• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If the Hawks continue to play this well...

mrhonline

• Premium Member

...Sund has to consider trading the first round pick with something else (Zaza, Claxton, etc.) to bring in a role-playing big. I've not given any great thought to 'what's out there,' but if that pick is going to be in the 20's, you might get more value by trading it.

...Sund has to consider trading the first round pick with something else (Zaza, Claxton, etc.) to bring in a role-playing big. I've not given any great thought to 'what's out there,' but if that pick is going to be in the 20's, you might get more value by trading it.

We can't trade our first rounder this season since we didn't have a pick last year.

Is Bob Sura still playing? He would be a nice pickup.

• Premium Member
We can't trade our first rounder this season since we didn't have a pick last year.

It's my understanding that, once the draft comes and goes, the slate is wiped clean.

So, I do believe the Hawks can trade their pick...

(And I'm too tired to look it up).

I would hate to trade away our picks this year. Alot of the key contributors on playoff teams have come from late first round picks.

I would love to see us snag Luke Harrangody from Notre Dame or AJ Abrams from Texas...<br><br>

Both are deadly snipers that know how to lead their team... I think Abrams, with some seasoning could be Bibby 2.0

I'd always thought what Ex' said is the case but you may be right.

Hypothetically, if we can trade the pick, I'd need to see a little more from Acie or get a better feel for the point guard market this coming summer. We'll have two needs this off season and my thought is that it's harder to find a starting point guard than it is to find a backup big man - the starting point guard also being more important to the team.

It also depends on the backup big man we could find on the market. A guy like Foster or Pryz might be worth it but rebounding/shotblocking bigs like Jerome James or Cole Aldrich might be better than some of guys out there... then again, they might just be Solo Jones which is the risk of the draft I guess.

I don't know. I'd pull the trigger for one of the two guys I mentioned probably, but other than that I'd need to see some proposals.

I'd always thought what Ex' said is the case but you may be right.

Hypothetically, if we can trade the pick, I'd need to see a little more from Acie or get a better feel for the point guard market this coming summer. We'll have two needs this off season and my thought is that it's harder to find a starting point guard than it is to find a backup big man - the starting point guard also being more important to the team.

It also depends on the backup big man we could find on the market. A guy like Foster or Pryz might be worth it but rebounding/shotblocking bigs like Jerome James or Cole Aldrich might be better than some of guys out there... then again, they might just be Solo Jones which is the risk of the draft I guess.

I don't know. I'd pull the trigger for one of the two guys I mentioned probably, but other than that I'd need to see some proposals.

Foster, yes! I think he would fit in nicely here.

• Premium Member
It's my understanding that, once the draft comes and goes, the slate is wiped clean.

So, I do believe the Hawks can trade their pick...

(And I'm too tired to look it up).

No need. i don't think it's correct. The Cleveland rule is that a team cannot trade their 1st round picks in consecutive years.

• Premium Member
No need. i don't think it's correct. The Cleveland rule is that a team cannot trade their 1st round picks in consecutive years.

LOL

Larry Coon FAQ

In addition, teams are restricted from trading away future first round draft picks in consecutive years. This is called the "Ted Stepien Rule." Stepien owned the Cavs from 1980-83, and made a series of bad trades that cost the Cavs several years' first round picks. As a result of Stepien's ineptitude, teams are now prevented from making trades which might leave them without a future first-round draft pick in consecutive years.

This rule applies only to future first round picks. For example, if this is the 2005-06 season, then teams can trade their 2006 first round pick without regard to whether they had a 2005 pick, since their 2005 pick is no longer a future pick. But they can't trade away both their 2006 and 2007 picks, since both are future picks. Teams sometimes work around this rule by trading first round picks in alternate years.

The Hawks can trade their 1st round pick.

LOL

Larry Coon FAQ

The Hawks can trade their 1st round pick.

That certainly opens up some possibilities. I am not sure what role playing big would be worth that pick + a player though. Did you have anyone in mind?

The only one that springs to mind for me is Varejao but i think the Cavs can do better if they are willing to trade him.

• Premium Member
Did you have anyone in mind?

The only one that springs to mind for me is Varejao but i think the Cavs can do better if they are willing to trade him.

Nope, no one at all.

Varejao is likely a free agent at year's end (player option), so I don't think he'd be worth it. After watching Brad Miller's ole defense the past few weeks, I've soured on him.

Personally, I'd like to see the Hawks keep the pick in hopes Aldrich will fall, or gamble on a young PG with upside. But, I can certainly understand the logic of a trade if it happens...

Nope, no one at all.

Varejao is likely a free agent at year's end (player option), so I don't think he'd be worth it. After watching Brad Miller's ole defense the past few weeks, I've soured on him.

Personally, I'd like to see the Hawks keep the pick in hopes Aldrich will fall, or gamble on a young PG with upside. But, I can certainly understand the logic of a trade if it happens...

If the Hawks are well above .500 at the deadline i think that would discourage Sund from making any trades. Unless he can somehow work out a deal for Hinrich i would probably pass on most trade ideas.

• Premium Member
If the Hawks are well above .500 at the deadline i think that would discourage Sund from making any trades. Unless he can somehow work out a deal for Hinrich i would probably pass on most trade ideas.

Well, but that's the thing.

You could actually package Claxton, a player whose departure wouldn't affect the chemistry, if you included a first round pick. Maybe something like Zaza+Claxton+pick -for- Biedrins. Or something like that...

• Moderators
Zaza+Claxton+pick -for- Biedrins. Or something like that...

I would do that in a second but why would a team give up on a legit young big man for the poo-poo platter like Speedy, Zaza and a mid-first?

• Premium Member
I would do that in a second but why would a team give up on a legit young big man for the poo-poo platter like Speedy, Zaza and a mid-first?

Shush. Don't burst a man's pipe dreams.

Seriously, I can't think of any realistic deals...the biggest problem is the Hawks' need to keep their 2010 contracts under control.

Zaza+Solo for Foster works salary wise. That same deal plus one of the end of bench guys like O or Gardner works for Pryz. Zaza+Speedy can get you big bad brad miller. That Pryz deal works for Nick Collison. Josh Boone might be available depending on which of the young bigs the Nets want to keep - he has a small-ish salary so the Nets would probably want to pack on a bad salary like Najera.

Otherwise I think the quality is too low or the value to team too high for anyone to look into a trade.

The other question is in fit. I'm not sure how well a limited jumping jack like Pryz or Boone would fit into Woody's system. Woody likes his bigs to set up away from the basket to create space underneath. Woody only plays Solo as a last chance sort of guy and he was an efficient 5-5-1.5 guy while Josh was out.

• Premium Member

My thought was that Brad Miller would:

1. Help the offensive execution.

2. Make it more likely that Bibby re-signs.

3. Provide a very valuable trading chip at the Feb. 2010 trading deadline.

Sacramento is looking for an expiring contract for him, but with the insurance payments, I think they'd consider Miller -for- Zaza+Speedy.