• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons

DrReality

So now we are criticizing the rookie because he can't throw 70 yard bombs every play? The fact of the matter is... with whatever arm strength you fellas' may not think he has (I don't know what film you guys are looking at, but I think he has more than enough arm strength for this offense), he makes up with amazing leadership, quick reads, and a very quick release. The kid is just as smart as they get in terms of rookie quarterbacks. I'm pretty sure Matt Ryan has more Football IQ and already knows more about defensive schemes and types of defenses compared to 50% of the league's quarterbacks.

Just saying there are times he should definitely zip the ball in instead of loop it in. That could be arm strength, but possibly footwork and mechanics breaking down as well. I said it, BURN the WITCH! BURN! haha

Im just saying, hes not zipping passes around (i guess hes got the touch Vick never had?) that i would describe as having a strong arm. Actually i think hes been doing better than expected, never said he was bad so dont everyone overreact :p

Edited by hussamga

So now we are criticizing the rookie because he can't throw 70 yard bombs every play? The fact of the matter is... with whatever arm strength you fellas' may not think he has (I don't know what film you guys are looking at, but I think he has more than enough arm strength for this offense), he makes up with amazing leadership, quick reads, and a very quick release. The kid is just as smart as they get in terms of rookie quarterbacks. I'm pretty sure Matt Ryan has more Football IQ and already knows more about defensive schemes and types of defenses compared to 50% of the league's quarterbacks.

It's not even about throwing a 70 yard bomb. It's about getting the ball in tight spots and putting more velocity on his throws. He just hasn't shown he can do that yet. I'm not taking anything away from Matt Ryan's other abilities, but it highly unrealistic to say he has a strong arm. Especially when all his picks are from either underthrown balls or passes he didn't put enough "zip" on. Just like the pass that got picked off in the endzone. Even though he hesitated, if he would have put more on it, instead of underthrowing it, it still would have been a TD.

He has to put it up there to let his guy run under it?

Heard him interviewed and he said while he was trying to get the play from the bench some of his teammates were making noise. He told them to shut up so he could hear the play. Said that was the first time he did that with the guys older than him Stepping up.

He said he also bought a stereo for the locker room that went over well with the vets.

Just saying there are times he should definitely zip the ball in instead of loop it in. That could be arm strength, but possibly footwork and mechanics breaking down as well. I said it, BURN the WITCH! BURN! haha

Im just saying, hes not zipping passes around (i guess hes got the touch Vick never had?) that i would describe as having a strong arm. Actually i think hes been doing better than expected, never said he was bad so dont everyone overreact :p

The receivers couldn't catch if Ryan threw zip passes (ala Vick). Most of the drops were from hard throwing passes.

He has to put it up there to let his guy run under it?

Heard him interviewed and he said while he was trying to get the play from the bench some of his teammates were making noise. He told them to shut up so he could hear the play. Said that was the first time he did that with the guys older than him Stepping up.

He said he also bought a stereo for the locker room that went over well with the vets.

Yep, about the stereo: He heard Lawyer Milloy say soemthing about it being great to have a better sound system in the locker room, and he went out and bought a $10,000 stereo system for the locker room.

The receivers couldn't catch if Ryan threw zip passes (ala Vick). Most of the drops were from hard throwing passes.

You said a mouthful there. There may be things for him to work on, but give me a break!!!! He's played four games and what he is doing is working. The part of his game that I'm impressed with is how he adjusts mentally.

i like ryan and i want the falcons to do good but it gets on my nerves when somebody has to come and bash vick or bring his name up everytime ryan has a good game.

If you are referring to the DeerPark post, maybe I'm missing something but I took that to be more of an indictment of the receivers than Vick. I loved Vick as a Falcon and as a QB, but the man threw a screen pass with the same zip as a 20-yard out route.

To me, though, it doesn't matter how hard it's coming in. If you are a professional receiver and the ball hits you in the hands, you catch it. End of story. That year (2006, i think) we went 8-8 the Falcons must have lead the league in drops. I remember Roddy was one of the worst with the dropsies. The only guy Vick could trust was Crump. Let's also not forget that just a week before versus Carolina guys were dropping balls all over the field.

Edited by jhay610

Exactly as Jhay said, you dont hear people talk about Marino or Elway had a problem cause their passes were too fast...the falcon receivers just really sucked with dropped passes.

Add Brett Favre to that list...and he's playing in Lambeau, where the arctic weather makes the ball feel like a rock coming in.

Add Brett Favre to that list...and he's playing in Lambeau, where the arctic weather makes the ball feel like a rock coming in.

Right before the opening weekend I heard the ESPN football crew talking about a receiver who said that Brett was famous for tearing the webbing in his WRs fingers because he threw the ball so hard. I know that Elway used to break a lot of fingers. Marino didn't throw the ball as hard as those guys but he was great about getting the ball out extremely quick and before the WR had made their break so the ball would "sneak" up on them and he broke many WR's fingers because of it.

BTW, dolfan, what do you think about the Fins so far this year? I'm recanting part of my argument on Ronnie Brown right now especially after Barber has laid two straight eggs and Brown is en fuego.

I haven't been this excited about the Dolphins in a long time ... at least not excited after seeing them play. I said going into the year that they'd win 7-9 games and I still believe that will be the case.

Yep Ronnie is averaging 5 yards per carry and is tied for the league lead in TDs and he's back to looking like he did last year before the injury. He was just running over and through the Chargers in the 4th quarter of Sunday's game when their D was desperate to get the ball back.

As an aside, I completely wanted Glenn Dorsey in the draft but I am thrilled with what Ryan has done so far. He is exceeding my expectations.

It's certainly too easy to say who will be the better pro, but a good QB has far more value than a good DT and right now Ryan is certainly exceeding my expectations and I'm sure many Falcons fans.

• Moderators
It's certainly too easy to say who will be the better pro, but a good QB has far more value than a good DT and right now Ryan is certainly exceeding my expectations and I'm sure many Falcons fans.

There is no question that a legit franchise QB is worth more than a DT, and I didn't think Ryan could be that guy based on his high interceptions against moderate competition at BC. He will have much rougher moments I am sure, but he looks very mature and more capable of managing games than I would have thought.

There is no question that a legit franchise QB is worth more than a DT, and I didn't think Ryan could be that guy based on his high interceptions against moderate competition at BC. He will have much rougher moments I am sure, but he looks very mature and more capable of managing games than I would have thought.

Agreed! And while I think Ryan has a bright future, I'd still prefer for the Dolphins to take Jake Long since they lucked into Chad Henne (and Chad Pennington) later on.

I think the OC has done a good job bringing him along at a good pace. heard an interview where for the second game? he had 8 or 11 audibles that he could check off. I think they have not expected too much of him and he seems to be grasping it well and being able to manage the offense.