• Raised $390 of $700 target

HAWKS VS HORNETS

tonegully

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And if we win, it will be an upset. im even nervous about this game and its in NO. I have duty that day so that God for League Pass Broadband

we will be playing on the road against a top 5, possible top 3 team in the league. I just hope we dont come out flat like we have been or else it will be a long nite...I just hope we play our best and keep it respectable..I think we can hang with anybody in the league so I wont be surprised if we won but we have to play a damn near perfect game

we will be playing on the road against a top 5, possible top 3 team in the league. I just hope we dont come out flat like we have been or else it will be a long nite...I just hope we play our best and keep it respectable..I think we can hang with anybody in the league so I wont be surprised if we won but we have to play a damn near perfect game

Yeah thats why i said if we win it will be an upset. Lets Go HAWKS. i picked us to lose this one, but i want us to win so bad.

Are Peja and Chandler playing ?

Chandler missed the 2nd game with a bad ankle (I think it was his ankle)

Peja left the 2nd game early and was limping pretty bad on a sprained ankle. Normally those ankles swell up pretty bad over night if you can't walk them out right away.

The injury report will be very interesting.

If Chandler is playing its yet another tough match up for Horford at C to get some post offense going and the Hornets, with Paul, are tought to out run.

That could be 3 allstar centers, in a row, that Horford has to deal with. He is one heck of a fighter though.

The deciding factor may be Posey on JJ. Can JJ have a big game with Posey in his face all night ? Sure he can, but will he ?

Edited by coachx

Are Peja and Chandler playing ?

Chandler missed the 2nd game with a bad ankle (I think it was his ankle)

Peja left the 2nd game early and was limping pretty bad on a sprained ankle. Normally those ankles swell up pretty bad over night if you can't walk them out right away.

The injury report will be very interesting.

If Chandler is playing its yet another tough match up for Horford at C to get some post offense going and the Hornets, with Paul, are tought to out run.

That could be 3 allstar centers, in a row, that Horford has to deal with. He is one heck of a fighter though.

The deciding factor may be Posey on JJ. Can JJ have a big game with Posey in his face all night ? Sure he can, but will he ?

I believe they were listed as day to day for their last game and sat out so i am assuming both will play against us.

I am not worried at all about Posey's defense on JJ.

Through their first few games the Hornets have been very different than last season, a lot more running and a lot worse D. That could be the Chandler effect thoughl.

The key to beating them is going to be how we defend Chris Paul. Gotta hope that Smith can be really disciplined in when he provides help because Paul is either gonna go for 40 while Bibby sags 10 feet off of him or he's going to get by Bibby like he's not even there.

Hypothetically, the Hawks team D is built for something like this. A quick C who can switch out on guards and forwards without being too much of a liability, an ultra long combo on the wings, and a versatile roamer who can block shots and pick off passes. They haven't been able to do it consistently though because of the focus and the weak bench.

I actually think we match up with them pretty well, except for Paul who's basically shredded the Hawks everytime he's played them so far. If we find some sort of way to stop him, and the guys do their job on their position, there's a damn good shot that the Hawks could come out of N.O. tomorrow with a win.

I hope it happens. Starting off 3-0 with victories over 3 playoff caliber teams would be amazing.

From Hawks.com blog.

Bibby vs Paul A Great Match-Up

Permalink Posted by: Micah Hart at 5:13PM EST on November 4, 2008

Did everybody vote today? I got it out of the way this morning, and it really wasn't so bad to be honest. We waited about 35 minutes in line - about what I've done in the past - so I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Anyway, congrats to everyone who did for doing your civic duty.

Let's get back to basketball, shall we? An interesting game for the Hawks tomorrow night in New Orleans, where they will take on a Hornets team that is undefeated and with a point guard (Chris Paul, I believe you have heard of him) who just won Player of the Week honors for the Western Conference. The Hawks have a point guard of their own of some reputation in Mike Bibby, and I am excited to see the two of them go head-to-head.

The talk in the locker room yesterday was about the difference Bibby made in Saturday night's win over the Sixers, specifically his calming presence on the team when things were going poorly early on. I asked him about that after practice, and he said what you'd expect to hear from a guy who's been in the league ten years - namely, that no lead is safe, and if you can just chip and chip away at something, you never know what can happen.

This kind of leadership, more than many things, is what I think can make the difference between the Hawks last season and this year.

In other news, as Peachtree Hoops points out, the Hawks-Bulls match-up on Nov. 11 is up for election to be the featured game on NBATV that night. What say we stuff the ballots and turn that dream into a reality. I realize those of us living in the Atlanta area will be able to watch that game on SportSouth no matter what, but if we are going to get multiple players into All-Star Weekend in Phoenix this season, we'll need the team to get some more exposure than they've had in the past. So Jam the Vote!

• Premium Member
That was good for a laugh.

Not so fast Ex. Bibby has been playing pretty well these first two games. I know Bibby's defense vs. Paul's offense is a severe mismatch, but Paul can't exactly lay off of Bibby on the offensive end either. I say we need to work that guard to guard screen that teams have no answer for. The opposing team always tends to double JJ off of those screens, leaving Bibby wide open. Say what you want about the guy but he is a deadly shooter/scorer in those situations.

• Premium Member
So far Bibby is averaging 15.5 ppg and 4 assists shooting 35%.

Paul is averaging 21.7 ppg and 12 assists shooting 50%.

It certainly is a great matchup...... for the Hornets.

But you can't just look at the stats here. I went to that Hawks-Sixers game and Bibby pretty much kept us in it while our overall offense stalled. He also has been THE player that has stretched the floor, making it harder for opposing teams to concentrate on Joe. You're compare Bibby to Paul straight up, but that's not my point. Paul is the best PG in the NBA, period. I'm just saying that things may not be as one sided as you may think.

• Premium Member

It will surely be a test. Honestly, I just want to see them be competitive. I hate seeing them come out flat, start shooting jumpers, then get blown out.

Sad as it sounds...I'm hoping for a win, but I'd settle for a competitive L.

Tough sledding for Horford. First game against Howard, second against Brand/Dalembert. This might be the easiest match-up yet, and Chandler was the No. 1 alternate for the US national team.

Hawks need to play this one inside out, and get Horford involved on the offensive end. Hopefully they can get the Hornets' frontcourt in some foul trouble and then just they'll just have to weather whatever Chris Paul does.

So far this season, Joe has been D-ing up the opposing teams point guards while Bibby plays the shooting guard. I wonder if we will see this tonight.

Joe on Paul and Bibby on Mo Pete.

I knew that they did that against the Magic but I didn't notice that against the Sixers. I thought that Bibby was d'ing up on Miller throughout the game but I'll admit I only paid attention to it a few times. I was too concerned with Thad continually being open outside.