• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nazr to the Grizz??

Diesel

Grizzlies president Jerry West claims that he isn't done remaking the Grizzlies. "Our roster isn't going to look like it looks right now," West told the Memphis Commercial Appeal. "If we're able to do one more thing, I think we'll have two or three players at every position."

That one more thing is adding a tough, defensive-minded center. West, apparently, has the goods to get one. Wesley Person and Brevin Knight, both in the last year of their contracts, are the trade bait. Can the Grizzlies get a team like the Warriors (Erick Dampier) or the Hawks (Nazr Mohammed) to give up a big guy for more cap space next summer?

If they don't, they'll be stuck with some serious logjams in the backcourt. West told the Commercial Appeal on Wednesday that Michael Dickerson is recovering nicely from his two year sports hernia injury.

"He's been doing really well," West said of Dickerson. West said that Posey will be the starting two guard for the team. That means that Dickerson, Person and rookie Dahntay Jones will have to fight it out for minutes. The team also has four point guards in Knight, Jason Williams, Earl Watson and rookie Troy Bell.

It sounds to me like we will be doing the same thing we did w/ Dog. we will get only cap space i return for Nazr. And we wonder why we can't get fans in the arena????

• Premium Member

My biggest fear is that we trade Nazr for Brevin.

I have no problem with Knight but if we get Knight...

1. It stunts the development of DD.

2. It forces JT back to SG sometimes.

3. It means that we are looking at FAcy.

FAcy is such a losing proposition for us. There are no FAs that are willing to come here. So in essence, we are just creating room to make money.

• Premium Member

Memphis gets Nazr/1st (Philly).

Washington gets Battier/Owens/Archibald/Humphreys.

Atlanta gets Hughes/Heywood

This deal would get everybody what they want....

The Wiz gets Battier. NOW that Arenas is in town, there's really no need for Hughes. Battier is that Sf that they have needed as much as I would love to have Battier....

Memphis gets Nazr. Also, they clear some clutter. But they are pining over our C, give him up.

Atlanta gets:

Hughes... Who can play sufficiently next to JT. I think Hughes may be a better PG than JT.

Heywood.... It's no secret, I have always liked Heywood. With White and Brown... Heywood isn't a neccessity.

We can play:

JT/Hughes/CC/SAR/Theo...

Looking much better. I don't consider Diaw a Sf, so, we'd still have to find one but for you others....

JT/Hughes/Diaw/SAR/Theo.

• Admin

THe only reason to do this is to get cap space for next season. It does not benefit the current team. We give up a good big man (which are hard to come by) and depth up front for yet another tiny pg. I don't want BK back. He is a nice little player but with this current team we do not need him at all. We have JT, DD and now Diaw who can handle the ball. There is no room for him on the roster imo.

Hawks get:

Battier

Wright

Grizzlies get:

Nazr

???

???

Heck, just do a 2 for one. We have open spaces and they

have more than 12 under contract. I suppose salaries

won't match, but Griz get the big man they want, we

get a back-up center to replace Nazr and Battier to

replace Ira N.

"It is believed the Griz are working toward a deal that would net either Atlanta's Nazr Mohammed or Golden State's Adonal Foyle or Erick Dampier. Also, Seattle reportedly is willing to part with Jerome James or Vitaly Potapenko. Conventional wisdom suggests that Griz guards Brevin Knight and Wesley Person are valuable trade bait because their contracts end after the 2003-04 season." Memphis Commercial Appeal

------

actually according to the article above that was on insidehoops.com, it looks as though they are trying to ship maybe knight and person for a big man.. i hope not..

i really really want battier here.. i would even give up that 76ers 1st rounder..

I would do the Nazr/CC for Battier/Knight for sure. Knight would be 3rd string not taking from Dickau's minutes unless he is playing absolutely horrible. (If I had it my way) If that is asking for too much, though, I'd still probably go for Nazr/CC for Person. Person would be able to start here and I'm sure he'd like that. Can handle the ball, deadly from 3, and is a solid veteran. I'd like to go after Drobnjak is we traded Nazr for something other than a bigman but it seems he will go to Denver. Sign Steve Smith, DerMarr Johnson and a big man.

JT/Dickau

Person/Smith/Hansen

DerMarr/Diaw

SAR/Hendu

Theo/???

how does Washington need Battier? They have Stack, who can play either 2/3, Hayes who might can play the 2 but is really a three, and Jeffries, who's a 3/4, but really a 3 cause Kwame's going to get a lot of pt at the 4 along with L8. Makes no sense for them.

• Premium Member

the biggest hole is at SG IMHO. I would trade Nazr/CC for Person/Archibald in a heartbeat. (BTW, the Grizzlies cannot take back fewer players than they send out b/c they have 15 under contract IIRC). Then,

Split the MLE between:

1. Stephen Jackson - 3 yrs., $11M w/ a mutual option for the 4th year.

2. Steve Smith - 2 yrs., $3M

3. Sign Alvin Jones, Jr. or a similar young C to round out the frontcourt.

JT/Dickau

Person/Smith/Hansen

SJax/Diaw

SAR/Henderson/Archibald

Theo/Jones

I think this lineup could make the playoffs in the EC. Next year, you either offer Person the MLE or give it to another SG. Draft a player to replace white stiff Archibald as well.

I'll take Person ove Battier, as well. And I'm a biased Dukie...

Person is what this team needs...a shooter. Didn't we draft Diaw hoping that he would be our SF of the future? Battier sure as [censored] can't play SG.

Bonus, both Knight and Person come off the books after next year.

Give me Person/Knight for Nazr/CC, if that works.

JT/Knight/Dickau

Person/Hansen

Diaw/Holcomb

SAR/Hendu

Theo/???

Still 2 spots left to fill...sign a BU Center and another swingman and we're set.