Diesel touches a new subject on the board....

Diesel

Which would you rather have.  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

I have been thinking about how this offseason played out. It makes me wonder about the future and about the past. However, now is the only time the follow question could be asked:

Using Hindsight... which would you rather have.

1. Bibby.

or

2. Shelden and about 12 Million dollars in capspace.

I will save dieselputer commentary until later, but I think this is an interesting question indeed.

• Premium Member

Easily Bibby, because Smith and Childress' cap holds would've held the Hawks hostage even with the $12M.

I'm curious to see if the Kings pick up Shelden's option for next season at ~$4M. That's a lot of dough for their, what, 4th string crappy PF.

• Premium Member
Easily Bibby, because Smith and Childress' cap holds would've held the Hawks hostage even with the $12M.

I'm curious to see if the Kings pick up Shelden's option for next season at ~$4M. That's a lot of dough for their, what, 4th string crappy PF.

I think having the money would have forced management into a faster sign of both guys. With CHillz starting at 5 and Smoove starting at 8, I think we would have still had some money (Little) under the cap after the signings.

• Premium Member
I think we would have still had some money (Little) under the cap after the signings.

Nah, they'd still just have the MLE + BAE.

And knowing that they're not in danger of the luxury tax would probably have only slowed Sund down even more...

• Premium Member
Nah, they'd still just have the MLE + BAE.

And knowing that they're not in danger of the luxury tax would probably have only slowed Sund down even more...

Isn't it true that without Chillz and Smoove's caphold that we were under the salary cap?

Well, assuming a quick sign of CHillz and Smoove (~13), we would have had the same amount (about 4-5 Million) under the salary cap plus... MLE + BAE.

• Premium Member
Isn't it true that without Chillz and Smoove's caphold that we were under the salary cap?

Well, assuming a quick sign of CHillz and Smoove (~13), we would have had the same amount (about 4-5 Million) under the salary cap plus... MLE + BAE.

Well, I don't think you get Childress+Smith for anything less than $16M starting.

Plus, the MLE + BAE count against the cap, pushing the Hawks over the cap...

So, basically, it's Bibby vs. Shelden. And I think that's an easy call for just about everybody on the board...

Well, I don't think you get Childress+Smith for anything less than $16M starting.

Plus, the MLE + BAE count against the cap, pushing the Hawks over the cap...

So, basically, it's Bibby vs. Shelden. And I think that's an easy call for just about everybody on the board...

You guys just confuse me with all the cap space cap hold talk.

But I think Bibby is more important to this team!

If he is healthy we will have a dangerous team with exciting starters and a good bench that's isn't paying the lux tax!

I have been thinking about how this offseason played out. It makes me wonder about the future and about the past. However, now is the only time the follow question could be asked:

1. Bibby.

or

I will save dieselputer commentary until later, but I think this is an interesting question indeed.

This is one of the better post I have seen.

It was a tough FA year and i don't think we would have done any better, particularly at PG. He's a keeper at least until the trading deadline.

Jose Calderon was out there, he's better than Bibby but with the capholds plus Shel's contract, don't know if we would have any money to offer Jose the 7 (or so) he gets for the first season.

Of course a SnT could work but we didn't have the leverage and the Raps were high on Jose.

1. Bibby.

or

Under close examination, and afar, it is easy. Bibby. The Playoffs, the thrill in the Phil, the prospects of more this season. Besides, it ain't my money.

Good question. Asked the way you did, I'd take Bibby, he's better than Shelden and we probably wouldn't have done anything more than resign Lue with the money. Bibby's also might get us something good in a trade, if not, it's freed up after this year.

But if you really think about it like someone paying out salaries, Bibby is only worth about half of what he's paid. That's a lot of wasted money. If I were an owner, I think I'd rather have Shelden and the money.

• Premium Member

1. Bibby.

or

I'll take Bibby anyday

Bibby all day along.

1. Sheldon is a scrub.

2. Bibby is a legit starting NBA PG.

3. Bibby only has one year left on his deal making him a valuable trade commodity if Law can step up.

4. Hawks get $15 mill salary cap space in 2009 when Bibby's contract runs out after getting 1.5 seasons out of him.

So if you voted for the $12 mill in cap space then ask yourself this:

Which is better ?

Option A: $12 mill in cap space this year with Shelden on the team.

or

Option B: Bibby's $15 mill expiring contract could be traded for a guy in a much bigger pool of players then just the available free agents in this years market.

or

Option C: Keep Bibby throught the season and have $15 mill in cap space in 2009.

I'll take B & C all day long !

• Premium Member
Bibby all day along.

1. Sheldon is a scrub.

2. Bibby is a legit starting NBA PG.

3. Bibby only has one year left on his deal making him a valuable trade commodity if Law can step up.

4. Hawks get $15 mill salary cap space in 2009 when Bibby's contract runs out after getting 1.5 seasons out of him.

So if you voted for the $12 mill in cap space then ask yourself this:

Which is better ?

Option A: $12 mill in cap space this year with Shelden on the team.

or

Option B: Bibby's $15 mill expiring contract could be traded for a guy in a much bigger pool of players then just the available free agents in this years market.

or

Option C: Keep Bibby throught the season and have $15 mill in cap space in 2009.

I'll take B & C all day long !

I think you have to ask another question though.

What's the likelihood that we will trade Bibby for another player?

Bibby will not be extended and unless it's for another ending contract, I doubt these owners will be willing to sign Bibby for another player or players. I'm not suggesting that Shelden is anything special. I'm just recognizing the strain that Bibs put on our salaries and asking is it worth it.