• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do you believe?-- New Sekou

Swish

Having chronicled this team for the past four years and seen them grow from a 13-win outfit to the 37-win crew that finished this past season in that Game 7 loss in Boston, I’m automatically giving the Hawks some credit for just natural progression.

Nothing in their makeup suggests they’re going to go backwards. Nothing about their core group and the work ethic of that group leads me to believe that they’re about level off and stop growing and maturing as individual talents, and in turn as a group.

But in the absence of any empirical evidence that they’ll simply be better because that’s what teams do when they are allowed to grow together without significant interruption, I’m doing what I always suggest folks shouldn’t when it comes to expectations.

So the burning question I’m left with this morning is the same one fans of every team find themselves contemplating in the dog days before the start of training camp (or spring training or what have you):

Do you believe?

click

It's just going to be tough with our backup bigs being so terrible, unless Morris steps up which I doubt. When Smith or Horford get into foul trouble, we're screwed. And, they will a lot, because most bigs tend to foul a lot, and Horford and Smith have shown that they are no exception. I see us around 40 wins this season.

We definitely could regress if we lose JJ, less so if we lost Horford, and probably even less if we lost Smoove. Otherwise I think for the next 3-4 yrs our core will solidly get us to a 3rd to 8th seed with 5th and 6th being most common. That will be a nice improvement but IMO we still need a player good enough for us to consider benching one of our current players if we are to really challenge. Preferably that player would be a center. Actually even a guard would work and if needed we could start JJ at SF.

It's just going to be tough with our backup bigs being so terrible, unless Morris steps up which I doubt. When Smith or Horford get into foul trouble, we're screwed. And, they will a lot, because most bigs tend to foul a lot, and Horford and Smith have shown that they are no exception. I see us around 40 wins this season.

Yeah the problem is that even if Zaza returns to form, he's a terrible terrible terrible defender. Probably hurts us as much defensively as having Marv as our backup PF like last season. Zaza is a poor D rebounder and a non-existant shotblocker who doesn't do other stuff, like switch out on the perimeter or lock his man down, to compensate. That means that our frontcourt would ideally have Zaza and a guy who can play D backing up Josh and Al.

MrH is probably right about the first round exit but we could have a 10 game regular season improvement and still be the underdogs in the first round.

Yeah the problem is that even if Zaza returns to form, he's a terrible terrible terrible defender. Probably hurts us as much defensively as having Marv as our backup PF like last season. Zaza is a poor D rebounder and a non-existant shotblocker who doesn't do other stuff, like switch out on the perimeter or lock his man down, to compensate. That means that our frontcourt would ideally have Zaza and a guy who can play D backing up Josh and Al.

MrH is probably right about the first round exit but we could have a 10 game regular season improvement and still be the underdogs in the first round.

I think it is all about attitude with Zaza. If he accepts his role as the hustling, banging, physical first big man off the bench behind Horford and Smoove, I think he can be a very important part of the team. I think his down performance last year was more about him being upset that he never got a real chance to regain his starting role after he got hurt than it was about his lack of ability. Woody commented on it after the season saying that Zaza needed to accept his role. If he does that, I think he could be a solid 9/7 to 10/8 guy off the bench.

• Premium Member

As the only beat reporter for the Hawks Sekou has to do better than this. Do you believe is a very elementary rhetorical question that is probably going to be answered Yes by 50% of the readership. The same 50% would have said yes going into the 13 win season and the seasons in between 13 and 37. Then there's the same contingent of non-believers. I'd say about 40%. We could have won 71 games last season and that contingent would still not believe. So Sekou is putting up a question for the 10% who are undecided?? Come on Sekou, you can do better.

Hell, talk about Mario West... the hometown guy trying to stay with the team. Talk about Flip... I haven't heard much about Flip and don't know him. Talk about what Joe Johnson has done with his summer. Even if it's just play playstation and ride around in his gas guzzler. Ask Zaza about what's going on in his homeland now that the US has thrown them 5 Billion dollars?

In other words, Sekou, you can do better. As an insider... This is poor. Call somebody.

Tell us what's going on with the ownership squabble. Tell us about Hawks marketing to the common fan. Are prices going up or down. Talk about prospects in next year's draft.

Come on Sekou, You can do better.

Do you believe?

Really???

Do you believe???

Come on Sekou... give us something about the Hawks!!

I am hoping that Smooth will make a difference and Morris actually surprises us. Playing in his hometown along side a friend and a home grown rival has to account for something. If MOrris can't be motivated by his current situation, he never will be. Smooth is claiming he wants to be a team leader....he should start with Morris, as it will pay the biggest dividends for the team, seeming we need a solid backup big.

I'm optimistic! Surprise!

Hated to see Chills leave. Even more, hated to see him go for nothing.

Marvin won't be in the lineup for opening night. Hate that, but he's serving that one game suspension from last season's playoff game.

Hawks didn't make any big, earth shaking moves. We don't know how the new guys will fit with the roster from last season. We still have the same head coach. We don't yet know, do we, who all the assistant coaches will be. Some old assistants are gone. Some really don't like Woodson, but the players seem to be satisfied with him. They are the real people that has to be happy or unhappy with the head coach.

Why the optimism?

Five starters returning from last season. Experience. Young vets. Woodson has another year's experience, too. I expect improvement from all players and Woodson. I know it's a "Wait and see" as to how the new guys will work out and fit in, but I gotta believe that they will be just fine.

:biggrin:

I'm optimistic! Surprise!

Hated to see Chills leave. Even more, hated to see him go for nothing.

