Dalibor Bagaric to a one-year guaranteed contract. Bagaric was former first round pick of Chicago Bulls, but was out of the league once his rookie contract expired. He has gained experience playing in Europe since then, but it is highly questionable what he can bring to the team.

Bagaric is typical center, with great height, good wingspan and strong body. He is slow footed and below average athlete overall. Has some moves on the low block, but is mechanical and stiff in his movements. He can do a good job on the glass and is solid post up defender, but his lack of quickness gets exposed in screen&roll game.

Bagaric had back problems throughout his career, which decreased his durability. He is also quite foul-prone.

What do you guys know about him? If it is true.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

by Gordon on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:35 am

If he passes medical test next week, Hawks will sign 7-foot-1 center Dalibor Bagaric to a one-year guaranteed contract. Bagaric was former first round pick of Chicago Bulls, but was out of the league once his rookie contract expired. He has gained experience playing in Europe since then, but it is highly questionable what he can bring to the team.

Bagaric is typical center, with great height, good wingspan and strong body. He is slow footed and below average athlete overall. Has some moves on the low block, but is mechanical and stiff in his movements. He can do a good job on the glass and is solid post up defender, but his lack of quickness gets exposed in screen&roll game.

Bagaric had back problems throughout his career, which decreased his durability. He is also quite foul-prone.

What do you guys know about him? If it is true.

Here is a little artice from FIBA Europe.

Dalibor Bagaric

Career: Karlovac (Croatia-A-2, 1996-97), Benston Zagreb (Croatia-A-1, 1997-98), Cibona Zagreb (Croatia-A-1, 98-1999), Benston Zagreb (Croatia-A-1, 1999-2000), Chicago Bulls (NBA, 2000-03), Olimpiakos Pyraeus (Greece-ESAKE, 2003-04), Fortitudo Bologna (Italy-Lega, 2004-06), Akasvayu Girona (Spain-ACB, 2006-07). Selected in the first round (#24) of the 2000 NBA draft by the Chicago Bulls

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Born and raised in Germany, Dalibor moved to Croatia when he was 14 and started playing basketball. The Munich native was the only player born in 1980 on the U18 team that won the European Championship in 1996. After playing for the youth Cibona team, he was lent to Karlovac and then to the second division with Benston Zagreb. Bagaric went back to Benston in the fall of 1999 where he averaged 18.3 points and 10.3 rebounds per game, a performance which led to the Chicago Bulls selecting him with the 24th pick of the 2000 NBA Draft. It was probably a little soon for the move and he spent most of his three seasons in Chicago sitting on the bench. So he signed with Olimpiakos in search for some playing time and later signed with Fortitudo Bologna and today he is a totally new player, a true center who is very good on offense, a solid defender and rebounder and has a soft touch. Last summer, he almost decided to go back to the NBA and sign with the Grizzlies, but some financial issues forced him to sign with Girona. Not a bad choice considering Bagaric helped Girona to EuroCup title.

http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj...erID_22177.html

I guess he's a flyer-type player, but the Hawks seem to have a lot of those:

Morris

Hunter

Gardner

Solo

That said, if Bagaric has learned to play center and has improved his post offense, he's a guy that the Hawks can use. Another rebounder doesn't hurt either.

I am not surprised that Sund went out and got another center considering his recent track record.

I am still concerned about the PF position. I suppose Morris may now be seen as that big PF that the Hawks need while Brogaric is that classic center type.

Depth chart (//indicates swing player):

PG: Bibby/Law/Claxton//Murray

SG: JJ/Murray//Evans//Gardner

SF: MW//Evans//Smith//Gardner

PF: Smith//Horford//MW//Morris//Hunter//Solo

C: Horford/Zaza/Bragaric//Morris

That's 15 players by my count. Most likely 3 inactive on any night:

Gardner

Claxton

Solo

It also looks like the bench is OK. Definately better on pixels than last year. The question is will Woodson play more than Murray, Evans and Zaza?

I guess he's a flyer-type player, but the Hawks seem to have a lot of those:

Morris

Hunter

Gardner

Solo

That said, if Bagaric has learned to play center and has improved his post offense, he's a guy that the Hawks can use. Another rebounder doesn't hurt either.

I am not surprised that Sund went out and got another center considering his recent track record.

I am still concerned about the PF position. I suppose Morris may now be seen as that big PF that the Hawks need while Brogaric is that classic center type.

Depth chart (//indicates swing player):

PG: Bibby/Law/Claxton//Murray

SG: JJ/Murray//Evans//Gardner

SF: MW//Evans//Smith//Gardner

PF: Smith//Horford//MW//Morris//Hunter//Solo

C: Horford/Zaza/Bragaric//Morris

That's 15 players by my count. Most likely 3 inactive on any night:

Gardner

Claxton

Solo

It also looks like the bench is OK. Definately better on pixels than last year. The question is will Woodson play more than Murray, Evans and Zaza?

The bench looked good pn paper this time last season too: Law/Salim/Childress/Shelden/Zaza. But we know how that turned out.

• Premium Member
Did you see him play any? Sounds like a role player to muscle up to bit opposing centers.

At best. I don't like this signing, but since I have absolutely NO expectations for success for Dalibor, at least I can't be disappointed.

• Premium Member

Watch him attack Bargnani:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

:nono:

Edited by ifthenwouldi

• Premium Member
Wow..A backup euro center who has already been a bust in the NBA..Not too impressed by this.

Same here, but in defense of eternal optimism -

He's a legit 7 footer (7'1 according to some sites) with a strong base and long arms. Reportedly, his game has improved, and he's a solid post defender. He'd be one of the bigger guys in the NBA from day one.

Also, can he be worse than a Lo Wright or Jake Voskuhl?

Same here, but in defense of eternal optimism -

He's a legit 7 footer (7'1 according to some sites) with a strong base and long arms. Reportedly, his game has improved, and he's a solid post defender. He'd be one of the bigger guys in the NBA from day one.

Also, can he be worse than a Lo Wright or Jake Voskuhl?

I guess he can't be worse than those guys. I really thought we needed a backup 4 with a little beef.

Watch him attack Bargnani:

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

:nono:

I guess that means he'll instantly be hated by Walter since that's W's boy he took down.