Marvin won't be in the lineup for opening night. Hate that, but he's serving that one game suspension from last season's playoff game.

Hawks didn't make any big, earth shaking moves. We don't know how the new guys will fit with the roster from last season. We still have the same head coach. We don't yet know, do we, who all the assistant coaches will be. Some old assistants are gone. Some really don't like Woodson, but the players seem to be satisfied with him. They are the real people that has to be happy or unhappy with the head coach.

Why the optimism?

Five starters returning from last season. Experience. Young vets. Woodson has another year's experience, too. I expect improvement from all players and Woodson. I know it's a "Wait and see" as to how the new guys will work out and fit in, but I gotta believe that they will be just fine.

:biggrin:

I think you are right. A lot of players have come out of college after 3 or 4 seasons and then taken 3 or 4 seasons to hit their prime in the pros. Three of our starters would be graduating from college if they had stayed/gone this season so its tough believe that any of them are done developing. Swapping Chil with Evans/Flip certainly downgrades us on talent but it helps us with versatility. I think we still have some holes to fill even if Acie develops into a player but I have a hard time believing that we aren't a more talented team than last season.

As the only beat reporter for the Hawks Sekou has to do better than this. Do you believe is a very elementary rhetorical question that is probably going to be answered Yes by 50% of the readership. The same 50% would have said yes going into the 13 win season and the seasons in between 13 and 37. Then there's the same contingent of non-believers. I'd say about 40%. We could have won 71 games last season and that contingent would still not believe. So Sekou is putting up a question for the 10% who are undecided?? Come on Sekou, you can do better.

Hell, talk about Mario West... the hometown guy trying to stay with the team. Talk about Flip... I haven't heard much about Flip and don't know him. Talk about what Joe Johnson has done with his summer. Even if it's just play playstation and ride around in his gas guzzler. Ask Zaza about what's going on in his homeland now that the US has thrown them 5 Billion dollars?

In other words, Sekou, you can do better. As an insider... This is poor. Call somebody.

Tell us what's going on with the ownership squabble. Tell us about Hawks marketing to the common fan. Are prices going up or down. Talk about prospects in next year's draft.

Do you believe?

Really???

Do you believe???

I'm glad someone else notices. This guy has zero talent as a writer and his opinions are worthless. He seems to know very little about the game. He really is a crappy blogger that has a column. Is this his first gig working for a big market paper? Where did he come from really? He seems to have kept a job because no one reads the paper, and when they do, they generally don't read about the Hawks. There is no pressure on him to be a good writer.

You would be a much better read than Sekou, Diesel. You are, in fact.

doesn't seem like Sekou's heart is in it. Mabe he pines to go back to Mich? or maybe it's his new girlfriend? Other than the interview he did with Smoove I can't remember the last good piece he did. Guess it is the offseason . . . . . but maybe it has more to do with the addiction of H? Needing our fix on what's up with the Hawks.

Do you believe?

Really???

Do you believe???

Well D if you look around, the newspaper business is in a downdrive. They are not spending as they have in the past. Several writers/reporters have been axed or given additional responsibilities(at AJC). Sekou probably can't chase guys around the country and are waiting for them to get back to Atlanta. Knowing Sekou's style he probably has two-three articles in the fridge to space his efforts. Camp starts in three weeks most guys kickin it for the last 7-10 days of their summer. Cut the guy some slack.

Edited by Swatguy

I'm glad someone else notices. This guy has zero talent as a writer and his opinions are worthless. He seems to know very little about the game. He really is a crappy blogger that has a column. Is this his first gig working for a big market paper? Where did he come from really? He seems to have kept a job because no one reads the paper, and when they do, they generally don't read about the Hawks. There is no pressure on him to be a good writer.

You would be a much better read than Sekou, Diesel. You are, in fact.

Troy, name some of the NBA beat writers you like right now so I can see what's good.

• Premium Member
Troy, name some of the NBA beat writers you like right now so I can see what's good.

I'll swing...

Ailene Voisin

Check out the Sacbee Blog

SacBee...

Her and this new guy Sam Amick does a good job of covering the Kings. She used to be an assistant Beat Reporter for the Hawks... until Denberg got jealous (I guess).

I'll swing...

Ailene Voisin

Check out the Sacbee Blog

SacBee...

Her and this new guy Sam Amick does a good job of covering the Kings. She used to be an assistant Beat Reporter for the Hawks... until Denberg got jealous (I guess).

Thanks for throwing something out there. Definitely a different style than Sekou. Instead of waiting for something to happen and putting up a long blog, they post every couple of days and just mention anything whether it is or isn't relevant. On a tangent note, the Sacto Bee NBA coverage is pretty weak. Doesn't seem like they have too much information written by their beat writer on there.

Not sure if I'd prefer Sekou's blog style or their blog style more. Sekou's is also a lot more personal, he shows his emotions and shares his opinions. They seem a little hesitant to do any analysis. I do like the lack of spelling errors, SS could learn something from that.

That being said, its certainly not more informative on the non-superficial issues (Reef went to Africa!!!) and they seem less inclined to criticize an organization that has been perhaps worse than the Hawks over the past few years than Sekou is about ASG which is something that he often gets criticized by some for (and ironically he is also criticized for siding with the players against management very often).

So yeah, thanks for putting it out there. Not a more in-depth blog but certainly a more frequent and grammatically correct one without the insight into the writer's lives if that is something that bothers you about Sekou.

That being said, I'm still waitng for Troy who has a problem with everything SS has ever written but has never once responded to my request for a referral to someone better.

Edited by crimedog